Royal Road or Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform?

Jan 21, 2008
Im new to card magic and im wondering wether to get Royal Road to Card Magic or Oz Pearlman's Born to perform card magic. I want something that has material that can be done mostly standing up, not at a table. For the most part i would like to do magic while walking around, instead of at a table, although knowing some tricks at a table wouldnt be bad either. Any other suggestions would be great :D.

Sep 1, 2007
Im new to card magic and im wondering wether to get Royal Road to Card Magic or Oz Pearlman's Born to perform card magic. I want something that has material that can be done mostly standing up, not at a table. For the most part i would like to do magic while walking around, instead of at a table, although knowing some tricks at a table wouldnt be bad either. Any other suggestions would be great :D.

I wonder if you mean royal road the book or the dvd? In either case, royal road has been relied upon by magicians worldwide for a long time, while born to perform may be good, if you want to learn magic (good for standing, sitting, jumping or sprinting) get Royal Road. If you mean the royal road dvd I understand that it is expensive, but if I were you I would get Royal road the book and the dvd's before anything else. :D

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't own Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform, but both are amazing. I do own the Royal Road and I must recommend that as it teaches even more basic sleights that you will use for the rest of forever in your card magic. Oz's dvd I hear is the best you can get for a beginner in card magic, and he does teach you a lot of awesome stuff. I can't comment as I don't own it, but I've heard great things about it.

Most people here will probably recommend the Royal Road and I think I'll agree. This is because books are better than DVDs in magic, you will find at first you'll buy every dvd you see (luckily I was friends with some a bit mature as a magician so he stopped me from doing that ;)), but later you will begin to realize that you can buy a book for the same price or cheaper than a dvd, and get 5x more content. However, DVD's are good too, I like almost everything on T11. I own TNR, Witness, Panic, and Friday I'll be ordering Control.:cool: So choose your DVDs and book balance wisely. I hope this helped you out. Good luck on the road to magic. :) I recently started myself.

-Doug

-edit-
Almost forgot to say... so get the Royal Road to Card Magic because you will probably be doing a lot of learning from books in the future. It's best to start right when you begin your card magic.

Sep 1, 2007
I would have to say born to perform. Because when you are first starting out it helps a lot to see the trick being done to real people, you can see the slights and how they look. Not to say books are bad, they are great. But when you first start out, I would always get the dvd, it helps a lot. But they are both great, you can't go wrong.

D

Deleted member 2755

I would have to say born to perform. Because when you are first starting out it helps a lot to see the trick being done to real people, you can see the slights and how they look. Not to say books are bad, they are great. But when you first start out, I would always get the dvd, it helps a lot. But they are both great, you can't go wrong.

This is also true. So you could go either way and win, or even get both if you want. DVDs as he said are good to see and look how things feel. The Royal Road to Card Magic, however, is probably the most basic and easiest book to follow that will get you geared up and ready for future books you may get that are more advanced. The choice is yours. As the poster said above me, you can't go wrong.

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

Hehe, sorry, had to post again. :) http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=618 I watched the trailer again and now I want this. =P It pretty much looks like every Brad Christian video from Ellusionist in one. :) The fact that you will learn the palms, some flourishes, and some effects including acr.... I think I'll have to go for this now. :D

-Doug

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Born To Perform is a great DVD, Oz will teach you so much valuable information, there are a lot of things to be learned from this DVD, I would highly recommend it.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I started doing card magic about 4 month's ago, and i asked this expirienced magician what to get for beginners, and he told me to get Royal Road, and so i did and i think its a great book (i dont own the DVD's), it helped me alot. I also own Born to perform and its great, but i think Royal Road (book) is alot better cause it has so much more stuff and tricks and flourishes and everything and you can get it for like 9$. And i also recomand "Daryl encyclopedia of card sleights", it contains everything that you will ever use like a magician. I hope i was of any help. Keep practising. Cheers

Jan 22, 2008
Hey,

Oz Perlmans DVD Born To Perform Card Magic got me started in card magic. It was the only DVD I had on magic, and my only source of info. Because of this I learned everything (with the exception of palms as my hands were to small) on the DVD.

When I went to my first magic convention at the age of 11 (I think it was 11, don't quote me on it) the magicians were amazed at how advanced I was for my age.

That DVD is the reason. It has good solid routines which I still use today (16 years old).

I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I also have Royal Road, I like it but I prefer Born To Perform.

Good luck,

Steven

Jan 21, 2008
Ok i think im going to go with Born to Perform mainly because im a very visual learner, i am terrible at reading something like a trick then when i do it, it seems i do it wrong until i see someone else do it correctly and i realize what to do. Thanks for all the help so far! i might pick up Royal Road after Born to perform :D.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I just saw Dan Buck's interview. well look for yourself:

Q: What books would you recommend to someone just starting out?
A: The Expert at the Card Table and Royal Road to Card Magic.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
These are two VERY different products, and hard to compare. I have reviews for both of them on Penguin if you want to go check them out (very in depth reviews, if I do say so myself). Royal Road is a little harder to learn from, but has more material. Born to Perform has less material, is more expensive, but, on the other hand, you get four pretty awesome effects, and some very entertaining performances. It just depends on what you want.

Jan 21, 2008
I just saw Dan Buck's interview. well look for yourself:

Q: What books would you recommend to someone just starting out?
A: The Expert at the Card Table and Royal Road to Card Magic.

Yea but Born to perform isnt a book =/, so dan couldnt of said born to perform over Royal Road :p.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I just got my copy of Royal Road yesterday, and the sheer quantity of information in it is awesome. They don't mess around - they start right out with the overhand shuffle on page 3, and by page 5 they're discussing card control methods. The style is very to-the-point, without all the anecdotes and exposition you find in most magic books. Even if you think you already know the basics, RRtCM is likely to show you a few new tricks.

Bluntly put, no DVD set - even one with four or five DVDs - contains this much information. And with RRtCM going for about $12, it's more cost effective than anything else out there. Pair it with Expert Card Technique, and you may never need another book on cards. Ever.

I've had S.W. Erdnase's "Expert at the Card Table" for many years. Royal Road beggars it.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Just get both and take from each what suits you best. This way you can decide for yourself what you like. What suits you might not be the same as what suits everyone else in this thread. I am sure Oz has some valuable insights in the DVD and I have yet to hear anyone every say they didn't appreciate the material taught in RRTCM.

--Jim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results