Blaine Postpones Stunt Until Late Summer

Nov 8, 2007
http://www.pr-inside.com/blaine-postpones-his-most-demanding-stunt-r424758.htm

Illusionist David Blaine has postponed his bid to stay awake for 13 days, because it's his most physically demanding stunt yet.

The 34-year-old is training and dieting obsessively to prepare his body for the world record attempt, which he has already confessed he fears will leave him brain damaged.

The feat was planned for New York City in May, but will now take place in July or August.

Blaine tells the New York Post, "This one demands a lot out of me.

"I run 13 miles a week around Central Park's reservoir. I'm down from 230 to 195 pounds in seven weeks. And of course I'm dieting. My raw diet has brown rice, no red meat or animal products besides fish.

"Nothing fits anymore. My wardrobe's a disaster. I'm using belts. I need to drop another eight pounds and then stay this way. It's not healthy to go up and down."

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Awesome. At least he's smart enough to delay it and really get ready, instead of going into it not ready and injuring himself.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
can you describe the stunt? if u know which one is =P

He'll attempt to break the record stay awake for 13 straight days. (The longest recorded period for which a person has voluntarily gone without sleep is 449 hr (14 days 13 hours) by Mrs. Maureen Weston of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in a rocking chair marathon on 14 Apr.-2 May 1977. Though she tended to hallucinate toward the end of this surely ill-advised test, she surprisingly suffered no lasting ill effects.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
He'll attempt to break the record stay awake for 13 straight days. (The longest recorded period for which a person has voluntarily gone without sleep is 449 hr (14 days 13 hours) by Mrs. Maureen Weston of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in a rocking chair marathon on 14 Apr.-2 May 1977. Though she tended to hallucinate toward the end of this surely ill-advised test, she surprisingly suffered no lasting ill effects.)

then how is he breaking the record?

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Why would anyone want to stay for 13 days? That just seems idiotic to me.

Why would anyone want to freeze themselves in a block of ice, stand on a poll for 35 hours, hold their breath for 8 minutes, or bury themselves alive?

Its a stunt, entertainment. And testing your human boundaries. Thats why I like David Blaine. He tests himself to do what people would think isn't possible.

Nov 19, 2007
MD
Why would anyone want to freeze themselves in a block of ice, stand on a poll for 35 hours, hold their breath for 8 minutes, or bury themselves alive?

Its a stunt, entertainment. And testing your human boundaries. Thats why I like David Blaine. He tests himself to do what people would think isn't possible.

If it was entertaining I'd agree with you, but staying awake for 13 days is just unhealthy.

Oct 25, 2007
We can assume, indeed, that Mr. Blaine will endure bodily harm. The body needs REM sleep (rapid eye movement). We go through two to three full cycles, each lasting roughly three hours each night when we're "catching some z's."

Pavlov is known for his research on stimulus conditioning. Many are unaware that he became the father of the modern brainwash technique. He caused patients to experience mental breakdowns when he deprived them of REM sleep. How much this deprivation will affect Blaine, who knows?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results