Black Split Spades Review

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, here is my review for the Black Split Spades Deck from David Blaine.

Finish
The finish is basic Tally Ho Linoid Finish. Pick up a deck of Tallys and it feels the same.

Handling
Magic
They feel great for magic. It's a little hard to review these for fear of just writing a review of regular Tallys, but I have to say these are some of the nicest cards I use.

Flourishing
Nice. The cards are a bit thicker than average Bikes, and they stay together quite nicely. The fans are a little clumpy at first, but mine evened out after a few minutes of flourishing. The edges on mine took a while to smooth out, but that's the only flaw I've found other than temporary clumps.

Backs
I really like the back on these. They are very intricate and flowing, but seem much more modern than Bikes. David Blaine's signature logo is on the cards, and it looks really good. I've read somewhere that these are one-way, but the difference is as hard to spot as the difference in a deck of Tally Circle Backs. I still haven't found it.

Faces
All of the faces are the same as regular Tally Ho faces, including the Ace of Spades. The only differences are the Queens of Spades and Hearts and the King of Spades.
The Queen of Spades has a changed face. I think it's supposed to look like David's wife. Also, she's holding the 4 of Spades in each hand. The Queen of Hearts is supposed to look like David's mom, I think. The King has David's face.

Price
Meh. Nine bucks for a deck of Tallys seems like a bit much. I think these could be a bit cheaper. Or my retailer could get a bit cheaper. Either way works for me.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a reply or send me a PM.

David

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
I always want to try a deck of Split Spades; but seeing that it's kind of pricey :p

Nice. The cards are a bit thicker than average Bikes, and they stay together quite nicely.

By the way, I'm not talking about this particular post but it's weird to see that this expression (i.e. stay together)is getting more and more used in reviews of decks.

Before, it was "fan like butter" ~

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I always want to try a deck of Split Spades; but seeing that it's kind of pricey :p

By the way, I'm not talking about this particular post but it's weird to see that this expression (i.e. stay together)is getting more and more used in reviews of decks.

Before, it was "fan like butter" ~

Well, unlike saying they fan like butter, saying they stay together nicely is the truth. They do stay together nicely when flourished with.

David

Feb 2, 2008
My best deck so far - compared to regular Tally-Hos, Bicycles, Bees and E custom decks. The deck just doesn't bend like Bicycles for example. Of course it shouldn't be priced more than $1.00 above regular Tally-Ho price.

The one way backs on these are the most subtle I have seen so far and very hard to find.

Also, take a look a close look at the King of Spades, it is David Blaine himself. The Queen of hearts is his mother and the Queen of Spades is his girlfriend.

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for the review! I think im gonna pick up some Split Spades just to try them out :)

... oh yeah, one question:
Could anyone tell me what a "one-way back" is? :)

Thanks,
Marb

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
... oh yeah, one question:
Could anyone tell me what a "one-way back" is? :)

Thanks,
Marb

A "one-way back" is a design and or pattern on the back of a playing card that when reversed in the deck you can find it by identifying the pattern as the odd one out. Kind of confusing when I put it like that. Erm let me see.

Imaginary Deck 1-way pattern

[^] <--- This is a normal card

When you have the deck arranged it would look like this

[^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

If you were to have a card selected, reverse the pack, put the card back you would identify it through this

[^][^][^][^][^][v][^][^][^][^][^][^]

Because the pattern is one-way and not symmetrical by reversing it in the pack it stands out from the others. You can even have the deck shuffled as long as you make sure they don't start reversing things :p

Hope that helps you :)

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
the black / white ones do not have very good finish... NOT as good as stock tally hoes

if you can get the red ones, they are better (as good as usual tally hoes)

the BEST ones are the blue split spades, although they are kind of rare and going for between $10-$15 on ebay, you can get them for $10 from fantasma magic. only 2000 decks were made :eek:

the blue ones fan like I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results