Mentalism and Hypnosis - Where to start?

Sep 22, 2007
I started watching some Derren Brown videos on youtube and i noticed how cool hypnosis and mentalism is i have always been into it and liked it but never have i took the next step. It is still extremely hard for me to believe in hypnosis being somewhat of a skeptic. I just cant like believe it. it seems to impossible but where would be a good place to get a good start in mentalism and a little hypnosis.

Input Appreciated

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. I am open to any kinds of mentalism metal bending a good Russian roulette escapology any of those an more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 9, 2007
Australia
i know.....it is pretty cool huh.
Well i just started mentalism as well and luke jermays new book 3510 is pretty DAMN good. i LOVE it.
and Oz pearlmans into the abyss is pretty good as well. As for hypnosis i don't know anything.

See ya

Sep 2, 2007
Visalia, CA
Classics

I would recommend 13 steps to mentalism (of course) and Practical Lessons in Hypnotism (makes you look at perspective differently)

Sep 1, 2007
Luke Jermay building blocks is the book for you. Tells you what suggestions are and how suggestions work and how to make your own. Also it comes with ALOT of effects. Great book.

A lot of people will tell you to get 13 steps. I hated it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
ANY book by Ormand McGill for hypnosis. Professional Stage Hypnotism can be a place to start. You can find it most likely (like me) at your library. I haven't read 13 Steps to Mentalism so I can't say if it is good or not. But yeah that should start you off for hypnotism.

Oct 25, 2007
Hypnosis requires a lot more than magic does. Maybe 50% of people can be hypnotized and maybe 10% can be as hypnotized as you see on one of Derren's specials.

Its a difficult task, but worth the effort. You really need the right circumstances for hypnosis; willing and attentive participants are a must, as well as few distractions.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I've been doing stage hypnosis for a number of years now, and this past year I got into Derren Brown's work.

Also, I am a skeptic. And I explain that to my audience. I'll tell you what I tell them:

"It's the same thing as being at the movies. You are there in a dark theatre watching an action movie, let's say. You are in a comfortable seat, with fresh air, etc. The action movie is very exciting and very well done. You are so focused on the movie, your heart is racing, your body jumps at something unexpected and your adrenline is pumping. This all happens and you almost feel the action along with the hero dispite the guy crunching his popcorn loudly two rows down. :)

Another example would be when you have a long drive and you put on the radio. Let's say a bunch of songs you like are played right in a row. You get so into the songs, you suddenly look around and say "how'd I get here?"

Hypnosis is the same day-to-day thing. The only difference is that I, as the hypnostist, take advantage of your suggestablity during that time. My suggestions work partly because you desire it to, and mostly because you trust me."

This is absolutely true. There's nothing magic. No trance states, (even though I still use the word trance during my performance, I use it just for a lack of a better word). Just pure concentration, relaxation, desire and playing on a person's suggestablity.

And even though I tell them all this, it still works!

The suggestion to read McGill's books is a good one. He wrote "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis". Very good book for a starter performer. Also, since you are into Derren Brown, I highly recommend "Tricks of the Mind". He explains the method of what he does. (Yes, he's a skeptic too). :)

Sep 4, 2007
Hypnosis requires a lot more than magic does. Maybe 50% of people can be hypnotized and maybe 10% can be as hypnotized as you see on one of Derren's specials.

This is simply not true. Way more than half the population on the planet can be hypnotized. Just what are you basing this on?

As for what Derren is doing, more than 10% of the population can be induced under the basic suggestions Derren used. Heck, just driving from location A to location B 90% of the population hypnotizes themselves while watching the road.

Not attacking just correcting.

urban

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
This is simply not true. Way more than half the population on the planet can be hypnotized. Just what are you basing this on?

As for what Derren is doing, more than 10% of the population can be induced under the basic suggestions Derren used. Heck, just driving from location A to location B 90% of the population hypnotizes themselves while watching the road.

Not attacking just correcting.

urban

Exactly correct!

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Fact is, there are plenty of times we all drop into a "trance": driving is one of them, watching a movie or tv, solving a tough problem or even reading these forums.

Look, there's no "magic" to hypnosis. It's an explotation (for lack of a better word) of a person's ability to relax and concentrate. Throw in a dash of using suggestablity and volia! Hypnosis!

The funny thing is, even when I explain it on stage, taking away all the "magic" and "special forces", etc, it still works, and people are still amazed! :)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
The funny thing is, even when I explain it on stage, taking away all the "magic" and "special forces", etc, it still works, and people are still amazed! :)

Well, duh. Think about it.

"You are not an intelligent being endowed with free will and self-determination. You have no free will. You have no self-determination. You are a machine made out of meat. I will push your buttons and make you do things you don't want to do."

"Oh no you won't, I'm going to WHAT THE... holy crap, that was amazing!"

Humanity gets by from day to day on the fantasy that they are in control of their own destinies. Even when you show them how little they really do control, they continue to get by on the fantasy that you are somehow special and they are still in control as long as they stay away from you.

Which is why hypnosis is the perfect trick. The subject prefers to believe that there is no trick, and you really do have supernatural powers. He wants so much for this to be true, he effectively hypnotises himself into it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results