Good Tricks For School Environment?

Nov 13, 2019
Anyone got any good links to tricks that I could perform in class. I don't want to bring in cards etc. because that'll be quite noticeable by the teacher. I also cant bring in something like a sven pad as that will be broken by the end of the day.
Some reason people at my school have suddenly wanted to see a few magic tricks (probably because my quality of content on instagram has improved imo) though it is probably just a quick faze.
I've already done a equivocation trick with coins and tried a center tear but that kind of went wrong as I couldn't misdirect them to get the read.
Anyone got any ideas and links (preferably free) for tricks I could perform that also end clean as my peers want to inspect everything.
(Phones aren't allowed in my school sadly so I can't do a phone trick)
Any help is appreciated:D

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
What would you consider your skill level to be? Are you just getting started or have you been doing magic already for awhile? What grade are you in?

before you answer here are just a few universal ideas:
-Book Test: you can use any book or bring in a book test gimmick you already own. I just uploaded a book test idea this week if you wanna take a look.
-Basic SOH: If you can learn how to perform basic moves like retention vanishes and false transfers you can perform with just about any small object. Erasers, coins, paper balls, etc.
-Rubber band magic: There are TONS of rubber band ideas but the simplest is something called “crazy man’s handcuffs.”
-Mentalism: You can use basic one-ahead techniques to do some pretty insane mentalism with regular index cards or prices of paper. This will allow you to perform gimmickless.

use your imagination! Honestly there are tons of things you can do usingbideas you already know and just adapting them to school supplies.

Do some prediction tricks. Also, I don't know but could you keep your cards in you backpack or something? I personally know that if your playing with cards right after school or at lunch at least at my school they won't do anything. I don't know if this will help (I don't know your age) but as I am personally on zoom school, try YouTube for tricks. I have found some good ones. Also, you can check out the marketplace here on T11 and just on the normal tricks for some good ones. I know there is at least one post-it note trick on T11. I don't know if it is doable at school, but the prop seems good. I hope this helps!

Nov 13, 2019
What would you consider your skill level to be? Are you just getting started or have you been doing magic already for awhile? What grade are you in?.
I'll try not to big myself up but I think I'm pretty decent, I'm getting to the point where I am finding it harder to find new tricks and mostly just practicing my current set (though it is entirely cards my set). I'm English (I know limey scum), but I'm 15 years old.

-Book Test: you can use any book or bring in a book test gimmick you already own. I just uploaded a book test idea this week if you wanna take a look.
Nice plug! (Jk I enjoy your stuff I've seen it on the marketplace). I'll have a look at your idea. It may need to be a repeatable book test though as its tricky to perform for specific groups as people in my classes my overlap.

-Basic SOH: If you can learn how to perform basic moves like retention vanishes and false transfers you can perform with just about any small object. Erasers, coins, paper balls, etc.
I did a few basic french drops today but wasn't the cleanest though did fool a few people. I am going to try and learn some coin tricks but they are harder to find on yt than the thousands of card tricks.

-Rubber band magic: There are TONS of rubber band ideas but the simplest is something called “crazy man’s handcuffs.”
THIS, is a good idea.

-Mentalism: You can use basic one-ahead techniques to do some pretty insane mentalism with regular index cards or prices of paper. This will allow you to perform gimmickless.
I personally don't like one ahead I don't know why, I think its because I thinks it easy to figure out though I may try it out and see how it goes.

I personally know that if your playing with cards right after school or at lunch at least at my school they won't do anything.
Some guy has some banter/beef with me as I tied up his bag to the school table and he was late for science, and he had undone my bag a few times (we're mates but he is still a bit of a d*ckhead sometimes). Plus I don't really want to be disturb while I'm eating my lunch, I'm mostly thinking for in my boring lessons.

I have found some good ones.
Most of the good tricks I learn on youtube are either card related or I would have used them on my Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/arrik_magician/ if your interested (shameless plug ik)
I am going to go through and delete certain poor ones as I want to set it up more business-like and I have pre-edited some good videos (imo) to upload, and I am working on a big trailer type project probably for Halloween deadline.

New I just wan't to add that a pencil trick would also be good. Those are hard to do in front of peers who want to look at everything though.
Do you mean like a pencil vanish? I've done the pen vanish a few times as a joke to mess with my mates and a cigarette type vanish with a small pencil.

I have Karl Fulves guide to mental magic or something like that, I may skim through that to see what I can find

Thanks for the help so far and I hope this answers some of your questions :D

Ok so I just wanna say that I don't know your schedule. If you don't have time at lunch, when are you doing magic. Also, what timezone are you in. I live in California so right now it is 3:10. I was thinking about a pencil reverse also. I won't be online for a while so don't expect another response until tomorrow. Also I am confused about what a *plug* is. Advertising?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Ok so I just wanna say that I don't know your schedule. If you don't have time at lunch, when are you doing magic. Also, what timezone are you in. I live in California so right now it is 3:10. I was thinking about a pencil reverse also. I won't be online for a while so don't expect another response until tomorrow. Also I am confused about what a *plug* is. Advertising?

he was making a joke about me advertising an effect I published here on the market. :) ;) There are tons of great artists here anyway. May be a good idea to just dive through them.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
There are some amazing ideas that are either 100% impromptu or seemingly impromptu that could work here in the marketplace. Lol not just my stuff ;) InstaForce is a great one of you are allowed to have iPhones in school.

As for being english, I have plenty of friends from across the pond. Maybe I’ll meet you at Blackpool someday!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Anyone got any good links to tricks that I could perform in class. I don't want to bring in cards etc. because that'll be quite noticeable by the teacher. I also cant bring in something like a sven pad as that will be broken by the end of the day.
Some reason people at my school have suddenly wanted to see a few magic tricks (probably because my quality of content on instagram has improved imo) though it is probably just a quick faze.
I've already done a equivocation trick with coins and tried a center tear but that kind of went wrong as I couldn't misdirect them to get the read.
Anyone got any ideas and links (preferably free) for tricks I could perform that also end clean as my peers want to inspect everything.
(Phones aren't allowed in my school sadly so I can't do a phone trick)
Any help is appreciated:D
Book tests are great. They automatically fit in a school environment. There are plenty of book tests which are repeatable and also impromptu.

In fact, any prediction effect wins (as pointed out earlier). Keep going through Karl Fulves' book (I assume you're referring to Self-Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves). :)

Cards weren't allowed in my school either but in fifth grade, I'd carry them in my pocket and do tricks during recess (which lasted for 30/40 minutes (depending on the day) ). This meant I'd literally gobble down food as soon as the school bell rang to signal the start of recess, but well, you have to sacrifice something to gain something.

I did a few basic french drops today but wasn't the cleanest though did fool a few people. I am going to try and learn some coin tricks but they are harder to find on yt than the thousands of card tricks.
True, but that's also the reason coin effects end up looking better than card effects (when properly performed, of course). I'd recommend getting Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. That book alone should set you up on a great path for coin magic. A lot of the sleights in it are even largely considered public domain! Coin magic also has the benefit of becoming "Any-small-handheld-object magic" easily.

If you want to stick to You Tube for the time being, I'd recommend you focus on learning the basic sleights. Do intensive research on them.

However, if you're hesitating to pick up coin magic books because of the price tags, then I'd suggest coinvanish.com . They are really thorough with explanations.

Aug 4, 2020
Bayville, NJ
You can do pen or pencil tricks. Pencil up nose or through the cheek are very visual and alway good for a few laughs. If you have loops you can bring, you can do some great levitations. Mentalism prediction tricks are awesome as well. Just have fun and hope it doesn’t distract from the class. (Sorry don’t mean to sound like a dad.)

Ely

Jun 13, 2016
If you can avoid it, try not to learn your magic from Youtube. The quality of instruction there is inconsistent and often poor. In my experience, many videos presume that you already have the foundations and gloss over very important but little details. Back in middle school many years ago, I started learning magic from Youtube, and it completely screwed me. While I could give you a litany of what went wrong, I'll tell you the one with the biggest impact: my grip. When watching videos, they would all say was "put the deck in your hand." Me being the naïve 7th grader I was, I couldn't tell if they wanted me to mirror them (leaving the deck in my right), or copy them (leaving the deck in my left). It was a fifty-fifty chance, and I chose wrong. To this day, I still struggle with basic sleights in the correct hand, although I am still trying to correct that.

I second picking up Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. It's a fantastic book that teaches you the fundamentals as well as really nice coin tricks. A trick called the "Gadabout Coins" is in that book, and it was my go-to trick in high school.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results