Torn and Restored Cards

Do you like "torn and Restored Card" Effects?

• Yes

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • In between

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I dunno!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 14, 2007
What do you all think of TORN AND RESTORED CARDS???

First of all let me clarify of what a torn and restored card is . . .
There are many routines of the famous "Torn and Restored Card", but the main effect that is portrayed is being able to show a card and rip of a piece/pieces of a card and restore the card back together. There are many versions of this:

Signed Card
Visual
Mismatched

Torn and Restored cards can be considered fusing to things back together or goin back in time, most people believe that it is fusing to things back together, however using the phrase: "Going Back in Time" really gets peoples attention and they will really think that you went back in time. Its like recording yourself ripping up a card and rewinding the video :p

I personally think that torn and restored cards because being able to break something and put it back together is an awesome thought.

I am writing this because I really enjoy watching performances of torn and restored cards and also learning them, however some of them are either:

*Too hard
*Uses a lot of cover
*can't be signed
etc . . . .

The best Torn and Restored card would probably be one where both sides of the card can be signed and it is visual, I have come up with a method myself to accomplish that but I will not go further in, since it will need a lot of work.

So . . . . Don you like "torn and Restored Card" effects?

Nickmagic

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
TNR!!! If you perform the whole routine, you can used a signed card.
TNR by Mathieu Bich that is, ITS FANTASTIC!!!!! Criss is a great teacher!@!@!@!

Haha, ya Kenner is awesome. Not sure if he'd be happy about you spelling his name the same way "Criss Angel" spells his name, though.

-Cyrus

Feb 11, 2008
A few months ago in either Genii or Magic Magazine, there was a review of a torn and restored card effect. It might have been about TORN. Anyways, in the introduction to the review the reviewer made a point that has always stuck in the back of my head when it comes to torn and restored cards. He said that the problem with torn and restored anything (card, newspaper, etc.)i s that it's hard for anyone to really care. So what if you tear up a newspaper? it's just paper. Same goes with cards... it's just a meaningless object. Now money is different, it's not hard for people to invest in the presentation of ripping up a dollar bill. Basically what he was saying is that he didn't care for torn and restored cards for this reason.

Now I don't agree with this entirely but I thought it was good point and something to think about. It did make me think about these effects. I know for a fact torn and restored cards can play well with audiences but I try to focus on a reason for tearing up a card. What's the motivation? Why should the audience care? How relevant is this card to the people? There are lot of possiblities for presentation with torn and resored effects. The obvious is life and death, despair and renewal. Me personally I just rip the thing up because i predicted incorrectly.

I'm posting this so that those of you that do like these effect may think about the reason for doing in the first place. If you have TNR, then you like me, do it because, it's pretty damn fun and magical looking. But you may think about how you want to convey it to your audience. Make them care about the restoration.

Sep 1, 2007
I love Torn and Restored card effects, I dont have a specific reason, I just do.
The keys to a good TnR effect are in my opinion:
- Any card can be selected
- Selection can be signed
- During the ripping proces some pieces are shown (with signature).

And not needed, but a extra bonus is nice aswell, just something that does not make it like all the other torn and restored card plots.
My favorite TnR now days is making the ends meet (3 quarter restauration)

~altrnt

I love Torn and Restored card effects, I dont have a specific reason, I just do.
The keys to a good TnR effect are in my opinion:
- Any card can be selected
- Selection can be signed
- During the ripping proces some pieces are shown (with signature).

And not needed, but a extra bonus is nice aswell, just something that does not make it like all the other torn and restored card plots.
My favorite TnR now days is making the ends meet (3 quarter restauration)

~altrnt

Is making ends meet by huron low?

Aug 31, 2007
Yes, Making Ends Meet is by Huron Low, in his DVD 'Four', which is a subset of his 2 DVD set, "The T&R Project".

I like Torn and Restored effects, just that I don't perform them.

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results