Advice on my routine

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Advice on my routine: UPDATE!

Hey guys,

I have been stirring up a little routine lately and I would just like to tell you guys a little story first.

With my whole 6 years I have been into magic, i have never been so impressed with the magic that is comming out right now. We got control, fallen and then Daniel Madison's material and which have been great.

I am planning on purchasing Fallen and Control to add to my routine I have created and I would like to share it with you guys and maybe get some feedback.

Opener: Bound

Then go into an ACR involving another spectator
- Finish the ACR with either the Braue Pop Up move or fallen, pending on angles

Then finish them off with Stop and control, once again, stop is pending on whether it fits.

Now here is why i structured it this way.

Bound: This is an impossible effect that happens in the spectators hands, in my opinion, you can't get much stronger then a card appearing between a taped up box. This effect will warm them up and make them wanting to see more.

My ACR: A very nice and entertaining routine which is not to long and not too short. This routine is very visual and it is almost pure eye candy.

Control: Now with a closer, I really wanted to hit home, I feel control will do just that. Like Dexter said in one of the tralers, you step away from the cards and coins and get more into reality. That is just wanted, somthing to leave them speachless, I don't even really want a loud scream but more of a shocked or disbelief or even scared face.

Now the patter for this, I plan on going about that By using almost no patter with bound other then the following:

"Select a card"
"we will then lose it in the middle of the pack and also give it a quick shuffle"
"watch carefully as I place the deck in the box, also, make sure I don't do anything sneaky"

*Show all sides of the box*

"Now I would like you to open your hand and place the box between your two palms"
"Now watch this"

(Magical Gesture)

"Did you feel that?"

Spectator then opens there hands and finds that there card is "bound" to the box.

Right about here, the spectators freak because it all happened in there hand and everything was soo clean.

After that I would move to another spectator, maybe on the other side, just to work the audience a little bit. I would then go into my ACR standard patter about the card being ambitous and what not.

After My ACR was finished I will then go into control, and right about here I am guessing many of you are asking, "How the hell are you going to make this flow?". I would put away my cards and talk to them for a second, get to knwo them on more of a personal level, then explain that many people ask me if what I do is real magic or just illusion and what I like to do is a bit of both, some of what I do is real and others are just illusion. I would bring the mood into more of a serious setting to build suspense. What I am going to do is not illusion, no tricks, but more reality. Then go into control.

It is still in the brainstorming stages but I would really apppreciate to hear your guy's thoughts on it.

Talk to you all soon,

Allan Luu

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well Henry Evans on a lecture said that the opener has to be something to call their attention, maybe VISUAL or something that they dont wanna miss any second of ur performance.. I hope it made sense.. xD I think that bound isnt the appropiate opener, is perfect in the middle of the performance or at the end, but at least for me it doesnt fit as an opener..

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well Henry Evans on a lecture said that the opener has to be something to call their attention, maybe VISUAL or something that they dont wanna miss any second of ur performance.. I hope it made sense.. xD I think that bound isnt the appropiate opener, is perfect in the middle of the performance or at the end, but at least for me it doesnt fit as an opener..

I would just like to ask, why don't you think bound is visual or doesn't call attention.

If I have to say so myself, if I see my card appearing bound between electrical tape and the box, I would be pretty amazed.

But thats just my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I know that the effect is VERY STRONG, but I think like I dont know, for me its not an opener, do u have Henry Evans or Bill Malone Dvd's.. you'll know what I'm talking about =), maybe a complete color change deck would be cool.. thats what I usually do, or something where all the cards finish completely arranged, for me it works, maybe u wanna try with Bound.. I'm nobody to tell u that u cant.. thats just my opinion, u asked for it =D

peace

aris

Well for me, I always open where the spectator doesnt have to do anything. Its like giving them a test taste of whats to come, and if they dont like it, fine Ill go. I always open with an ACR because the Spectators can sit there and watch.

But with starting with an effect where you need the spectator to be involved, you have to some how get the spectator to trust you and that can be very hard if your doing it to strangers.

Panic is a good example, again, the spectators dont do anything, they just watch the deck disappear.

Once you've got their trust, then you can go into something like Bound

Just my 2 cents
Cheers, Tom

Oct 6, 2007
Although the routine sounds great to me, and it seems like you have everything under 'Control'...I do agree that you should maybe start with something more visual and where the spectator can sit and watch (i.e. Panic- which is an excellent opener).

i don'nt think bound would be all that great as a trick by itself...maybe you could oput it in your ACR, or maybe you could ask the spec. to hold the box while you make sure their card is still in the deck, but when you show them it's not, you tell them to cehck the box?

I think that would be a more appropraite way to use Bound in your routine, a card transpo would be good as an opener too.

Sep 1, 2007
david stone has the best work on openers that i have seen.

check out live at ffff.great dvd.

his advice is, to offer the spectator something like a wallet.

he walks up to somone and says"is this your wallet".at this point all attention is on u. then huge flames are produced from the wallet ,and then he goes into his routine.

my favourite opener is "four seasons" by jay sankey.You ask a spectator if they lost a button.u then proceed to change the button in your open hand 3 times,into different currentcy.Its on his restraunt and bars dvd.highly reccomend.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Thanks,

I had another thought, how about bound 1.2- Instantly bound (the one in the preview video). I think that is visual if I say so myslef, whats are your guys opinion?
why dont start with any other prop, and then start with cards? I think credit cash by joshua jay would be a great opener =) its visual and fun to do then u start the killing card routine, its just an idea =)

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys,

I would just like to thank you all for your help and I have made a few changes to my routine.

Here is a breif rundown of it:

Open with an acr- revised patter about heat.
Go into witness/ deuce bag
Then leads into indecent
tThen close off with control and if requested to repeat then go into STOP By DG.

So what do you guys think now?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results