The Royal Road to Card Magic (Revised)

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
"the royal road to card magic"(essay)

Hi just to tell you this essay is no about the book ,this is revised version of the other essay to card magic " well like must people who read my essays know I don't like introductions so lest begin this essay.

"THE psychology BEHIND CARD MAGIC"

OK lest talk about the phycology behind card magic, most of the time your going to find your self in a situation were your telling one card is another card so my greatest tip is believe that the card you are holding is the card you actually saying name the card as much as you can without being exaggerated .In card magic lying is a skill and you have to learn to master it.Do unexpected things spectators love when they cant tell what is going to hit them they love the unexpected so give them that gift and they probably are going to give you the gift of applause.I cant tell you how important is the presentation in card magic,we all know that in all kinds of magic presentation is important but in card magic really relies on the presentation,a trick without a good presentation is going to become a OK reaction.

"Sleight of hand
"

Sleight of hand is often used in close up magic performed with the audience close to the magician, usually within three or four meters, possibly in physical contact. It often makes use of everyday items as props, such as cards and coins The guiding principle of sleight-of-hand, articulated by legendary close-up magician Dai Vernon, is "be natural." A well-performed sleight looks like an ordinary, natural and completely innocent gesture, change in hand position or body posture.but this is usually not the case. In addition to manual dexterity, sleight of hand depends on the use of psychology, misdirection, and natural choreography in accomplishing a magical effect.misdirection is perhaps the most important component of the art of sleight of hand. The magician combine his actions so that even the critical and observant spectators are likely to look where the magician wants them to.

The Seven Principles of Sleight of Hand

1.palm-To hold an object in an apparently empty hand.

2.Ditch - To secretly dispose of an unneeded object.

3.Steal - To secretly obtain a needed object.

4.Load - To secretly move a needed object to where it is needed.

5.simulation-To give the impression that something that hasn't happened, has

6.misdirection-To lead attention away from a secret move

7.Switch - To secretly exchange one object for another.

Misdirection

The mind can concentrate on only one thing at a time. The magician uses this, and the "victim's" idea of how the world is supposed to be, against him. Some of the results are startling. A coin seemingly dissolves in the air, and yet it was never there. The face of a card that was not seen is seen. Things can be torn that are not torn.

An example of misdirection in magic might be as simple as a magician rolling up his sleeves and saying "nothing up my sleeve" and then "magically" producing an object that in no conceivable way could have been "up his sleeve". The audience for instinct scrutinizes the magician's arms but ignores the location where the object-to-be-magically-produced is hidden.

Attention can be controlled in various ways as well. For example, a magician will first grab attention with a coin, or other small, shiny object-shine makes the affect more stunning, as a shiny object captures more attention and seems more unlikely to disappear or be manipulated- and then briefly, often imperceptibly, direct attention away from the object (hence, "misdirection") through a combination often including comedy, sleight of hand, or an unimportant object of focus to provide just enough time for the magician to do whatever he wishes with the original object, whether it vanishes, transforms, or teleports.

"BOOKS"

IF you are beginner you must be asking your self what are some good books,in my opinion the best books that you can buy are "Paul Harris art of astonishment Vol 1,2,3" man i cant tell you how good this books really is it just the best books you can find Quick note this book is for intermediate and advance magicians only i don't recommend getting this book if you are a beginner a good book to get if you are a beginner is "the royal road to card magic by jean Hugard and Frederick Braue "this book takes you step by step into card magic this book also teaches you 5 different routines plus ten platform tricks great book.

Quick note Im only recommending books that I really own so you can believe me those books are really great.another thing I only mention a few books but remember quality wins over quantity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2007
New York City
"dvd"
The best dvd that I can recommend you is "oz pearl man born to perform card magic" man this must be the best dvd out there this dvd in this dvd you will lean a killer ambitious card routine plus, a new way of performing two card monte,the best biddle trick presentation that you ever see and ultimate transpot gamblers edition plus about 6 or more flourishes man if you are a beginner you have you have to get this dvd and if you are a advance you must get this dvd as soon as possible i just want to prove my point this is a must get dvd another must get dvd is David Stone real secrets of magic do this dvd is no only in card magic in his dvd your going to find the most amazing card tricks plus your going to learn more about presentation again i want to repeat this again all the dvds and books that im recommending i have buy them my self.

DVD VS BOOKS"

I just want to point out that both dvds and books are great source of learning magic do i suggests that if you don't know to much English go for a dvd,dvds are more easy to understand for the factor you can see how they move are done but books are highly detailed plus books are pretty cheap and teach more tricks and sleighs compare to a dvds.

Practice Faithfully

To continue our comparison of Magic as a Profession with Chemistry: In learning
the Profession of Chemistry you must use the knowledge you get from the text-book.
For this purpose you go into the laboratory and test the theories. In learning
Magic, your mirror is your laboratory. In it see the results you accomplish. You
see your wrong moves -- you see your right moves. So with every minute of practice
you get nearer and nearer the right method of doing the different moves upon which
the Art is based.
Take palming a coin for example. Palming is one of the fundamentals of Magic.
Every time you practice it, you do it more like the man in the Profession does it.
When you see the progress you make in each day's practice, you will be filled with
enthusiasm -- not only because you will be able to do the trick, but because you
will know palming which is used in hundred of tricks. You will find real
Professional satisfaction and joy in practicing.

Simplicity of Tricks
I want this fact to sink in: SOME OF THE GREATEST TRICKS AND ILLUSIONS ON THE
STAGE ARE UNBELIEVABLY SIMPLE.
Don't forget that you were once one of the spectators and believed these tricks to
be almost superhuman feats. Now, when you learn how very simple they are, remember
that to those who are not "in the know," they are still deep mysteries.
Do you know that some of the greatest tricks used on the stage today are centuries
old? My Linking Ring Trick, for instance, was invented by a Chinaman in 1735,
almost 200 years ago. And now in 1926, I use this simple trick. In 200 years no
spectator has discovered the secret of it. Yet it is based on the simplest move
imaginable.

There are tricks which are so old that their history cannot be definitely traced.
Some were supposedly originated by the court jesters of France way back in the
Middle Ages. Others are said to have been performed before the notorious Henry
VIII., who reigned in England in the first half of the Sixteenth Century, more
than 300 years ago. Still others are believed to have come down from antiquity.
These very tricks are some of the simplest in the whole art. They have survived
the ages and their secrets are still undiscovered. These same tricks are used
today to mystify and entertain people. What further proof do you need that the
simplest tricks are often the most mystifying and never lose their charm.The amateur most often has the idea that a trick must be very elaborate. He thinks
that the method of doing it must be very difficult and that there must be great
deal of complicated equipment to do it with. I want you to get that idea out of
your head and remember that in the simplicity of your tricks lies their great
power to mystify the other fellow.
Now we come to one of the most important elements in Magic.

Naturalness in Performing

If I can put across to you right now the idea of naturalness in performing tricks,
I feel that I will have accomplished a wonderful thing. If you attempt to put any
bit of Magic over with stiff hands, for instance in palming a coin, it would take
but a minute for your audience to expose your secret. Your audience will know

at once that you have something concealed in your hand if it is held in an
unnatural position. Their attention will be drawn to the hand because of its
awkward pose;
whereas, if you hold it naturally, they will not even look at the hand.
You cannot hope to mystify your audience if you don't remember this:
Your Hands Must Be Held in a Natural Position
The amateur who tries to do tricks without scientific instruction always holds his
hands very stiff and finds that his secret is discovered before he is half through
with the trick.
You must study your hands before your mirror. Watch the natural poses of them in
different positions. Practice with NATURALNESS always in mind.
Most of your ability to mystify depends on Naturalness in the poses of your hands.
Hundreds of tricks depend on Naturalness for their effect. So master it at the
very beginning.

PRACTICE EVERY DAY --

I have told you that most of the tricks are very simple. So they are. Some you can
start using after perhaps only 15 minutes of practice.
But there are other tricks which you must study and practice for a few days before
using them. It is only the amateur who will perform a trick before he is sure of
it and can perform it in a finished manner. You must not allow yourself to perform
like an amateur.
You know that "practice makes perfect" in everything. Practice your fundamental
moves and practice your tricks until you are confident that you can put them
across in professional style. Then perform your trick and you will have your
audience talking about your remarkable ability.
Designate a certain period of time each day for your practice and stick to it as
closely as if you were really attending a class at that time. Go off by yourself
and concentrate on the lesson.
Always practice before a mirror. Practicing without a mirror is about as effective
as practicing blindfolded. It will do you no good. You must see yourself as your
audience sees you.
Your mirror will show you whether you are doing a move incorrectly and in a way
that will give the trick away. You can see your errors immediately and can

correct them immediately before you form a habit of doing the move wrong.
Do not look at your hands. Always watch your hands in the mirror. Never look at
them directly. If you watch your hands when performing, your audience will watch
them and you will not get your effect. If you look at your hands while practicing,
you will form the habit of looking at them — a habit which you cannot have if you
are to be a real Magician. So train yourself right from the beginning not to watch
your hands.
Each day when you practice, pretend you are before your audience. This will make
you do your moves in the best possible manner.

ok especial thanks for wikipedia and to the people that let me use the info on the "tarbell course of magic".thanks your great

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I think you mean psychology.

Phycology is a botanical term for the study of eukaryotic and prokaryotic lifeforms, including cyanobacteria. It's a companion discipline to mycology, the study of fungi.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Greg,

While I can see you put a great deal of effort into this essay it covers entirely too much and goes in too many directions to really have a decent discussion on any one thing you brought up.

You could have written a very well thought out essay entirely on misdirection or sleight of hand or the psychology of magic. This way we could have had a very detailed and thorough discussion to talk about our own opinions and perceptions.

I wanted to reply to this but it would take me most of the night to put together something on this post. I appreciate your points I just think it could have been a more concise essay dealing with a single subject to get more out of it for everyone.

--Jim

ok dude thast no cool you just confuse me for life:confused::confused:

eukaryotic: Simply, life forms with cells that have nucleus ( spelling? ). Like humans.
( Eu: means real. Karyo: nuclues )

prokaryotic: Life forms without nucli ( plural of nuclieus), like Fungi and bacteria.
( pro: means before. Karyo: nucli )

In any case, Greg, GREAT THREAD. I really appreciate you writing this, I'll be linking many people to this thread. :)

Thanks

Jan 7, 2008
Royal Road to Card Magic is excellent. There are also 2 dvd series that cover the techniques. I would also recommend Expert Card Technique by Hugard & Braue, Card College, and Syd Segal of Gaft Card Magic referred me to Jerry Mentzer's "Counts, Cuts, Moves, and Subtlety".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results