Apr 25, 2020
Hello!
I have a question. Does anyone know the name of the force used in this video:
?
(Starts at 2:53). If not, do you know any similar? Thank you so much! Have a great day.
Sincerely,
The Budding Magician

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
It's not a force. Banachek covers some of this in psychological subtleties, though there are probably better sources for starting out. Others will have suggestions for you on this If you learn mentalism/mental magic you will eventually learn things like this. It's best to have a goal to learn the basics than to focus on learning a specific effect such as this. To accomplish this effect you should have a foundation in addition to the method.

There are other threads on how to get started in, but I'm sure others will come in here as well. Practical mental magic is always worth getting, but I'm not qualified to give a more comprehensive list.

Reactions: The Budding Artist

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Something to keep in mind - you never know if you are seeing the whole story on these videos.

This could easily be 'pre show' work. Or it could be, essentially, a variation of Cog by Ben Seward. Or it could be any number of standard contemporary mental magic or mentalism techniques.

The thing is - if you're focused on the mechanical method, you're missing the point.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hello!
I have a question. Does anyone know the name of the force used in this video:
?
(Starts at 2:53). If not, do you know any similar? Thank you so much! Have a great day.
Sincerely,
The Budding Magician
He could've forced a card (or had him pick a card whose identity he knew through a stacked deck, memorised deck, or a peek) beforehand, kept aside the deck (so as to "have no cards" on him), then instead of telling him to think of his card, he played with the words and told him to think of a card (in case the guy was confused for a bit and then asked him "A card as in any card or my card?" Chris could probably cut it out of the video).

Or he could have used a mentalism technique.

He is a smart magician and has interest in video editing, my friend. It's a lethal combination, so trying to reconstruct the mechanics of his tricks exactly from a performance video (or trying to reconstruct ANY trick from ANY performance video where the performer has an input in the edits) is impossible.

Apr 25, 2020
Hey everyone.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! Is there a way to use physiological subtleties to have a spectator choose a certain card or close? I know of magician’s choice, but is there something more deceptive? Again, thank you!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hey everyone.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! Is there a way to use physiological subtleties to have a spectator choose a certain card or close? I know of magician’s choice, but is there something more deceptive? Again, thank you!
Look into Derren Brown's work. He has a lecture DVD where he teaches you how to psychologically force a particular card (seven of hearts, if I'm not mistaken), but I'm afraid I don't know the specific name of the DVD. Banachek's Psychological Series also cover a multitude of psychological forces. Dee's Anate is also good. Dai Vernon's Five Card Mental Force is works freakishly well.

But regardless, be aware that the magician's choice is extremely deceptive. You don't want to underestimate it.
Good luck!
:)

Apr 25, 2020
Look into Derren Brown's work. He has a lecture DVD where he teaches you how to psychologically force a particular card (seven of hearts, if I'm not mistaken), but I'm afraid I don't know the specific name of the DVD. Banachek's Psychological Series also cover a multitude of psychological forces. Dee's Anate is also good. Dai Vernon's Five Card Mental Force is works freakishly well.

But regardless, be aware that the magician's choice is extremely deceptive. You don't want to underestimate it.
Good luck!
:)
Thank you so much! I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results