Must-read books?

Jan 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
What are some good card magic books to buy? Some I have in mind are:

Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue - Expert Card Technique
Roberto Giobbi - Card College
S. W. Erdnase - Expert at the Card Table

By the way, are these books too advanced for beginner/intermediate-level magicians?

Jan 4, 2008
I would offer that "Royal Road to Card Magic" is a must have. IMHO, if you had a couple of cases of Bikes, and that book, you could practice and perform for years doing nothing but card magic. :cool:

Sep 1, 2007
the books you mentioned are perfect for begginers

i would also reccomend, the paper engine by aaron fisher, smoke and mirrors and dear mr. fantasy, both by john bannon

Oct 9, 2007
RRTCM, Card College and Expert Card Technique are my three absolute favourites. Definate must-reads.

tazer: are you saying Expert at the Card Table is a perfect book for beginners?? Expert Card Technique aswell? Very very not for beginners.

the books you mentioned are perfect for begginers

i would also reccomend, the paper engine by aaron fisher, smoke and mirrors and dear mr. fantasy, both by john bannon

The Paper Engine is a fantastic book. However it is WAY too advanced for someone just starting out. Also, you can get The Expert At The Card Table as a pdf for free (don't worry it's legal) from erdnase.com. Here is the link to the pdf to save you some time:
http://www.erdnase.com/download/Erdnase Bible.pdf

Sep 1, 2007
- The paper engine by Aaron Fischer
- The art of astonishment by Paul Harris (ALL VOLUMES ARE A MUST HAVE :D)
- The encyclopedia of playing card flourishes.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I like the ones already mentioned, I have Expert Card Technique the info in it is great, but the book isn't because it's so hard to follow, if you are up to rereading like 20 times each sentence, then that's great because the sleights taught are great.

I'll also add this but with a question mark, since I'm not sure and would like to see what people think of it:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic?

Aug 31, 2007
I agree on AOA and Mark Wilson's book. They're both amazing books. MWCCM is more essential than AOA, but they're both amazing. I also recommend Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique, and Expert at the Card Table.

John

Oct 9, 2007
MWCCM is another must-read book. I can never decide what book is the best I own but RRTCM, MWCCM, Expert Card Technique and Card College have got to be my favourites.

Not mentioning AOA, By forces Unseen and Expert at the Card Table being another set of must-reads.

Scarne on Card tricks, ETMCM, Tarbell course .....

The list can go on and on.

Sep 1, 2007
Card College is a great series - it should find it's way into every card magician's library. Othere than that, I have found "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" to be a very useful book. Harry Lorayne's "Classic Collection" is a huge tome full of good quality card magic too, and well within the reach of the beginner/intermediate performer.

Sep 1, 2007
I just bought Paper Engine and ask if I could get it signed. Waiting for an answer. Still I think it' a great book and can't wait until I receive it. If I ever think back of this topic I will say what I think of the book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results