For Those in School

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Have you guys ever seen the movie....Pursuit of Happiness. Yeah those guys with big g=businesses didn't need school. That's the people who i want to be like.

yeah i can answer that. I read mental toughness books, that help a lot. And the people that i know who make 1 million a year, 4 million a year, they went to school, but they didn't even need to use their degrees for anything. They know how to talk to people and people skills, i believe is what will make me happy wealthy and successful. the people who went to school that I know, they make like 40-70 thousand a year. It's just my belief that school isn't gonna get me successful, but in some cases you need school, for me, I don't but i do know i must past high school and get a bachelor's degree. But bussiness and magic, i don't need school.

Those people were LUCKY.
People will NOT take you seriously if you don't have a degree in something!
Honestly, If you think magic is more important, STOP doing magic for a while.
School ALWAYS comes first, because to get a degree, you have to go to college, to
go to college you need good grades, and to get good grades, you NEED to put school
above everything else. Magic is awesome, and its my part-time job (not quiet old enough for a full time job yet) but school HAS to come first.

Calvin Lauber

Jan 2, 2008
Southern Texas
Education is as good as the individual wants to be. It doesn't matter if you go to princeton or harvard or the best Universty in the world. If you dont study you're just throwing away money and a hopeful future. If you don't study you don't get any smarter.

Jan 2, 2008
Southern Texas
O please...
Thats a movie.
Tally, do me a favor. Set down the cards, and go read a book, or study, or just
start LIKING school. Trust me.

Calvin Lauber

Really you might wanna burn the deck in your hands right now. If you have that attitude Tally. School isn't as bad as you think. Life is what you make it.

Dec 14, 2007
Education is not a product, it's a process. Yes, it's about learning 'stuff'. But more importantly, it's about learning how to learn. I am the magician I am today because I went through that process. I learned how to balance time to practice and perform magic with my school work. (I also majored in Music and Education in college, so I had to practice an instrument as well.)

Because of the scholarship I received, I was able to build a large library of fairly hard to find books before I graduated college. Because of school, I was able to find safe performance opportunities that allowed me to experiment with different genres and styles. And because of school, I learned how to dig deeper into the information I was seeking, to draw connections and parallels between a variety of thinkers, and used certain opportunities to learn about subjects I knew nothing about.

And magic HELPED with school. Learning how to think like a magician gives one a different perspective on the world. It teaches us to look "behind" the obvious reasons. It empowers us as performers to give better presentations. It allows us the chance to learn to think on our feet. And, when used wisely, it can help us stand out from the crowd.

School is very important. The smart magician realizes that through school he or she can improve their magic and vice versa. The industrious magician realizes that the time management skills they need to balance school, magic and friends will be useful throughout their entire life. And the far-seeing magician realizes that - to sound cliche - THEY are the magic. Anything which gives them more knowledge, more experience, or more opportunities makes them a more interesting person and thereby a more interesting magician.

Brad Henderson

Dec 2, 2007
Hey guys, sorry to say but I'm with Tally here. I'm not saying that school is completely unnessicary, you need some level of education to survive nowadays, but it's not as important as you might think it is. More people have gotten incredibly rich for thinking outside of the box than by following the life that's been planned out.

Myself, I go to school, i try (kinda), and I do alright. But 9 times out of 10 my happiness and my friends come before school. I would rather die a happy poor man than a burnt out rich one who fought his whole life to climb the corprate ladder.

So to answer the original question, magic.

More people have gotten incredibly rich for thinking outside of the box than by following the life that's been planned out.

Myself, I go to school, i try (kinda), and I do alright. But 9 times out of 10 my happiness and my friends come before school. I would rather die a happy poor man than a burnt out rich one who fought his whole life to climb the corprate ladder.

Like said above those people were lucky. Bill Gates was a genius who studied and sticked to his education. Because of it he knew how to manage his money and was able to create windows. Every person thinks they can live a life as a cahsier and barely put in the rent and still be happy. If you ask people who work hard now but failed in school they would say if they had one more chance they would stick to there studies and be someone. If you rather be a poor miserable man with no family friends no cut school do your tricks. Also not everyone who is rich has a ****y life.Its not about being a millionare it's about having a good education, a good job, and a comfortable life.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
okay thank you everyone for your participation but i do good in school, i just don't care so much about it. And i read A LOT of books. A LOT. thank you everyone, really. Let's put this aside, we all cool here?

Dec 2, 2007
Every person thinks they can live a life as a cahsier and barely put in the rent and still be happy. If you ask people who work hard now but failed in school they would say if they had one more chance they would stick to there studies and be someone. If you rather be a poor miserable man with no family friends no cut school do your tricks. Also not everyone who is rich has a ****y life.Its not about being a millionare it's about having a good education, a good job, and a comfortable life.

Sorry, when did I say anything about being a cashier or barely putting in the rent. There are plenty of things you can do that don't require a perfect classical education. Also, didn't i say i would rather be a poor happy man? That whole deal with poor miserable man has me confused, not quite sure where you got that.

Along the same thread, you're the only one who seems to be assuming all rich people have a ****ty life. I never once said happiness was inversely proportionate to wealth. You just seem to be assuming things right and left.

Also, never once did I say that everyone should drop out of school. Do what you want to do. If you want to go to school, get a job, and work yourself into a person with a desk job and an average salary, go for it! That's not for me.

Sorry, when did I say anything about being a cashier or barely putting in the rent. There are plenty of things you can do that don't require a perfect classical education. Also, didn't i say i would rather be a poor happy man? That whole deal with poor miserable man has me confused, not quite sure where you got that.

Along the same thread, you're the only one who seems to be assuming all rich people have a ****ty life. I never once said happiness was inversely proportionate to wealth. You just seem to be assuming things right and left.

Also, never once did I say that everyone should drop out of school. Do what you want to do. If you want to go to school, get a job, and work yourself into a person with a desk job and an average salary, go for it! That's not for me.

You DO realize that getting a degree and such doesnt mean you have to get a desk job, right? You get could get a degree as a marine biologist and go scuba diving and studying animals for a living, seems nice to me. Or you could get a degree in phycology, and then use that degree to be a magician. It all comes down to doing good in school. Do what you want, but if you want to play it safe, and not have to gamble for success, go to school, study, and get a degree.

Calvin Lauber

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
So basically get an education to be someone? Be someone? I lol'd.

Go get an education get a good job like a marine biologist.

If everyone did that who is operating the grocery store? Who is bringing you the mail? Who is keeping your work place clean? Who is watching your kids in kindergarten? etc etc etc.

School is important.

Now, there are going to be times where you find it boring, you find your teachers unfair/uncaring/incompetent, but at the same time, School is a place of self-discovery. It's a place where, as Mr. Henderson clearly stated, you learn how to learn. It does not necessarily have to be about WHAT you learn.

Frankly, I'm a junior in HS, and a lot of what I learn I feel is useless, pointless if you will. But, at the same time, there is also the information that does help you. How to write, how to research, how to THINK CRITICALLY, to question.

You might just find a passion in school. Just maybe. And if not, school will for sure help you investigate the passions that you find on your own. Quite honestly, if many of you did not have the amount of education you have to this point, you would not be learning or critically thinking about the magical arts.

For those of you who said that there are successful people who did not go to school, your half right. They did not get an education or degree in the typical sense. But, they are a SMALL amount of the population. Take your chances if you really want to, but taking that kind of risk to the rest of your LIFE, and especially making that decision at the ages that some of you are...not something to think lightly about.

Go to school. If you give up now, you won't know what you missed...and at some point, you will CARE about that fact.

Class is in session.

J.

So basically get an education to be someone? Be someone? I lol'd.

Go get an education get a good job like a marine biologist.

If everyone did that who is operating the grocery store? Who is bringing you the mail? Who is keeping your work place clean? Who is watching your kids in kindergarten? etc etc etc.

People who flunked school.
Do YOU want to be a bag boy your whole life?
I think not.

Calvin Lauber

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
That's the people who i want to be like.

Then do what they do.

NOT doing what they DON'T do isn't even remotely the same thing.

Fundamentally, rich people become rich by choosing to do the most productive thing. Take the choice between "school" and "no school": the correct choice is "school", because school is productive, and no school is not productive.

Now change the choice to "school" and "business". The correct choice is "business", because school does not generate business experience, which is more productive than education. This is what Bill Gates did.

Now change the choice to "school" and "card tricks". If you can mount a convincing explanation for why card tricks are more productive than school, great. Choose card tricks. But the correct choice is probably school.

In the movie to which you refer, Will Smith's character made a choice between "crappy unskilled job" and "investment banking". He made the more productive choice. What you seem to overlook is that if he had a college degree, his other choice would not have been "crappy unskilled job". It would have been something rather more productive.

Oct 20, 2007
o.k. lets put this out, school is ********. very conversely, you need an education ESPECALLY in this age if you DONT have a collage education, you're pretty ****ed. do i and almost everyone else hate school? you better believe it. you just gotta learn the rules of the game and play by them. i have a friend, he got an education and now he owns 3 houses and owns a lotus. basically he gets to choose if he wants to put ANY effort into his day and at the end of the year he gets a big fat raise. or he quits and does the same thing at a different company. so get an education so you can get paid to **** off at work whenever you want. :0 woah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
..yah...

Well, first of all everyone is not the same...i do believe school is important, but i mean its not like u cant practice your magic..I am a senior in high school and i do magic in school..lets just say its how much you practice that makes you a good magician. But school is important though...you dont want a magician going around not knowing how to spell or read right? I mean, i practice palming a COIN in my hand all day and forget its even there. It becomes second nature and you can go on with your life..plus you get good at it. But dont overdue it because you might not become a professional magician for a living. So what i am trying to say is study hard, practice when the time is right ( could be during lunch or free time) and set some goals in your life...if you dont have goals, youll never accomplish anything...

W.O.W. Like someone said earlier..."This is the America of tomorrow."

Oh and NightN, education here does suck. My mother covered material in 3rd grade that I covered in 8th (she went to school in Russia)...

For perspective reasons, I shall state that I am a Freshman in High School, have been on honor roll every term for the past 21 terms, minus 1 in which I received 1 C+ and was 1 point away from a B-. I always (or almost always) do my homework and pay attention in class.

Now to answer the question...

School is extremely important. However you need to think of it like this...High school does not teach you things, it teaches you how to think. And once you know how to think, you can then move onto college which teaches you how to LEARN. The stuff that you actually learn (facts that is) in school are not as important as the skills school itself teaches you. Without those skills you a person can only become NOTHING, a NOBODY, and do NOTHING with their lives. Sure, you might never use what you learned in history class on Friday when the teacher was giving an hour and a half long lecture on the most boring subject "ever"...however what you just learned from that class, if you DIDN'T fall asleep and pay attention, is how to properly act at your job as a banker when a customer comes in complaining to you for an hour and a half about how her boyfriend dumped her 2 weeks ago as you fill out paperwork for her.

*Note: I'm writing this on very limited sleep, and not proofreading it...please ignore any grammatical mistakes and try to read the meaning and not just the text.*

School teaches you so many things that you don't even realize while you are in the class....things that you can only realize later on in life. I feel blessed enough to realize this, and to have magic mentors that PUSH ME TO HAVE AN EDUCATION. One of my mentors would probably go so far as to strangle me if I even thought of dropping out of school or letting my grades slip.

Seriously do school...think about it this way.

You can spend 4-8 more years going to school and learning...even if you never use it and never regret going to school. Or you can drop out, either make it and never look back, or crash like a beatle into 18-wheeler and think about how dumb you were for dropping out while you live on the food that people walking by you generously give to you....

'jussayin'

Respectively,
~David Rysin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results