My girlfriend HATES card tricks...

Just wondering if anybody else shares my problem. My grilfriend, who I love to death btw, cringes when I approach her with a deck of cards! and it's not like I do it every day (although I can't go an hour with out fondling a deck), but she just hates it. Am I alone, or does anyone else share my fustration?

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Mine doesn't hate (fortunately), but she gets frustrated somehow when she couldn't get what's happening. Now I don't show tricks to her often.

She even starts to verify whether all the pips are there or not, when I do false count :rolleyes:

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i have a bit different problem, my gf loves my magic, but she is one of the worst spectators ever, always overanalyzing and trying to trip me up whenever i show her a new trick, yeah its great practice to get better but not always fun to deal with lol. but she is always asking to see an illusion or for me to show her friends or family one and i feel like a performing monkey for her to show off. lol but i know what you mean, its hard for someone outside the art to appreciate all the aspects that go into it

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
well my ex didnt have a problem. actually she LOVED when i did flourishes haha
i still show her some even though shes not my gf but hey as alex rossi (i think) says... "GET OVER IT" haha

Yes, I had this problem so badly! I was practicing my my mom's birthday show, and i was like hey babe, can I show you something I need to practice for a spectator. she said ok. I did an ACR and she loved it so much! at the time i didn't take it seriously and she started getting onto me about its always the say trick with you! blah blah blah, she didn't understand magic so were not together anymore. but who has girlfriend that hates when you talk to them about David Blaine or Criss angel, but you always sit through there latest shoe shopping adventures?! jesus, i don't know why I put up with that one.

Jan 27, 2008
Man I'm with ya, me and my girl have been together for almost 2 years and i just started really getting into magic about 4 months ago and now whenever i pull out a deck of cards, she starts to cringe. She finds its inappropriate to have cards out at a restaurant while we are waiting for our food.(which i fond to be the perfect time, especially to mess with the waiter/waitress a bit!) It annoys the crap out of me and whenever i show her a new trick, and watch her sit there in disbelief it only makes me laugh, because she gets annoyed when she doesn't get it (she's one of those people you wouldn't normally perform magic for because she can usually figure it out because they're smart, she is pre-med and i find better trick are the ones that fool her).

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This isn't somthing you should be forcing on somone, if she knows your a magician and you are her boyfriend, so I bet she does know, let her ask you, don't ask her.

The last thing you wnat is her breaking up with you because she is fed up with you asking or showing her tricks all the time

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Well, it's something you'll just have to deal with. If she hates card tricks, well at least she doesn't hate magic all together. Show her things like Factory Sealed. I personally think the best magic is with tricks that don't involve cards. Although 95% of the stuff I do is with cards, I absolutely love effects like Factory Sealed, Sinful, Stigmata, and more.

Even if she did hate magic, just don't show her stuff. I'm sure it'll annoy you as you will always want to show her magic, but well... get over it! ;) I'm sure she won't mind a trick her or there though. Just every so often just say "Wanna see something cool?" I'm sure she'll say yes. If you do it every day.... eh..... Hope that helps.

Oh, coins are always good too! ;) I'm not a coin guy, but people love money! :D

-Doug

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
I don't think most of you understand the position he's in.
Well that's just my opinion.
Let's make an unbiased approach.

By the way it sounds, you are a card addict, but you don't wanna make your girl hate you. Am I wrong? I can relate. You can't spend an hour without fiddling around with your cards so...
Spend time with your cards when she's gone, and lower your hype and anxiousness. Approach the situation as if this is a drug addiction. If your girl hates to see you with cards, then it's simple.
Do NOT take those damn cards out when she's around. YES, she may come around when you seriously wanna flourish, but you have to learn to control your timing. You CAN NOT fix her timing towards yours. Do not blame her.

Practice putting the deck down, staring at it, and telling yourself "I will not touch this deck." Repeat this process.

If that has no affect on you, then think of this.

Do you want to live your life thinking,
-I'm the guy who put his cards over my girl...
-I lost my girlfriend over a deck of cards.

.. Hm?

Take this into consideration.

mm~

personally, being a girl, i have no idea why she doesn't like magic. If a guy i knew did magic, that would be so cool, but unfortunatly, none do(at least none that i know of, lol). It's a wonderfull art. But, I guess just don't show her tricks, it's her loss.

~The Magician Cool

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Do money tricks and give her the money at the end :D

What do you think she is, a hooker?

mm~ said:
Practice putting the deck down, staring at it, and telling yourself "I will not touch this deck." Repeat this process.

If that has no affect on you, then think of this.

Do you want to live your life thinking,
-I'm the guy who put his cards over my girl...
-I lost my girlfriend over a deck of cards.

.. Hm?

Take this into consideration.

mm~

Haha, that made me laugh, BTW I'd usually be sarcastic and say "Oh definitely the cards," but on a serious definitely the girl. And you guys don't mislead (although that's what we do) the poor guy, with your snarky comments ("yeah snarky is a word, google that sh*t")

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
alright..

I'm giving in..

Here is a good idea if you guys have been dating for nearly a year..

Do greed, But instead of a coin for the finisher, change the 20 into a ring.

That should make her appreciate Magic =P

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results