Next Card College Volume?

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I’ve spent a long time slowly working Royal Road and admittedly a good amount of YouTube tutorials. I want to continue into Card College so that I can start learning more sleights the proper way. Would it be bad to start on Volume 2 instead of Volume 1 since there seems to be a massive amount of redundancy between Royal Road and Volume 1? Ideally, I would just purchase all the volumes of Card College, however, at the moment I really only allocated extra funds toward one, so any advice is appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up cheaper, used versions of the volumes, that would be great!

Jun 3, 2020
I haven't read the Card College books so I'll leave that part of the answer to someone else.

What I will mention though, is a great follow up to RRTCM is Expert Card Technique. If you're looking for the next step in the world of sleights with no redundancies after reading RRTCM, that's my recommendation.

Reactions: Aristotilean

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
I haven't read the Card College books so I'll leave that part of the answer to someone else.

What I will mention though, is a great follow up to RRTCM is Expert Card Technique. If you're looking for the next step in the world of sleights with no redundancies after reading RRTCM, that's my recommendation.

Thanks for your advice. I definitely plan on picking up Expert Card Technique in the near future. The reason I’m interested in the Card College series at the moment is that I feel I could benefit from a different style of material presentation. Hugard’s books are obviously brilliant and great resources, but they can be a little dense for me at some points, and I think more clear guidance might be good for me at the moment. If you have any other suggestions about books that might fit this need, I’n definitely willing to consider anything

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Get Volume 1. You will find that there are things you aren't doing correctly and it will get you used to Giobbi's style of writing / teaching. A lot of the later volumes refer back to things in the earlier volumes. Doing them the way described in the earlier volumes helps with sleights in later volumes.

For example, I would guess that most magicians that have learned from other sources don't have the various grips exactly right. It is worth re-learning stuff to confirm you are doing it the right way.

Reactions: Theorist19

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
Thanks for your advice. I ended up getting the first volume as you recommended to review my fundamental techniques.

On a related note, I recently gained access to a large private collection of magic books and memorabilia. Due to the the pandemic, the curator of the collection is currently and temporarily preparing digital scans of material to select patrons (in full compliance with copyright laws and such as this is a research institution). I was wondering whether you have any recommendations as to what other books I should be looking at, or might be helpful in the future that are not easily available (i.e. out-of-print or prohibitively expensive). To be clear, I fully intend on supporting the creators of the material when possible (my finances are very strained so I rarely have monet to spend on tricks or books), however many of the resources in their collection are only available on the secondary market or substantially old.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Definitely start with Volume 1 before Volume 2. I worked carefully through some of the basic sections, and was amazed by how many small things I had been doing incorrectly for years, or could improve by doing it Giobbi's way. It's foundational, and well worth while going through from the beginning.

Besides the books, also consider picking up the companion video course for Card College 1 & 2. You can get it from Giobbi himself via digital download - see more information about this here (including details about how to download a free lesson) .

Apr 1, 2020
I agree with all of the above about the Card College books. I just recently reread them all. And I can't believe the little things I pick up each time I reread them - whether it's the first volume or the last.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results