Impromptu Magic for kids

Jun 8, 2020
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for magic that I could preform for kids (around 6-10) casually that isn't sponge balls or cups and balls, like card tricks. I've been doing magic since January and anytime I am babysitting or around kids that age (which is fairly often) I think it would be fun to do a couple of card tricks for them that won't completely bore or confuse them :)

Hopefully that makes sense, and thank you for any suggestions!

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Do you have any books? You want something very clear and easy to follow. I would do something similar to Invisible Transit (2 cards magically switch places) from Expert Card Technique. As far as books go, Scarne on Card Tricks and Fulves' Self Working Card Magic should have some good tricks for this. Someone else would be in a better position to recommend specific tricks from those. But let us know what books you have or what kind of books you are looking to get and we can tell you our favorites from those.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@DavidL11229 said, Scarne on Card Tricks is your best bet - Calling the Cards, Upside Down Deck, Traveling Aces, Do As I Do, Nomenclature, Hit the Deck and the Betting Card Trick - and those are the good ones off the top of my head of the first 43 tricks. There are a total of 155 tricks.

I'd also recommend Color Monte -- its not impromptu, but they will love it.

Most card routines that don't depend on the value of the cards (e.g. dealing a poker hand) are good. Routines like Triumph, color changing deck, Out of this World and card to impossible location (wallet, pocket, etc.) all are good.

Reactions: Guinea15
Jun 8, 2020
Do you have any books?
Right now I have Expert Card technique, The Royal Road To Card Magic, and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. I'm also looking to buy Card College (just lost a bidding war today on ebay for the first two volumes, dang it)

Thank you for all of the suggestions!! I'll have to buy Scarne on Card tricks.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
A book I'd recommend that's full of effects that would be perfect for that age group is A Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar by Allan Zola Kronzek.

Just... look it up on Amazon. Chapters 7 through 9 will give you a half-dozen solid card effects, all suited for kids. Along the way, you'll also learn the principles behind magic, several other wonderful (non-card) effects, how to script, how to routine.

The book is a wonderful introduction to pretty much everything.

By the time you're through, you'll have multiple effects that you can put together in various routines (and you'll know how to do that). You'll have ideas for scripting (which you'll know how to to do, too), and you'll have the ability to know those kid's socks off.

It is probably the best $8.95 I've spent in magic.

And I've spent a LOT in magic.

No matter what you do, good on you for wanting to entertain the young folks.

The Roman poet Horace said that the purpose of the poet is to educate or entertain, or both together.

And what are magic, if not a form of poetry for the senses?

What are magicians, if not poets?

Jun 3, 2020
I've been performing every time I see my nephews and nieces (same age group you mentioned) and each time I try to zero in on their interest more and more. I've received the biggest reactions so far from card transpositions, extremely quick & visual tricks, and effects where the magic happens right in their hands.
Out of the 3 books you already own, Royal Road has the most effects that I personally still enjoy performing but I also second the Scarne book. Effects like "Do As I Do" (as RealityOne mentioned) are hands on and get a great reaction.

Of course if you wanted to freak them out rather than amuse them, you could buy Banachek's - Psychokinetic Touches pamphlet. It's better if you have a little bit of a crowd ( I do it at family get togethers) but I've been using my younger relatives as assistants when I perform it and their parents (my siblings) watch in complete shock and amazement, as do the rest of the children.

Reactions: Guinea15
Jun 8, 2020
A book I'd recommend that's full of effects that would be perfect for that age group is A Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar by Allan Zola Kronzek.

Just... look it up on Amazon. Chapters 7 through 9 will give you a half-dozen solid card effects, all suited for kids. Along the way, you'll also learn the principles behind magic, several other wonderful (non-card) effects, how to script, how to routine.

The book is a wonderful introduction to pretty much everything.

By the time you're through, you'll have multiple effects that you can put together in various routines (and you'll know how to do that). You'll have ideas for scripting (which you'll know how to to do, too), and you'll have the ability to know those kid's socks off.

It is probably the best $8.95 I've spent in magic.

And I've spent a LOT in magic.

No matter what you do, good on you for wanting to entertain the young folks.

The Roman poet Horace said that the purpose of the poet is to educate or entertain, or both together.

Bought and read it, and it was (and will be) really helpful! It's nice to have a guide on scripting and routining :) Thank you for the recommendation!

I love that. Poet can mean so much more than we credit.

Reactions: willtupper
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results