UV Nightshades // Washington Has Never Looked So Cool

I recently purchased UV Nightshades Presented/Original Creator by Paul Harris, Modified by Mark Allen.
Here is the product page.
Price= $33.90

Product Description
MJMmagic said:
Borrow a dollar and draw a tiny pair of ink sunglasses over George's eyes. Cleanly show both hands absolutely empty, then hold the bill by its extreme edge. There's a moment of silence. Suddenly the shades come to life! The drawing of the glasses visibly leap off George's eyes and up to his forehead!

The astonishing animation of the cartoon shades happens in full view, with absolutely no cover of any kind! The borrowed bill is immediately handed back for examination. The shades are indeed permanently inked onto George's furrowed brow.

* Easier, cleaner and 100% more visual than the original Improv Nightshades
* Use any borrowed bill
* No palming
* No switches
* Instant reset
* Perform surrounded
* Works with most foreign currencies that have a face
* Draw a head with shades on a piece of paper or business card and do the exact same effect.

Overall Production of DVD
This DVD is rather simple and goes straight down to business. There is about 2 performances of the effect but, they're only cut down to where the glasses jump onto his forehead and handing it out for examination. There is numerous examples of the effect though, and it looks great every time they show it. It is a clear video, and easy to see everything that's happening but, It is nowhere near an Ellusionist or Theory11 quality. It is shot mainly in a garage, which is fine since the lighting is good, and everything is clear.

What it Comes with
Everything you need to construct your gimmicks comes with your DVD inside the package. A sharpie is also packaged along the side of the DVD with it, just in case you already didn't have one. My opinion, do not mess around with the products to make your gimmicks, since they're small and easy to lose.

UV NightShades
UV NightShades is very easy to do. It is also a great effect since, the ink is printed onto the bill, and it can be examined and signed before and after. The gimmick is literally (depending on where you live due to sizes of bills) a little larger than your thumb, and is very easy to ditch. I can't go into much detail but, the gimmick is easy, will last you probably 1000 or more performances if you take care of it. The gimmick also is very quick to make. It will take you all of 5-10 minutes, and your set. You have everything you need in your kit, so don't worry about going to the store.

This effect is also angle proof, since the move you do happens so fast, and the way your hands are positioned it is invisible. I have not yet performed this in person, but I did practice in front of the mirror, and showed my dad. And he literally freaked out since, I showed him the bill beforehand. It is a great close-up effect.

Besides doing the UltraVisual Move, you can just move it with your fingers, and make it seem like your pulling them up onto his head.As seen here performed by Cyril

Overall it is a great street effect, and it will work with different currencies, so it is very universal. It is something which you can routine around, since using bills are very common in magic, and this could be your closer, let's say after Fraud.

Bonus Effect: Ultra Peeler
This is Mark Allen's handling of Paul Harris' effect Peeler from AOA. And is simply a great effect, and I will use it without a doubt.

Basically what is happening, is some selects a card, let's say the 7 of Diamonds, and is asked to memorize it. It is put back into the deck, and any other card is chosen. They look at this card, and see it is not their's. You tell them your going to use this card to reveal their previously selected. You take out a pocket knife, and peel a layer of the card off, to reveal printed inside of the card in ink is a 7 and a diamond, their selection. You then rub the peeled part and show that it has restored itself, and is then examinable

This effect does use a gimmick, and will take you about the same amount of time as UV NightShades. Except it is much, more delicate, and easier to lose. I suggest keeping it in the little case your supplied with, and keep it safe in there.

The angles on this are good, as long as they only see the back of the card, which is the side your peeling, front, behind, left side, and right side are all pretty much safe bets, only someone below you.. The only downfall, they cannot examine the peeled section, not only until after the peeled section has been restored can they touch and examine to their hearts content.

Again, the gimmick must be ditched, but it's simple with all the mis-direction. I personally love this effect, since it's something no one is expecting, and can be done with a borrowed deck (that matches your gimmick).

Bonus Effect: Ultra Spin
This is Mark Allen's perfected method for borrowing a pen, and making it move without your hands touching it.

You ask someone for a pen, and show everyone and explain it is their pen. You take the cap off show everything is examinable, put it back on and set the pen down onto the table. Using only your hands, which are 3 inches away from the pen, you can control it's movement, it moves to the left, to the right, in circles. You pick up the pen, show it to be normal uncap it, show nothings anywhere on the pen, and hand it out for them to be amazed.

Once again, this involves a gimmick. But, it already comes in your kit, so you don't actually have to make anything. The only problem is that it is small as all hell so you may lose it, and after that your basically screwed. Everything you do to set-up the gimmick, is covered, and is so natural it would be like scratching your nose.

This effect is simple, and is great for mentalists, unless you don't like carrying gimmicks around with you. Personally, I won't perform it that often but, others may enjoy it much more.

Overall
I must say this DVD gives you 3 great effects, and teaches everything you need to know. I think the price is a little high and should be less, the only reason it is priced in the $35 dollar range is the products that come with it, that's my only explanation. It is presented by Paul Harris, so you know it's good. Its simple, clean, visual and if you enjoy it you could add it to your own routines.

Hope you enjoyed,
-RA69

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
Yes, this effect is included in Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment. Better deal, perhaps?
UV Nightshades is a new version of the effect "Improv Nightshades" in Art of Astonishment. Yes this new version is more visual since there really isn't any cover but for some reason, I think the original would get just as good or better reactions. The original version is slower and you can put a lot of presentation into it. Just my opinion though.

The reason why I didn't purchase AoA is because I bought this at my local magic shop, and they didn't have AoA in stock. So, I went with the best thing I saw for the genre of magic I was going for (money).

I wish I was able to get AoA but, this also comes with everything you need, and is very simple to do. So to answer your question, I wasn't able to purchase AoA at the time.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results