The DEVILS Touch

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
As with control, ill try and break this down as much as I can

]The Effect
Taken directly from his website

Daniel Madison said:
THE DEVILS TOUCH VERSION 1

The performer introduces a pad of paper and a pen; he takes a good long look into his spectators’ eyes and begins to write

The performer tears off the paper and folds it before placing it somewhere in view

The performer then asks the spectator to name anything*

The spectators word* is written down on the pad for clarification, i.e. correct spelling and proof of the word

The spectator then opens the paper - written on at the beginning and kept in full view the entire time - to reveal a 100% correct prediction

THE DEVILS TOUCH VERSION 2

The performer introduces a pad of paper and a pen and places an envelope in view

The performer asks the spectator to name anything*

The spectators word* is written down on the pad for clarification, i.e. correct spelling and proof of the word

The envelope is then opened and the spectator reads the letter inside…

It is, as it states, exactly like it says. There is no embellishing, there are no extra parts not written, it is 100% what is said.

The reactions
The reactions you get from this, if you put the time into learning it, will be phenomenal. This is the closest thing you can come to actually having psychic powers. Don't begin with this, because anything following will not compare.

The Method
Daniel states that this is a method restored. People had questions about this, so I'll answer it. It's a method that has been floating around for apparently over one hundred years, and no one who has played with it knows who first came up with the idea. Daniel states it is restored because it is his take on it, and not his invention.

The method, as he says, is skill based. This will NOT be able to be learned in single session. You will not be able to read the PDF, and go perform right away. This will take practice. And for those of you who do go and buy it, please do the same. Do it until you can fool yourself in a mirror, or on video. Daniel states this is number two of three secrets he holds dear to himself. The first being unknown and released soon for a limited time, and the third being the method to change.

The Teaching
The teaching is great. All the angles are covered, and his pictures are step by step in teaching the method. When it's over you'll have a solid understanding of the method.

My Performance
In about a month or so when I feel competent with it, I'll edit this to have my performance.

The Recap
This is an amazing effect. It has so much potential, and you are able to do so much more with it than the two scenarios presented. If you are a fan of mentalism, this is a killer idea. Highly recommended.

If anyone has questions about the effect itself, I'll do my best to answer.

-ThrallMind

Nov 1, 2007
After the magician writes down his prediction and sets it aside, does he ever touch it again? Or is it unbothered except for the spectator to open?

Also, would you say it's more sleight-of-hand based, or psychology based?

Last edited by a moderator:
After the magician writes down his prediction and sets it aside, does he ever touch it again? Or is it unbothered except for the spectator to open?

Also, would you say it's more sleight-of-hand based, or psychology based?

It is 100% skill-based. No psychological like forces or any of that mumbo-jumbo involved.

The magician hands the prediction to the spectator. He touches it for a maximum of 5 seconds though, I would say.

It takes a bit of getting use to but, is not that hard at all. I would say your presentation is key for this. Doing the effect itself is just incredible but, with the right patter it can increase the reactions ten fold.

-RA69

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
the props for the effect...do u have to go buy it in a store or online?? or do u make it??? just a curious question before i click buy now thnx

There aren't really any props, per se. You should have everything you need for it already. As DM said, it's more skill than anything. It will take a bit of time to get it down, but the results will be amazing.

-ThrallMind

Nov 1, 2007
Has anyone tried the gimmick? I don't see why you wouldn't - it takes up the exact same amount of space that the regular method does, and would probably be easier to use.

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I just wanted to add my thoughts. I'm kind of impressed, but i did smack my forehead in the midst of this. I think Oz Pearlman has a strong routine utilizing a similiar concept on his into the abyss dvd.
I know that sounds total newbie to recommend OZ, but that DVD rocks the house.

This is a very interesting idea and i'm going to put into practice.

Richard Osterlind has a nice idea in his "into the fold" routine found on one of his ebooks and dvds.

Overall, i give it a 6/10. It's not going to make you look like an immediate mind reading champ, but it does have some potential.

Buy with caution. =)

Sep 3, 2007
How detectable is the skill involved?

ie. If someone says "OH MY GOD DO IT AGAIN!!!" can it be repeated or is that a bad idea?

I realise that this isn't necessarily the sort of effect that would lead to a do it again response, but hypothetically, if I wanted to repeat this and someone who had seen me do it before was watching is it possible?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
It's kind of redundant now, being as it's taken down from his site so you can't purchase it anywhere. :( He might put it back up again soon maybe though, who knows.

I'll answer your question anyway...

I know you understand this but I just want to reiterate :) This isn't the kind of trick you should (I hate that word) do all the time if people ask you to do it. It's not something you should (Again with the word) just do and play it off as nothing. Ideally you'd do this maybe once for one group of people, in a few months maybe. It's a lot I know but the effect is so powerful you don't want to play it down by repeating it over and over again, y'know?

That's not really answering the question though. So here we go.

The skill is pretty much undetectable (it's almost angle proof but audience management people ;)) But the small setup required isn't really going to be easy to do if you wanted to do it immediately after one performance. If you did it again for someone who had seen it before (I wouldn't recommend doing this by the way) then as long as the technique/skill you use is up to scratch then hypothetically they wouldn't be able to see through it.

Hope that helped

- Sean

Sep 3, 2007
It's kind of redundant now, being as it's taken down from his site so you can't purchase it anywhere. :( He might put it back up again soon maybe though, who knows.

I'll answer your question anyway...

I know you understand this but I just want to reiterate :) This isn't the kind of trick you should (I hate that word) do all the time if people ask you to do it. It's not something you should (Again with the word) just do and play it off as nothing. Ideally you'd do this maybe once for one group of people, in a few months maybe. It's a lot I know but the effect is so powerful you don't want to play it down by repeating it over and over again, y'know?

That's not really answering the question though. So here we go.

The skill is pretty much undetectable (it's almost angle proof but audience management people ;)) But the small setup required isn't really going to be easy to do if you wanted to do it immediately after one performance. If you did it again for someone who had seen it before (I wouldn't recommend doing this by the way) then as long as the technique/skill you use is up to scratch then hypothetically they wouldn't be able to see through it.

Hope that helped

- Sean

Ok thanks heaps for the detailed answer. Anyone know why it was taken down? :(

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results