What comes after high school?

Oct 11, 2007
I was wondering in class today, what do I do after I graduate from high school. Because I KNOW that I want to be an illusionist, but what do I need to do after high school to achieve that goal? Should I go to college, or just start my career?

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Well..
You should go through college.
Because if you go straight into your career there is a chance it could not work out.. And then what would you do?
Where would you work?
That college degree would always be good to have..

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 24, 2007
Go to COLLEGE. Really, go to college.

Jordan Garret is 100% correct. It's always good to have that college degree, because then you'll have something to fall back on. I know college doesn't seem needed, but it is. Let's say your career as an illusionist fails (not saying it will), you'll be stuck without a good paying job. So, COLLEGE IS A NECESSITY. I can't stress it enough.

Anyway, I hope you take Jordan and I's advice. Peace!

Tyler

Jan 3, 2008
I, myself, am also a High-Schooler who has been researching this. If you want to become a professional illusionist or magician, you need some sort of performing degree in college. Because magic is not only just knowing secrets, but also about the PERFORMANCE combined.

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Go straight to college, its always good to have a backup plan. Plus college is a more gritty place to perform, the atmosphere is very different, there are more places to perform and there are parties to perform at. All in all, its good to have a back up plan and you'll be able to practice while you are there. Who said you couldn't have any magic fun while you were there. :D

-Cyrus

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Go to COLLEGE. Really, go to college.

Jordan Garret is 100% correct. It's always good to have that college degree, because then you'll have something to fall back on. I know college doesn't seem needed, but it is. Let's say your career as an illusionist fails (not saying it will), you'll be stuck without a good paying job. So, COLLEGE IS A NECESSITY. I can't stress it enough.

Anyway, I hope you take Jordan and I's advice. Peace!

Tyler

Thanks for backing me up!

Theres a fellow that Works with my grandma, He is a surgeon.
Has been for many many many years..
His second job? He performs at partys and the magic castle.

This is what he told me..

"Not everyone can be a Copperfield, Or a blaine, or a Penn & Teller. Those fellows were blessed with magic, They have been doing this for several years. And i am sure that at one point after college they were working a real job.

So i kinda thought about that.

Keep up the magic, But education comes first.

And after college. Get a job, Perhaps perform there a little bit. So people know what you can do.
Eventually your magic will take off.

And I'm not just saying this to Emagician, But annybody else reading.

~Jordan

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Go to college.
Not JUST because of a degree, but once you are in college, you will get to meet A LOT more people, and more associations you make, later when you do become Illusionist, more gig opportunities.
Definately go to college.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Go to college!!! You will learn life experience in college that will prepare you for the real word. You can work on routines by performing on campus or around the city you chose to be in. You will learn people skills which are essential for performace (esp street magic). Psych classes and philosophy classes are great for understanding your audience and learning how to manipulate them. I majored in theatre and am currently acting for a living (no i'm not waiting tables at all.) I'm an artistic associate at a theatre and magic fits right in in so many ways!
Also college is a lot different than high school in that you have to manage your own time. There will be more down time than you think during which you can perform and get a start to a career.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
well, a lot of people really disagree with me saying this but, I don't think college is SOOOO important, only thing i think is important is learning about business and learning about magic in the case of a magician. And college only teaches you about...25% of about those stuff as in business courses and mabye phychology. I mean I will still do to college just because I have to but I know LOTS of people who don't even have a college degree that makes more than those who have masters degree. So PM me if you have anything else you want to ask me about my opinion.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
just a simple fact did you know that people with college dregree win much more money than the people that only went until high school

(I'm in 9 grade)

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but you're 13. I don't think you've even started high school yet. And honestly, most magicians go through at least a short phase where they truthfully think they will have a career in magic when they grow up. Most lose the "passion" they had for the art and realize that although they love magic, it's really difficult to make a living of off it.

Aug 31, 2007
DOOD just sskip clovage@

Just kidding, in all seriousness, I am in middle school, and I do not have any experience, but the obvious choice is college, who in their right mind would want to skip an education, at the age of thirteen.

Feb 13, 2008
How far are you in high school? While it is very true that college is not for everyone and is a personal decision, I would highly suggest taking that path (I'm currently a sophomore at PSU). If you really are sold on dedicating your life to magic once you graduate from high school I would recommend earning a degree that can land you a definite job if your magic career goes sour.

However, to answer your question pertaining what major(s) would be good to accompany a magician there are really a lot of answers. Majors in the business world such as marketing, management, etc. would serve you very well. Also, majors in communications and public speaking would be beneficial. Thirdly, majors in theater and the performance arts would be very helpful. Heck, I could go on with different majors that would suit a magician in different aspects.

The point really is that there isn't a specific degree that is essential to future performers. If you choose to continue your education at college, do yourself a favor and get a degree that will work and provide fall back if things do not work. If you still want to become a professional magician, pretty much any degree will help you out, also you could then pick up a minor in communication, business, performing arts, psychology, etc. if you desire.

My path is not to become a professional magician, but I have a similar fall back plan. I am on track to receive my degree in Secondary Education (a degree that can land me a job), and then may attend law school post-graduation. If I bomb my Barr tests, or if law school just doesn't work out, I have a workable degree to fall back on.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
guys, it boils down to this

college will give you a future
magic will give you a possible future

one of THE hardest ways to make a living is being a magician.
GRANTED, some have a very good living, but its luck.
go to college, you have a future with college

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
For every magician that is making a living (meaning that is the sole thing they do to earn money and are living on their own) off of performing there are probably hundreds that are unemployed. College is fun as hell anyway!
Cheers!

well, a lot of people really disagree with me saying this but, I don't think college is SOOOO important, only thing i think is important is learning about business and learning about magic in the case of a magician. And college only teaches you about...25% of about those stuff as in business courses and mabye phychology. I mean I will still do to college just because I have to but I know LOTS of people who don't even have a college degree that makes more than those who have masters degree. So PM me if you have anything else you want to ask me about my opinion.

Tally, You definitely need to go to college. If nothing else, Go for spelling and grammar classes.:)

If you have a chance, GO TO COLLEGE!! I know it doesn't seem like it now. But the time you spend in college will shape who you are for the rest of your lives.
Don't end up like those people who regret not going. (And there are a lot of them). Its only a few years. When you are younger, a few years seems like a lot I know. But its really over before you know it.

If magic is in your future, So be it. But if it isn't, You will be glad you went. (Trust me, You will be glad either way).

Tim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results