Tally-Ho's vs Tally-Ho Vipers

Jan 28, 2008
Hey guys I was just wondering if there really is a difference between the regular tally-ho deck and the Ellusionist Tally-Ho vipers. Differences such as feel, stock, handling, etc. I was also looking at Wynns, so would you recommend Wynns or Tally-Hos.
Also I'm going to buy a bulk of decks do you recommend any other decks? (I do mostly magic and a little bit of XCM)

Enter the Viper... black, reverse-image playing cards with a buffed, metallic SILVER finish. The Viper injects elegance and forceful authority into a deck that was already spectacular.

The technologically advanced UV500 Air-Flow Finish makes handling these cards a breeze and pure joy.

We've taken an industry standard and actually improved upon the look, design and feel of Tally-Ho Deck. With the help of the USPCC ellusionist has produced one of the best looking and best feeling decks of cards available. Quality control experts at USPCC sat down and went over the production process of the Tally-Ho Viper in order to find out how to improve on the quality of the final product.

The results of that meeting produced the finest cards ever available to consumers. Thick stock resulting in a crisp clean snap to each card. Our UV500 finish with a smooth-as-silk feel, allow these cards to fan and be manipulated freely and easily. And finally a beautiful new look. A look for a new millennium. The Tally-Ho Viper is easily the best looking and feeling card to ever be produced.
The cards are much better than the regular Tally Ho's as they use UV500 Air Flow finish. The cards are also much thicker than regular Tally Ho's!

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
Regular Tallys all the way! All of E's cards start to clump after not much use. Plus for magic they don't look natural. They're very expensive and not worth the cost. They look okay, but regular Tallys are much better quality. The stock is thinner, but that's not a bad thing. I have played with both cards, and regular Tallys are a much better value.

Sep 9, 2007
The cards are much better than the regular Tally Ho's as they use UV500 Air Flow finish. The cards are also much thicker than regular Tally Ho's!

Mitchell

hhahahahahahahahhaahahahahhahahaaa...I hope you weren't joking, regular tally ho's beats Ellusionist's HO's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
hhahahahahahahahhaahahahahhahahaaa...I hope you weren't joking, regular tally ho's beats Ellusionist's HO's.

No offense, but I'm still using the Viper I bought from last year and it's still in good condition.

Although many people hate Ellusionist, but in my opinion their cards' quality are not as bad as most people say. (not everyone likes black decks, I understand)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
My Vipers went down after two days - same as a regular deck of Bicycles.

But they went down fast. So for virtually all of that two days, they felt and acted brand new. Bicycles have a nice, even crappiness that sets in gradually. The Vipers lasted two days, felt unchanged the whole time, and then just suddenly wouldn't do crap. Tigers did the same, but somewhat slower than the Vipers, so I had ample warning they were going.

I can see the Vipers going to hell over the course of just a few minutes being a huge pain in the ass if you're mid-performance. You're doing tricks, everything's fine, you pause to lead into the next trick, and suddenly your cards suck. But if you can carry a spare deck, that's not such a big deal; you could just say "these cards are a little old" and switch to the new deck. If you open a new deck every performance (not a bad idea if you're a professional), also no problem.

Really depends on your situation. I haven't tried the non-Viper type, and I don't know if I will... my Guardians are on their fourth day and going strong, and I have a deck of Wynns on the way. If the Guardians can last the rest of the day, the net cost of using Guardians instead of regular Bicycles is 25 cents a deck, while the cost of using Vipers is $6 a deck. The cost of using regular Tally-Hos, for me, is roughly 65 cents a deck.

And if my Guardians last through tomorrow, they actually become cheaper than Bicycles.

I love my Guardians. Black Vipers come in second for feel and longevity, with Ellusionist's Black Tigers coming in third, followed by Bicycles in fourth... but honestly, those three are sitting neck-and-neck-and-neck at the same place, and Guardians are sitting way out in front. All things considered, I'd buy the Ellusionist decks for performance use (including carrying about on the street), but not for practice.

Jan 27, 2008
Well, usually, I throw a way a deck of a cards when the corners are really, really nicked up. Otherwise, I keep the deck...

OR, I'll peel off the face of the nicked card, peel another face off of another card, rubber-cement them together and *BAM* homemade double-facer.

On the topic...

Most decks can last a long time if you allow it to. I have used a regular Bicycle deck that lasted me 4 months and I have used a Ghost Deck that lasted me one month (it gets warped so fregin' bad, if you put your finger on it and press down on it, you'll hear an earthquake-like snap).

I try to break-in, no, MEGA break-in my decks as best as I can. I do AT LEAST 7 perfect (yes, I can do that) faro shuffles on ALL sides of the deck and some perfect side shuffles too. I give my deck the nasties-ass ruffles, I literally bend the deck like 165 degrees. Lot's of springs on ALL sides of the deck. Repeat everything 2 or 3 times with the deck face up and down on intervals.

I got one of those limited edition black TH9's and I must say, I love it. I also have a few Vipers but they've got nothing on my TH9's.

I'd choose decks like the TH9, Aviators, SteamBoats, Bicycles, and similar ANYDAY over Ellusionist custom decks because those cards are extremely think and are NOT easily malable.

If I wanted to right now, I could bend the top-edge of one (out of 52) of my Bicycle cards all the way to the bottom edge almost folding it completely in half. I bend it back a little bit the other way and then I place it in my deck. You couldn't even tell that card was bent. But, if I would've done that with an Elluionist deck (well, one card from those decks), there would've been a noticeable crease and a crimp that can be seen a mile away.

One thing that I have always gotten though was the "twisted" deck, if you know what I mean. However, that has never, ever, interfered with my flourishing and legerdemain.

What will absolutely KILL your deck is moisture from your palms (this is not a problem for flourishers seeing how the packets are always switching around :)) and nicks at the corners making side shuffles, thumb counts (however, you could use a nicked card as a marker or a kind of corner-shorted card), and a variety other sleights harder to execute.

I believe the best way to make your deck last is to MEGA break-it-in and to avoid moisture and nicks (- just don't drop your cards).

My deck of choice is the Bicycle Rider Backed deck. It's extremely cheap for such a high-quality deck ($13 for a brick at Costo or Sam's), very mallable, is familiar to the onlookers, and looks great.

IF I was wealthier, I would buy bricks of TH9's* (especially the black ones!!!).

Just my thoughts. A lot of it my have typos and may not be all that relevant but still...

..:Z:..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results