Where did you learn this stuff?

This is a question that is asked many times by people who I perform for.

I would like to point out something here if I could. This is just my opinion but I hope some of you can see my point in it.

When this question is asked. Be careful with your response. What I don't do is actually tell people about the Community that I am a part of as a Magician. This to me is far too valuable for me to just mention. I also NEVER give out the name of the trick.

So don't say. "I learned many of my tricks from Theory11.com. They are a community of professional magicians and they provide training"

They will visit the site and start to think that your Magic is nothing more than the latest trick available for a price. They would not understand all the books you read, DVD's you purchased, hours you practice and dedication that it takes to do it correctly.

I think this will cheapen what they saw you do.

What do you say?

"I learn my material from professional magicians that published books and trainig DVD's on Magic. This is not the type of material you find at the book store. What you find at the book store are self working tricks or mathematical tricks that are for novice individuals. The type of stuff you see kids doing on YouTube."

"The material that I purchase is professional and can only be purchased from professional resources. They cost allot of money and take allot of time and dedication to master. This level of training will sometimes take months just to learn one move or technique. It takes allot of dedication"

Do I actually say all that? Yes.

The reason I do this is to prevent these individuals from knowing where my material comes from and what the trick is called. Once they know what it's called, they will search youtube for it. It also puts a seed in them that YouTube is filled with a bunch of novice performers and not the type of Magic I perform.

I come across as very open about it and at the same time they tend to respect the dedication I put into my Art. This alone will prevent searches on the internet. This is not true for everyone, but I try to paint a picture of the dedication we have and what goes into our trade.

Keep it special and more people will respect your skills.

Aug 31, 2007
For me I don't have a lot of people ask me that question, but if it was to happen I would say "It's magic" or "It's a secret" something like that. However in my case my spectator's are more enjoying the trick than worrying about where I learnt it from.

Hayden.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I stick with simpler answers.
Books, dvd's, websites.
However, I NEVER name any of them, I simply say that that is where I learn them from and then move on to the next trick.

Sep 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've had this conversation quite a few times over the years; most recently with BJ Bueno.

I used to tell them books, etc. But, my thinking has changed on the issue. I think the less you tell them, the better. The less they're able to attribute what you do to a specific learning source the better. Right now my answer is just a silent shrug of the shoulders.

Spec: Where did you learn that?

Magi: Learn What?

Spec: That thing you just did!

Magi: Oh that! I have no idea how it's done; it just happens.

Move onto next effect or next group of people.

You want to keep your responses as simple as possible, but also a little mysterious. I do not like saying that I bought an effect or that I read/watched it in a book/DVD. If you say that it just gives the impression that anyone can do it if they look hard enough.

In my opinion, the vaguer and simple the response, the better. And always remember KISS (Keep it Simple stupid).

Good luck,
~Magically Dave

Sep 3, 2007
I thought Magic, is magic, or have I been missing the point of magic?

Magic, means impossible, then they say:

What you should say

Me: Learn what?

Spec: Magic.

Me: Oh that! I summoned spirits from the bridge of Ka,za Dum. Like the Balroc.

What you shouldn't say

Me: From there and here,

Kind of destroys the whole aspect of magic.

What you should never say

I did this, see, it was two cards and.........

Destroys the effect

It is Magic!

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
Spec: Where can I learn to do that?
Me: It's more of a curse really....Ever since I lost my soul to the Devil, I could do weird things.......
Spec: (Slowly walks back and turns away)
hahaha..........I only do that sometimes though.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
"How did you do that?" - Obviously quite well!

"Where did you learn this?" - Somewhere around... there *point to side of head*

Those are my standard reply's, to anyone I don't know or are fairly unfamiliar with. Most of my friends and family know I'm into magic, so that last question doesn't come up much from them.

Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
where did you learn this or that or what ever they say- i made it up or i was born with it

how did you do that- with a deck of cards or i dont no

Sep 1, 2007
"Where did you learn that? How did you do that?!"

Look around suspiciously. Then ask...

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Yes!"

Look around again, then grin.

"So can I."

They laugh every time.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
That's very funny SilkenRazors, I think I'll use that sometime.

I generally just smile, that just baffles the audience. Sometimes I say I got the magician's hand. But not really, I think a smile says it all.

Sep 2, 2007
London
wow, i could not agree more. Even though at the moment i am only just begiing to learn the "real magic" as i call it and not the noob kiddie stuff you spoke of. I only now seek confidense and tools.

Sep 1, 2007
England
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Not only that but to be you sound downright pretentious saying 'professional resources only available to professionals' etc. etc.

Say you learned it from books. At the end of the day people know it's all just a trick even if it seems impossible to them. No point in saying 'I learnt it from a 150 year old Tibetan monk when visiting his mountain retreat in the upper himalayas'.

Unless you did of course :D

Tom

"Where did you learn that? How did you do that?!"

Look around suspiciously. Then ask...

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Yes!"

Look around again, then grin.

"So can I."

They laugh every time.

i love that one .. i really havent used it yet though....

-to date the one i use the most is:

Q: how did you do that?

A: I thought i did that pretty well, wouldnt you agree?

-another one i like but havent used yet is:

Q: How did you do that?

A: do what?

(let the spectator explain what you just did)

A: No way! I did that? ( with the sound of shock/surprise in your voice)

-another idea....

Q: Where did you learn how to do that?

A: Well I learned through years of study and no social life (say it with a smile)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results