Exposure questions

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
1.okay lets say for example i learned subway by dan and dave. If I master the the trick, and perform it lots of times for many different people, strangers, friends, family, is it wrong if I re-teach subway, giving the people advice on showmanship, and presentation when re-teaching the trick? But of course giving them credit. Is that wrong?

2.If any of us were to watch a tutorial on youtube, even a really bad one. Would it be wrong if we learn the trick from the tutorial, make it our own style, add our style of showmanship into the trick, perform for many people, and re-teach the trick, would that also be wrong?

Sep 3, 2007
Pennsylvania
1.okay lets say for example i learned subway by dan and dave. If I master the the trick, and perform it lots of times for many different people, strangers, friends, family, is it wrong if I re-teach subway, giving the people advice on showmanship, and presentation when re-teaching the trick? But of course giving them credit. Is that wrong?

It is really wrong if you teach spectators. If you teach magicians... I don't know, but it gives the sellers of the trick one less buyer, which I'm sure you wouldn't want if you were selling something. I think the makers of tricks would like to have their secrets respected so that they are not exposed to a lot of people for free, because they sell their secrets

2.If any of us were to watch a tutorial on youtube, even a really bad one. Would it be wrong if we learn the trick from the tutorial, make it our own style, add our style of showmanship into the trick, perform for many people, and re-teach the trick, would that also be wrong?

If you learn a trick off of YouTube, its the maker of the videos fault that its so publically exposed. You could make it your own, but if the effect is copyrighted, you need to give credit.

Aug 31, 2007
Simply put: Yes. It is wrong to teach it to others. Why perform if you're just going to teach it to your spectators? And I believe you already done so to ask these kinds of questions.

PS: Why would you want to learn from younoobs?:confused:

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
im not saying teaching it to spectators, to magicians, who are interested in learning magic, not the trick alone. And yes i admit i have taught it to people that's why I'm asking this to make it right if it is wrong. So to Magicians, is it wrong?

Sep 2, 2007
im not saying teaching it to spectators, to magicians, who are interested in learning magic, not the trick alone. And yes i admit i have taught it to people that's why I'm asking this to make it right if it is wrong. So to Magicians, is it wrong?
in my mind, no it is not. Becuase if that magciian has either common courtsey or would like to really learn the effect (having both would be nice) , then he should get all that $30 for the DVD. (didn;t say book becuase If you're still reading magic books, then it's gonna be hard as hell to find others that still are...please someone come and find me).

Also, as for exposing on Youtube, yes it is ethicically wrong...as long as you're exposing other people's material.

I find no problem with someone sharing somthing that they've created. I myself have taught some of my own creations to friends over youtube.

And as for the fact that a layperson might see something that I created and know the method....come on! serirously!

remember the masked magician? Well, quite a few poeple saw him exposing tricks, but who remembers him?

Either way, I've got to go bake cookies...f I missed anything, I'll be sure to remember when All the hate mail starts flowing in.

Better to get permission from the creators before attempting to teach someone else. It doesn't matter if you have mastered it or not. The fact is that it isn't your creation and in order to teach it to someone else you need to get permission.

Again only if the effect is yours can you teach it to someone else. If A creates an effect and decides to teach it to B, that's alright. If B decides to teach A's effect to C, that would be unethical unless he got permission from A. However, I'm wholly against youtube and magic in the first place.

Tally said:

Yes - it is wrong. Exposure among magicians is the worst kind of exposure. They know it's wrong and still do it. How would you feel if your material which is being sold at some price is being discussed by me and someone else? Doesn't matter if we are magicians or not. Give credit where it's due and in this case you should tell the other person to buy the material and ask them to learn it themselves. Discuss it together after that.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
remember the masked magician? Well, quite a few poeple saw him exposing tricks, but who remembers him?

I remember him, the whole show is on youtube in 5 parts.

but man the rising card method exposed in it is so horrible i nearly **** my pants.

Also the show is horribly done. It keeps saying like "there is no such thing as real magic" and "if you thought they had real magic abilities now you know the truth" etc etc.

I lol'd so bad. FOX NEVER FAILS ME.

There is nothing wrong with teaching an effect to a fellow magician if they already know the effect and method. If your showing them a better way to execute it then those are your ideas then and it's not unethical. They can choose whatever version they want to use. If they don't know the method then I use a bartering method where its shirt for shirt. If I am good friends with them and trust them, then I will trade knowledge for its me that has paid for that knowledge and its mine to trade but nothings free. And that is my choice. That's how things get done sometimes and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does it here.:)

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
If I had a friend magician in real life who didn't own the Tril. I'd teach them Subway, but it's not ok to expose on youtube, because we magicians teach magicians, the only problem with that is that not all of us have experienced and known magicians close to us, to ask to teach us, that's why the experienced magicians make DVDs, and the price is just protection from laymen getting them (and a little greed but that's ok, because they didn't have to teach it at all in the first place)

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
alright thanks everyone, just to let you know, i haven't EXPOSED any tricks on youtube, i know thats wrong haha. but i do think, reteaching stuff starting from person A to person B and to person C and so on is how things somethings get done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results