A challenge!

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Hey guy one week ago I was thinking how much my performance effected the trick itself. And I remember thinking Houdini said it's not the trick it's the performer. So I put this to the test. I went to the dollar store and bought a magic kit some of it contents. A coin vanishing pedestal, ball and vase, a playing card with a pip removed, and a coin paddle. I decided to take a couple of days and master a routine interlace the tricks and basically make a show. When i performed these tricks I put in every joke/performance subtlety's that I knew. And was shocked that I was getting good reactions and I did this for 20 people over the coarse of 2 days. So I challenge you all to follow in my footsteps and post a story of how it went. I really want to put the trick/performer theory to the test. So go spend your dollar wisely and perform at your best lets hear those story see you all later.

Oct 6, 2007
GREAT to hear that a magic kit led to those wonderful reactions. Better effects however, could lead to even biggger reactions with that kind of presentation.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
GREAT to hear that a magic kit led to those wonderful reactions. Better effects however, could lead to even biggger reactions with that kind of presentation.

well i know if i pull out panic i would get a bigger reaction also been doing magic for 10 years so i have routines down pact the point of this thread is to prove houdini right and see if you guys would get the same reactions

Feb 10, 2008
The Performer VS. Props argument has been going on for years...
Really, after hearing so many different arguments, I'm tending to the side of the performer rather than the props. I had a friend once who knew how to do a trick. Yeah, he knew how to do it, but performance-wise, I was appalled at his presentation. His lack of respect to the audience led to the trick ending in a complete failure before it had even started. That's what you get when you think magic is solely for attracting 'relationships' and 'physical contact'.
The performance, the build-up, the patter, body language... All encompassed together is what makes a trick MAGICAL. Sure, having a bit of flash paper and a puff of smoke there can ADD to the effect... But really, one could do just as well with communication! (Note: It don't have to be about the talking... In a noisy club, body language gives away so much more!)

---
JK

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results