Saturday Night Contest - A Tribute to David Roth

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
It is with great sorrow that one of magic's greats has passed this week. When you think of coin magic, there is one name that always comes to mind. David Roth. I look to the words of Joshua Jay, who wrote this wonderful tribute to David: "David will be remembered forever for his impact on coin magic. He was also part of a continuum in magic. When he sat around a table and talked magic, you weren’t just talking to David. Through David you were talking to Vernon and Kaps and Leipzig and Flosso and a hundred others. He oozed wisdom—and sprinkled in a healthy dose of gossip to keep it edgy. Another giant gone too soon."

Because David left such a huge impact on coin magic, we want this weekend to be a tribute to him and the legacy that he has left behind. The only challenge this week is to create and/or perform your favorite piece of coin magic. It can be something you created yourself, or an already existing effect. All we ask is that there are no video edits such as camera tricks. We also want to see a smooth performance, so execution will play a giant factor in the judging process. Creativity will also play a minor role.

Film and upload your effect to either YouTube, Instagram, or Vimeo, and post the link to your entry in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 17th. Once time is up, we will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you take home? 1,000 Elite Points and a bundle of Coin Magic downloads: Mirage by Alex Geiser, CoinONE by Homer Liwag, Alchemy by Ben Seidman, Trifecta by Homer Liwag, threeFry, Hellbound Spellbound, and Unicoin by Chris Kenner.

We look forward to seeing your tributes to David!

SudarshanSorcerieS

Elite Member
May 15, 2020
Boston, MA
It is with great sorrow that one of magic's greats has passed this week. When you think of coin magic, there is one name that always comes to mind. David Roth. I look to the words of Joshua Jay, who wrote this wonderful tribute to David: "David will be remembered forever for his impact on coin magic. He was also part of a continuum in magic. When he sat around a table and talked magic, you weren’t just talking to David. Through David you were talking to Vernon and Kaps and Leipzig and Flosso and a hundred others. He oozed wisdom—and sprinkled in a healthy dose of gossip to keep it edgy. Another giant gone too soon."

Because David left such a huge impact on coin magic, we want this weekend to be a tribute to him and the legacy that he has left behind. The only challenge this week is to create and/or perform your favorite piece of coin magic. It can be something you created yourself, or an already existing effect. All we ask is that there are no video edits such as camera tricks. We also want to see a smooth performance, so execution will play a giant factor in the judging process. Creativity will also play a minor role.

Film and upload your effect to either YouTube, Instagram, or Vimeo, and post the link to your entry in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 17th. Once time is up, we will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you take home? 1,000 Elite Points and a bundle of Coin Magic downloads: Mirage by Alex Geiser, CoinONE by Homer Liwag, Alchemy by Ben Seidman, Trifecta by Homer Liwag, threeFry, Hellbound Spellbound, and Unicoin by Chris Kenner.

I have a question...
Can we mute the audio and add like music in the background since it technically isn't a video edit? Or is that bannable?

Dec 4, 2020

I tried uploading it in Instagram as I don't have a YouTube channel or Vimeo, but Instagram cropped the video so the whole frame couldn't be seen, so I deleted it. Can I upload it here directly?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I tried uploading it in Instagram as I don't have a YouTube channel or Vimeo, but Instagram cropped the video so the whole frame couldn't be seen, so I deleted it. Can I upload it here directly?
I had the exact same problem, instagrams cropping is wonky. If your vid is over a minute it goes to IGTV and crops differently too! So annoying. I had trouble uploading my vid directly to here, likely a size issue? Might work for you, it’s the button to the right of “post reply”, it works for me with pics. YouTube is free if you have no other options, hope you figure it out.

Dec 4, 2020
I had the exact same problem, instagrams cropping is wonky. If your vid is over a minute it goes to IGTV and crops differently too! So annoying. I had trouble uploading my vid directly to here, likely a size issue? YouTube is free if you have no other options, hope you figure it out.
I have an idea!! After the video is done, just edit it to add blank space at the end, so that it's over 1 minute, and then it can go to IGTV. Thanks man!

TheChimneySweep

Elite Member
Oct 29, 2018
Germany
www.instagram.com
Today the date 17 Jnauary of the year 2021 marks 100 years since another magician wich is not anymore between us illusionist P.T. Selbit did cut for the first time on a stage, in London's Finsbury Park Empire a person placed in a box in half. So today I chose to use two Kings from a deck of playing cards into my coin routine to mark those big names: Percy Thomas Tibbles
and David Roth one of the kings in coin magic.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKKX08VjLtY/

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Bummer hearing about Mr. Roth. Looking forward to everyone else’s videos though! Here is a triple spellbound I enjoy.
Congrats Josh! Absolutely loved your performance - everything was incredibly smooth and to the point, and a great effect to match. Please contact our support team to claim your prize!

We would also like to give a few big shout-outs to Guinea15 for the wonderful presentation, Galganosteven for the smooth performance, and T.van.Riotson for the creativity. Excellent work to everyone who entered this week and wanted to pay tribute to David. We thoroughly enjoyed watching all of your submissions!

Let us also take time to remember the legendary Siegfried Fischbacher, who also passed earlier this week. We will greatly miss these one of a kind icons of their craft.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results