Just Starting Out and GUESS WHAT...

Nex

Jan 12, 2008
Alright everyone (guys and gurls) i just started learning all these flourishes eh...with not much knowledge other than other people doing youtube stuff and the media section here. I've yet to buy any dvds =P or watch any tutorials. BUT I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN. Didn't end up sleeping last night cause i was practicing my false sybil. This is just awesome stuff. Before i started practicing i could only do fans, springs, lepaul spread, simple cuts etc etc. . .

I love just playing with the cards with music, it's such a wonderful feeling. So much expression in such a little thing. What's ever better is that you can learn so much from just watching other people, since this isn't like a magic trick or something where what you see isn't what you get. =P So YEH MAN!!!! I'm still in awe. One day at a time. I'll catch up to all of you.

(btw i got the false sybil down realllll TIGHT)
(btw2 I've been practicing card magic for a year and this is the most fun i've had)
(btw3 I GOT DOWN UNDERPRESSURE from watching a youtube video...with a front view!!!!!! XD)

Sep 1, 2007
Surrey.U.K
Hey dude i'm happy your happy but as was already said try not to learn from youtube as you risk learning things wrong and it's, well, wrong.:)

Nex

Jan 12, 2008
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4FhspKgIEI8

this is where i learnt false sybil, can someone tell me if this is the right handling for it? "right" eh haha...

and about books, ive been studying from card college for the last few months, have royal road and expert at the card table. Before i started fiddling with cardistry i practiced a lot of false shuffled and other magic related things =s but this is more fun =D

I had an hour break between classes today so i sat in the basement of the sci library and just practiced. Then felt light headed after i got up. UBER undeground lol

I don't really want to pick up any videos until i can't find anything else to learn.

If your just beginning then definetly pick up some books or DVDs. Youtube tutorials completely can through you off. You can learn the Revolution cut wrong then never be able to do Mary Jane by The bucks. Learn the basics the right way or you will be messed up. Also check out this thread, posted by Vinnie C. the cardistry moderator which has some great advice in there. Definetly give it a look. http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1803&highlight=beginners
Hope this helped,
Michael

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Nex, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I've been mostly into magic for about 6 months now, but I learnt Kevin Ho's "Sybil 947" (thanks a bunch, Kev :D ), and I've just ordered The System, by Dan and Dave. Now, I know I'm new to flourishing, etc, but I'm gonna put so much practice into every cut. XCM is like an addiction to me :) (In a good way). Hope to hear of your progress in cardistry, Nex, and maybe a few videos soon? :p

Happy Magicking,

~The Emogician~

Hope to hear of your progress in cardistry, Nex, and maybe a few videos soon? :p

Happy Magicking,

~The Emogician~

I don't think it is such a great idea to be asking him to be posting videos when he is just beginning. He should develop his skills alot more and get some great moves down. Once he is solid on some good flourishes it would be more fair to ask him then. I am interested in seeing his progress but I don't want him posting a video and everyone making negative comments because he is still a beginner.
I hope you understand,
Michael

Sep 1, 2007
dude! to the OP - I would not recommend starting learning advanced cuts... I would learn the basics first - but uhhh... I guess whatever you have fun doing, great! lol

Hey man I was just like you when you started. I'm sure we all tried looking tricks up youtube. Eventually you'll have to buy something cause there are many things you just can't find in youtube. After a few months from when I started I started to get mad cause I couldn't learn the things I wanted, so I bought the dvd/book and since then I've been only at youtube to look at performences.

Nex

Jan 12, 2008
dude! to the OP - I would not recommend starting learning advanced cuts... I would learn the basics first - but uhhh... I guess whatever you have fun doing, great! lol

Well, can you please elaborate on what the basics is?

Nex

Jan 12, 2008
After reading all the responses from people, i've decided to buy the system, since it has the type of cuts i like. Why buy something i don't like =P SYBIL SYBIL SYBIL all i have to say. Anyways, about posting a video online...I was thinking about putting up a video of what i've been practicing and working on every week or so. Just so i can get some feedback on what i'm doing and some of you stalkers and time wasters can watch some prettttttyyyyyyyyy raw footage (CELL PHONE QUALITY!!!! don't have a cam, and don't plan on buying one. NOR do i have a video editing program...i think?) with music of course.

Give some feedback everybody!

Sep 1, 2007
Well, can you please elaborate on what the basics is?

Sure dude. What you are doing is similar to a kid watching F1 racers on TV. He sees em zooming around the course, and gets very excited! Imagine that kid was able to immediately buy a F1 race car and go try out a track! he'd either freakin crash that thing in an instant, or probably not get a good time on the course. What the kid should have done, is gone and got a Go-Kart! learn to race... then work his way up to a bigger go-kart... then a smaller race car.... etc. etc.

This is why we see little to no originality from the "theory 11-year-olds" as I call them. They get uber-excited to see a very advanced cut, and just want to buy DnD's material and go straight to learning crazy sybils! But they don't take the time to even learn the very simplest foundations, of what DnD's material is built on!

Before you learn the "jackson 5" I would recommend really training the basics, starting at Charlier cuts. yes, I know a "madonna" looks a lot more impressive than a Charlier. yes, I know you can do a Charlier cut already. But can you do them in both hands? smoothly? Then, learn the scissor cut... then the revolution cut... then a hindu cut.... I've been flourishing for almost a year and I still haven't learned how to Sybil! I'm still too n00b for that, but I am excited to one day learn it when I have reached that level. my brain fell out of my head the first time I saw "spring jam" which was basically my first exposure to sybil cuts.

EVERYONE is excited as you are when the first time they saw flourishing. it's freakin amazing looking! But it takes a lot of discipline to start with the basics rather than going straight to the "leno cut".

For example let's take "west coast chaos" or whatever off "The System" since that's what you're thinking about buying. All it is, is a freakin revolution cut in one hand, a scissor cut in the other, and then interpolate the packets! Why in the hell does this even deserve proper noun status? Does this mean that every variation needs to be named... okay if you do a Charlier instead of a Revolution, then that's a flourish i INVENTED... I call it "East Coast Chaos!" don't forget to credit me !!!! :rolleyes:

If you learned the basics, you'd be able to freestyle jam all sorts of flourishes that you'd be inventing on the spot. like an improvisational Jazz musician, there wouldn't be NAMES for all the variations you're doing, there would just be an awesome flow of creativity! but INSTEAD, we get tons of kids posting up webcam videos of their 6-packet WERM display that they have named "Epsilon Rhinocerous" or something random. or a "genesis" variation where they flip a packet one extra time, this could be named "Lord Farquad" or maybe "000.X5LZ.mmmmmsandwiches"

basically, you want to be a stone cold flourishing bad ass right? you have options:

1. start by copying DnDs stuff, in 3 years you'll be able to rock like Hestnes' video: http://media.theory11.com/991-the.system

2. start by buying the Encyclopedia of Playing Card flourishes and learn the basics: www.flourishman.com

It is WAY less glamourous, exciting, whatever to start off with such basics. But if you want to be hella awesome, learning the basics from the encyclopedia will give you a foundation to make your own flourishes, and who knows you could maybe one day make a DVD, and lots of little kids will want to copy YOU, and you can tell them "I started by learning the basics and you should too", lol :D

edit: holy crap that was way more than I thought I was going to write. sorry for elaborating too much! lolz

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results