Advanced Level Card Moves

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
It's alright to keep looking for new books and want to learn more. I often get new books when I'm learning a move and apparently 'that' book has a much better explanation than 'this' one.

But there's an essay by Darwin Ortiz called the Next Book Syndrome and C.U.P.S. I think there's a lot of value in checking out that too.

:)

Reactions: Dustrod
Jun 3, 2020
It's alright to keep looking for new books and want to learn more. I often get new books when I'm learning a move and apparently 'that' book has a much better explanation than 'this' one.

But there's an essay by Darwin Ortiz called the Next Book Syndrome and C.U.P.S. I think there's a lot of value in checking out that too.

:)

I can't find the essay but I've had it paraphrased to me a few times so I think I know the jist.
I'm personally too compulsive, yet. I still have a lot to learn so my purchases have been well thought out and thoroughly exhausted. I take pretty extensive notes on everything I read and retain a high percent of it. When I get excited it's because there's still so much I don't know yet and I'm hungry to learn. I've been balancing my book buying with my going back and reviewing my notes and practicing what I know. I do get a little more excited than I should to get my next book so I'm not completely denying my own C.U.P.S. but it's still at a healthy level for me & I think I keep it pretty balanced.

Jun 3, 2020
@Scodischarge question for you. I'm 100 pages into Pure Imagination. Did you find any of the descriptions hard to follow? There's a few that I was completely lost and had to re-read several times, some times still not getting it completely. Some times I just felt like important parts of the description were minimal and could be easily overlooked. Other times I thought it could be worded clearer. I'm curious if you thought this or if it's just me? I'm totally ready to accept that it's just me as I don't have years of experience. Just wanted a second opinion. I've been pretty fortunate so far that every book I've read was very thorough and easy to follow.

Nov 3, 2018
There are a few descriptions I had to re-read a couple of times, and even one or two times at which I had the nagging suspicion that the author just messed up the whole left-right thing. But for the most part I find the descriptions quite easy to follow. Which effects are you having trouble with?

Jun 3, 2020
I don't have the book in front of me but I believe the most recent effect I struggled with was called "Just One Move". I've finally found a handling that works fore me but there was a time for sure when he said to have "a break under the bottom 2 cards". Kind of hard to have a break below the bottom 2 cards. I think he meant "above" but in the context there were several other places he could've been referring to.
Also the move with the right hand that is responsible for placing the red cards in position was written in a way that I had to re-read it 5 or 6 times before I knew what he meant. I think 1 extra line could've cleared it up quite well.

The effect after this has a different handling of the same effect but there's a part where a card is placed in the middle of the deck and by the end it's not supposed to be. I've re-read that part 5 or 6 times and at the end, it's still in the middle of the deck, alone like it's not supposed to be. That one I finally had to just move on from. I don't know what I'm missing.

Apr 1, 2020
Ernest's By Forces Unseen is going to be reprinted very soon. I've already filmed a testimonial for it for Penguin. They're that close.

Jason
Awesome news.

I had recently talked with somebody from Penguin and they had hinted that it may be coming out in the future. But they wouldn't give me such a definitive answer.

Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results