3. David Blaine
4. October 10, 1913
5. David Frederick Wingfield Verner
6. ?
7. The Expert at the Card Table
8. J.B. Bobo's Great Grandfather
9. ?

Jeff

All of these are correct. Though you were not first, well done! 9 has now been answered. Only 6 to go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well done! It has been suggested that Wilbur Edgerton Sanders (W. E. Sanders) was S. W. Erdnase.

"W. E. Sanders" is actually an anagram of "S. W. Erdnase". ;)

Wow, well done for getting that one!

Huruey
hey I didnt know about the anagram thanks, as u said we are learning =D

Sep 1, 2007
UK
6) The first person.

That wasn't what I intended, but it's possible I haven't been clear enough. The confusion here may be in the second anagram. It is meant in the context of a false shuffle (i.e. one at a time).

Huruey

6) Follow this false shuffle of a 52 card deck (Brackets contain anagrams):

Begin with the (cea of passed) face down on top of the deck. (lupl fof) five cards and shuffle the rest on top. Perform an (voredahn flushef nolcrot) maintaining bottom stock. Perform a (digel) and seemingly place the bottom card on top of the pack.

Were you to now fairly deal the deck out between four people. Statistically, who is most likely to have the most aces?
(First Answered By: )

Well, this depends on if you have Jokers in the deck. With jokers it will be the second person from your left (assuming you are dealing left to right) and without jokers it will be the 4th person (again, assuming you deal left to right.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
6) Follow this false shuffle of a 52 card deck (Brackets contain anagrams):

Begin with the (cea of passed) face down on top of the deck. (lupl fof) five cards and shuffle the rest on top. Perform an (voredahn flushef nolcrot) maintaining bottom stock. Perform a (digel) and seemingly place the bottom card on top of the pack.

Were you to now fairly deal the deck out between four people. Statistically, who is most likely to have the most aces?
(First Answered By: )

Well, this depends on if you have Jokers in the deck. With jokers it will be the second person from your left (assuming you are dealing left to right) and without jokers it will be the 4th person (again, assuming you deal left to right.

Correct :D

As I specified that it was a 52 card deck, the answer I was looking for was the 4th person you deal to.

Well done everyone. :)

Huruey

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Well that sucks. :p

I actually had 4 people come to my room and I did it, and they each had 1 ace. Damn you all. :D

Anthony Bass

Hehe. :)

For anyone who wants an explanation of question 6, basically the top card, the Ace of Spades, is controlled to the bottom of the deck. Seen as there are 52 cards, the 4th person you deal to is definitely going to end up with the ace of spades (they are the last person to be dealt to, the last card to be dealt is definitely the ace of spades). Because this fourth person is guaranteed at least 1 ace, it is slightly more probable that they will have the most aces when all the cards have been dealt.

Take care,
Huruey

A little history on David Verner (aka Dai Vernon).......

Dai Vernon, born David Frederick Wingfield Verner, was one of the greatest card men who ever lived. He started magic at the age of 4, and when he moved to America he changed his name to Dai. David became Dai when a newspaper misspelled his name and Verner became Vernon when too many Americans could not get his name right so he just stuck with Vernon...At least that's the "word on the street":D. He got the nickname "The Man Who Fooled Houdini" when he completely fooled Houdini with an ACR after Houdini boasted that if he saw a routine 3 times in a row, he would be able to accurately describe the method. I do not remember the exact number, but Dai showed it to Houdini more than double that and he still did not get it. He then got the name "The Professor" after being notorious for helping anyone who asked for it who had a true interest in the art of magic at the Magic Castle in California.

That's your fact of the days kids :p!

~David Rysin

Sep 1, 2007
UK
A little history on David Verner (aka Dai Vernon).......

Dai Vernon, born David Frederick Wingfield Verner, was one of the greatest card men who ever lived. He started magic at the age of 4, and when he moved to America he changed his name to Dai. David became Dai when a newspaper misspelled his name and Verner became Vernon when too many Americans could not get his name right so he just stuck with Vernon...At least that's the "word on the street":D. He got the nickname "The Man Who Fooled Houdini" when he completely fooled Houdini with an ACR after Houdini boasted that if he saw a routine 3 times in a row, he would be able to accurately describe the method. I do not remember the exact number, but Dai showed it to Houdini more than double that and he still did not get it. He then got the name "The Professor" after being notorious for helping anyone who asked for it who had a true interest in the art of magic at the Magic Castle in California.

That's your fact of the days kids :p!

~David Rysin

Actually, the newspaper did not misspell The Professor's name, they were actually using the Welsh nickname for David.

:)

Huruey

Nov 6, 2007
David became Dai when a newspaper misspelled his name and Verner became Vernon when too many Americans could not get his name right so he just stuck with Vernon

Technically it was the New Yorkers who kept on pronouncing his last name as "Vernon".

Sorry, just wanted to contribute and feel important :) lol

Also, I believe Vernon showed Houdini the acr move 7 times if I remember correctly. 7 times! That's pretty ambitious alright.

If any of you are interested in Dai's life, you should definitely read The Magician and the Card Sharp. I had to do a school project on that. I'm really glad I did as I learned a lot about Dai Vernon, including where his name came from haha. It's also the story about his hunt to track down the mysterious "center deal" ooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results