What got you into Magic?

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yo, what got you into magic and what was your first trick?

For me; this magician did triumph for me and I was blown away (Triumph is a great trick for laymen; use it). That got me hooked and I looked up for tricks on the 'net and found out about Penguin Magic and Ellusionist and I went to a magic shop near my place and bought Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman and went off from there... My first trick was the Biddle Trick and it sure was a hit...

By the way, this was only a few months ago (March 2007)...

What about you guys?

Well I've only been doing magic for oh about 3 months now, so I know a lot but not nearly as much as some of you out there. But I had picked up a few tricks on youtube and everything and one of my friends from school said he know a trick. So, I said show me I thought it was pretty good then I showed him mine and he was amazed so we kept on learning tricks trying to impress eachother and then would teach eachother....and that was like the second last week of school for me so I've been basically doing magic over the summer but I've learned so much...I can't believe how inviting forums are and the people are so fun and laid back and don't laugh at me if I make rookie mistakes =p

-RA69

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
ha.. a friend of mine does magic in school, and he's quite good(or at least by my definition). anyway after seeing him perform stuff i decided to learn some too, but switched to flourishing. i will still learn magic, but only basic, no setup/gimmick stuff to make my XCM look cooler.

oh yeah, and first trick was biddle trick, with holding a break and pretending to estimate. :D

Aug 31, 2007
England
David Blaine got me into it...and now I don't particularly like him but oh well, I thank him for introducing it to me :)

The first trick I learnt was Biddle

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Boredom and that damned fisher price magic kit when I was six.

Magic was different for a lot of us in my generation. (As it was different for the previous and before that) There was no internet. No young magicians clubs. Only brick and morter shops owned by grumpy old men who didn't want to re-stock much. (Mind you a lot of the magic was gaudy painted or a BILLION years old).

I just kinda fell into it. Never saw anyone who made me want to do it. Just thought it was cool and kept up with it... and now.. here I ..am..

dammit.

what got me into magic

hi guys and gals,
when i was about 5 i got a magic kit off my grandma, then i used it but i was rubbish lol, so i did not do it until i turned 13 years old i saw a magic market stall in london covent garden, he showed me the svengali deck and i was speech less. i bort the deck off him aswell as a brainwave deck, then wen i went to scool they still thort i was crap, so i bort the bitten 10pence coin trick and they were amazed, until someone raided my pockets and found the gimmick, then i bort oz pearlman born to perform then i got in the beginning they were coins by jay noblenzada and now im about to get the trilogy i love magic. my first magic trick with a big croud was 5-card biddle and they were amazed. i think dan and dave buck are AWESOME!!

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
Lance Burton and David Copperfield's TV Special. I really got into magic as a tyke, but didn't start studying it seriously until a few years ago, so if I wanted to I could tell everyone I've been into magic since I was 9, but I don't cause I don't count the time gaps.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
A beginners set of magic for kids.
Then The Masked Magician just made me want to be one more than anything else.
Then when David Blaine came out, I knew what I was going to be doing for a living.
And then online places have only further increased my desire to be a magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
Well as a kid i learned the basic "Is this your card trick?". After that I learned the 3 rows of seven cards trick. But the first trick I learned that was really hard hitting and non-basic was the trick David Blaine did where the ashes appeared inside the spec's closed fist.

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i always liked challenging stuff you can do with your hands, i used to do some basic juggling and playing yoyo and diabolo, then i started penspinning, and while surfing the web for some penspinning footage i discovered the superhandz site, i watched their xcm stuff and got hooked. i tried to do some xcm moves, but didn't have any succewss, until i bought extreme beginnerz and learned about decks and some basic moves. so i started flourishing, and only a little while later i started magic, so basically flourishing got me into magic, and after seeing dan and dave i was totally into it.

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
My father started me into magic, he taught me everything he knew.

He passed-down his love for magic, and his love for sharing magic - my father is my mentor.

To this day, he still teaches me lots of things I don't know including non-magic related ideas.

One day, I hope to pass down the art of magic/life to my child (if he/she shows interest).

Thanks for making me think of my dad.

Asher

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
wow, i have to follow up lee asher. lol, well me and my friend were watching a david blaine special and my friend was saying that he actually thought david blaine was like a prophet or a reincarnation of jesus or something. lol, and i was like, dude all he is doing is tricks, its obviously not real. so i went home and looked up some of david blaines tricks so i could show my friend and i pretty much got hooked from there. lol

Sin

Sep 2, 2007
My brother has been a professional magician for about 15 years now. I used to go to his shows and he'd show me some stuff now and then. Eventually, for I think my ninth birthday , he taught me a few moves and bought me one of those beginner magic sets that you see in all the stores. From there, I just stuck with it.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Like Lee, my father got me into magic. But it was a bit different. My father wasn't -- by any means -- a magician, but around the age of six him and I were shopping in a grocery store. He stopped, pulled a dime from his pocket, and flicked it into the air. I watched the coin fall back into his hand and he closed it immediately. When he opened it, the coin was gone. I grabbed his other hand and opened it... but there was no coin.

It still has an effect on me to this day, and I still have absolutely no idea how he did it. It's amazing how one simple piece of magic can give you lifelong astonishment.

Keep sharing your stories guys!

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
and I have to follow up Jon Raiker.... oh the pressure.

I started magic when I was junior in high school, because one of my friends was a very annoying magician who would do same tricks over and over again. So I bought a deck of cards and did exactly what he did, except different presentations. Then I stopped, because I didn't feel the need to continue with magic, I thought it would be one time thing.

Now I'm a Junior in college, I started because I let someone borrow my guitar and had nothing else to do, so I looked around Internet and for some reason ran across Ellusionist and looked throught their cards and was just awed and ordered couple right that moment. Then I couldn't let the money I used to buy new cards go to waste so I'm stuck with magic, at least for next couple years...

i think it started when i was 5 and i saw david blaine's street magic special. i thought he was the devil. :p but i still had an addiction to it, especially with those "world's best magicians" specials each year (especially rocky raccoon). but because of my short attention span, it was an on/off relationship. only a year ago i found ellusionist, among other places, and started learning what i know now.

Sep 6, 2007
Well I saw Bill Bixby do a card spring on his old T.V. show called the Magician.
I basiclly taught my self the move. Then came the one handed cut and shuffle.
Then I found Expert at the Card table and the rest is history. Thats random.

What got me into magic?

What got me into magic?

My interest was sparked as a child after finding an old magic book in my local library. It was a Professor Hoffman tome, but I can't recall the title. I borrowed it for a week and my imagination was fired. I forget how many times I renewed it, but it set me off on a life of magical discovery.

The other turning point was learning the card trick commonly known as "Out of this World" (famously the trick that fooled Winston Churchill). I bamboozled my friends with it then, and I still fool my friends today. It's the one trick that has been with my my whole life.

Sanders The Great

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results