Getting Panic into your routines

Sep 1, 2007
For all of you who owns and performs Panic, how do you incorporate it into your routines?

Aaron says he opens with it, but personally I don't really like the idea. Performing Panic could be risky at times, and I feel that an opener should be 100% fool proof, because the spectators doesn't know you yet and how good you are, and getting caught on your opener would give the spectators a very, very bad impression. Also, when you perform Panic as an opener, you have to walk up to the specs with the deck in your hands already. This cannot work in a lot of situations, so again, I don't like the idea of this as an opener.

So, i want to know for the people who performs Panic a lot, how do you fit it in your routine? If you use it in the middle or as a closer, how do you get into position for it? PM me if saying things here may lead to exposure.

Dec 5, 2007
For me it's situational. Sometimes I open with it and others I don't. For example: If I don't open with it i'll do some tricks and when I am getting my reactions (Durring the laughing and wtfs) i'll get ready by getting panic out of my left pocket and then going into the routine.

If I open with it normally it would be when someone asks me to do some magic (They found out somehow) I find it easier to get into Panic when someone is asking me for some magic rather than me bringing some magic (lol).

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Well I don't really know how you could do it in the middle or closer but I guess doing card tricks then do a trick that doesn't use your deck(maybe a coin vanishes so you can say near the end of panic "like the coins I can make the deck vanish" or something). this will leave your deck in the pocket so when you pull the deck out you can get your gimmick with you as well without any suspicious moves.

Dec 5, 2007
Well basically you have Panic in your left or right pocket and then after doing a card routine that leaves them stunned, just enjoy yourself with the crowd. They laugh, you can laugh too. While they're asking you either "How did you do that!?" or "That was great, can you show me more!?", use this as your misdirection needed to get Panic ready (Trust me it works every time).

Dec 22, 2007
panic is the first trick i do in my layout i do the advanced handleing which is the best way cause its long and entertaining plus theirs lots of presentations for when they jump into the pockets and like aaron said on the DVD when you have the deck appear in the back pocket you could pull out a gimmicked deck. the deck i pull out is biting sensations its great or in a flash by jay sankey.

Oct 6, 2007
Although I don't really have shows so routining tricks arent really something I focus on, I show Panic as an opener.

It is practically foolproof, and with simple misdirection, the gimmick can be put away very easily.

Setting up the trick however, is quite hard to do in front of the spectators, so by going up to people with panic ready is what I do.

Oct 25, 2007
With misdirection, you can do anything. Just watch your audience. If the spectators are relaxed, and you are between effects, all you have to do is talk to them and do the switch. Pretend to place the deck in your left hand, and go for a marker in your back pocket. The rest should be obvious. Pull out the marker leaving the deck behind.

Doing this as your first trick may allow the spectator's to say that you didnt bring the deck completely out of the box. (Even though you performed teh trick flawlessely)

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I dont really know yet. A friend got it for me for a Christmas present, I just learned the effect yesterday. Once i get it to performing status, i'll let you know!

-Brad

PS- I already have an idea for a signed version :p

Sep 1, 2007
Doing this as your first trick may allow the spectator's to say that you didnt bring the deck completely out of the box. (Even though you performed teh trick flawlessely)
Yes, this is what I'm saying. I would like them to know the whole deck is here first before doing the trick.

darosa.justin said:
Setting up the trick however, is quite hard to do in front of the spectators, so by going up to people with panic ready is what I do.
Yes and it wouldn't work in some, if not most situations.

coin_aholic said:
When I use it in the next few days, since its a vanishing deck of cards
I will prolly use it as a closer.
But you still have to pull the deck out.

Wesker said:
Well basically you have Panic in your left or right pocket and then after doing a card routine that leaves them stunned, just enjoy yourself with the crowd. They laugh, you can laugh too. While they're asking you either "How did you do that!?" or "That was great, can you show me more!?", use this as your misdirection needed to get Panic ready (Trust me it works every time).
This would work pretty good. Gotta try this out. However you have to do a trick with the kings before you do this.

Anymore suggestions people? I'd love to hear more.

Dec 5, 2007
Actually, I just keep the 4 kings and Panic in the same pocket, just make it look like I take the 4 kings off the top off the deck.

I find it odd that Aaron suggested using Panic as an opener. A year ago when he performed it at a Lecture, he used it as a closer for a short twenty-minute routine. Still to this day I cannot understand how he got the gaff there; I was totally caught off-guard. I was completely floored, it was a fantastic feeling. :D

Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
I find it odd that Aaron suggested using Panic as an opener. A year ago when he performed it at a Lecture, he used it as a closer for a short twenty-minute routine. Still to this day I cannot understand how he got the gaff there; I was totally caught off-guard. I was completely floored, it was a fantastic feeling. :D

Jordan

Didn't he teach it in his lecture? Or was it just a performance piece back then.

In the DVD he says he opens with Panic. However, in the street performances, I saw him walking up to the spectators with the full deck in his hand, then there was a cut and then he had the gaffs in position. Don't know how that happened. I wish he explained it on the DVD...

Didn't he teach it in his lecture? Or was it just a performance piece back then.

As it was a year ago, Panic was an unknown item among the magic community, and so it was only a performance. When I saw Aaron's Panic trailer here on Theory11, all those memories came rushing back - I could not believe it was being released, I though it would be "underground" forever.

I think it is a shame that this way of entering the trick was left out, but then again it does have it's up-side. It leaves to be creative and find our own methods. :)

Regards,
Jordan

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I want to go into a routine with the 4 kings after performing Panic. Anyone have a performance for the 4 kings they use. Also, I have the 4 skull kings from the red gaff deck at Ellusionist.

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
i actually emailed aaron about this and he provided me with a good idea. He suggested i place the gaffs in my back pocket one side of a postcard. then take my deck and remove the four kings, and place the deck into my back pocket on the other side of the postcard. He said to perform a trick using only the four kings, and in the several moments after the effect causally remove the gaffs from my back pocket, and proceed with panic.

Sep 1, 2007
I think it is a shame that this way of entering the trick was left out, but then again it does have it's up-side. It leaves to be creative and find our own methods. :)

Regards,
Jordan

Yeah, it is quite a shame. I think Aaron left it out for the sake of the more beginner members here, and probably also because he wanted to keep it to himself. :)

And by the way Jordan, I'm a big fan of your youtube videos. Your card handling is beautiful. You never fail to amaze me. Literally.

scott huff said:
i actually emailed aaron about this and he provided me with a good idea. He suggested i place the gaffs in my back pocket one side of a postcard. then take my deck and remove the four kings, and place the deck into my back pocket on the other side of the postcard. He said to perform a trick using only the four kings, and in the several moments after the effect causally remove the gaffs from my back pocket, and proceed with panic.

That seems like a pretty good idea, but I'm sure there's a better way.

I actually pmed Aaron about this too. He didn't reply. Yet (hopefully).

DannyT said:
I want to go into a routine with the 4 kings after performing Panic. Anyone have a performance for the 4 kings they use. Also, I have the 4 skull kings from the red gaff deck at Ellusionist.
Perhaps you can have the skull kings on the top of the deck and do a 4 for 4 with the gaffs, then procede with your trick.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
To be honest, I don't really know how you could practically use Panic if you don't open with it. It makes things so much easier if you just open with Panic. I would then proceed to (like Aaron says in the DVD) pull out my Invisible Deck, rather than the deck that I vanished. It's a very basic, but killer routine.

Sep 1, 2007
To be honest, I don't really know how you could practically use Panic if you don't open with it. It makes things so much easier if you just open with Panic. I would then proceed to (like Aaron says in the DVD) pull out my Invisible Deck, rather than the deck that I vanished. It's a very basic, but killer routine.

It would work as an opener if you just walk up to the specs with your gaffs ready, but thats not always the case. What if you were asked to perform something and you wanted to perform panic? That's really what I want. (without doing widespread panic)

Furthermore, how do you pull off the Invisible Deck after pulling it out? It's pretty hard to do the effect without a box.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results