Ei8ht T2wo by Daniel Madison Review

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, just bought this last night, so I thought I'd write a review. I was orginally planning on buying the Devils Touch, but I noticed the skill level was 7 out of 10. Being an experienced D-mad customer, I definently vetoed this. For his TWO lecture notes, he puts the effects at a skill level of 7 out of 10. For anybody who owns his two notes, I'd think you'd agree that that is a crazy rating, some stuff in that pdf takes years to master. Long story short, I was scared of buying the Devils Touch, due to the difficulty, so I went with Eighty two.

What they say-

Quote:
01: A deck of cards is introduced, shuffled and shown to the spectators as a mixed up deck of cards

02: The deck is spread face up on the surface and the performer quickly scans through the cards from one end to the other before closing the deck

03: After a few moments in thought, the performer explains his ability to simulate a photographic memory and begins to offer a demonstration

04: The deck is randomly cut into two piles and a spectator is invited to freely choose whichever pile they want

05: The performer writes down a 2-digit-number as a prediction at the top of his pad of paper for all to see

06: The spectator then selects a card from their chosen pile; this card is seen by all and written on the pad of paper and left aside (face down)

07: The performer states how many cards he thinks are held by the spectator and writes this number down…

08: The cards are counted and the performers guess is correct

09: The performer then writes down how many of each coloured card he thinks are held by the spectator and writes down the numbers

10: The cards are separated by colour and counted, the performers guess is once again correct

11: The performer then predicts how many cards from each suit is held by the spectator, he is correct again

12: The performer then, one-by-one correctly names every card held by the spectator other than one card which is named last… The spectators selected card.

13: All the numbers written on the pad are then added together by the spectator; the final number matches the two-digit prediction written down at the beginning of the demonstration

TITLE: EI8HT2WO by Daniel Madison

TYPE: PDF E-Book Instant Download (A4 Printer Friendly)

DELIVERY: Electronic/Instant E-mail (worldwide)

DIFFICULTY: 4/10

PRICE: £8 (approx $16)

What I say- This is a pretty decent effect. There isn't much to say about it really. As expected, a 4 out of 10 skill rating is madness, due to having to memorize a good deal of information, I'd give it a 7. This effect isn't impromptu,lt and requires a set-up, which will take about 2 minutes, if your fast, which can't be done in front of the spectators. I was a bit dissapointed in the fact that you have to remember A LOT. If you think the invisible deck is hard to remember, stay away from this. Other than the memory side of the effect, it's basically a self-working trick. One thing that really bugs me is the when you'll perform this, you'll always be thinking on what to remember, so you won't be able to focus on the showmanship of the effect, which is 90% of your performance.

Pros
-Hits hard
-Requires no technical skill.

Cons
-As said before, way to much to remember

I know this is a short review, but as said before, there isn't much to be said. I'll be nice, and give this effect a 5 out of 10.

http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/82.htm

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I hate to sound rude, but some of you need to gain a better knowledge of card magic before you get all gung ho about buying all the latest releases. It should be painfully obvious what this effect is using (BCS anyone?).

I do not mean any discredit to Daniel Madison because this is an extremely workable effect.
I'm a bit curious to why it wasn't included in his cheaters handbook because it would fit nicely there.

Creeper- I only say this out of experience but if you actually PRACTICE the effect and take the time to learn it inside and out then you will be able to FOCUS on the presentation and the skills needed will become second nature. Good magic does take time! I do not think you give Daniel Madison any justice by reading through his manuscript once or twice on the day it's released and pronounce "to much work...."

I know it's very attention satisfying to be the first person to write a review, but seriously, try practicing it before writing about it. Give it the time it deserves.

Cheers friend
Matt

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I hate to sound rude, but some of you need to gain a better knowledge of card magic before you get all gung ho about buying all the latest releases. It should be painfully obvious what this effect is using (BCS anyone?).

I do not mean any discredit to Daniel Madison because this is an extremely workable effect.
I'm a bit curious to why it wasn't included in his cheaters handbook because it would fit nicely there.

Creeper- I only say this out of experience but if you actually PRACTICE the effect and take the time to learn it inside and out then you will be able to FOCUS on the presentation and the skills needed will become second nature. Good magic does take time! I do not think you give Daniel Madison any justice by reading through his manuscript once or twice on the day it's released and pronounce "to much work...."

I know it's very attention satisfying to be the first person to write a review, but seriously, try practicing it before writing about it. Give it the time it deserves.

Cheers friend
Matt

Agreed. Its a nice review but I didn't get anything out of it. I would say perform it a few times so you can understand it more and THEN write a review. Half of your review was quoting what he already had on his website...

-Cyrus

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
This effect isnt for everybody, I understand that. But it is a great effect. The thing is it must be presented properly, it isnt magic. ITs memorization, and a bit of mentalism/coincidence. The effect was very easy to understand, I read it, played with it for 10 minutes, the tried it on family and got a great response. A lot of DM's stuff is like that, simpler method then you thought, but dont knock it till you try it.

Sep 1, 2007
If you think the invisible deck is hard to remember, stay away from this.[/url]

I don't normally comment on the magic forums. But your comment on the invisible deck really urged me to say something. WHAT. TEH. FUGG.

There is absolutely nothing hard to do about the invisible deck.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
hey I have it too, I like it.. Remember its a MEMORIZATION trick I prefer to memorize the things that DM says on 82 than memorizing a whole deck dont u agree?

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Now that I've read through Madison's "TWO" lecture notes, I have to actually disagree with what you said about its difficulty. Maybe its just me, but I don't find most of the stuff all that difficult. Yes some of it does take practice and skill, but hardly YEARS to get good at.

Just thought I would state this...

-Cyrus

Sep 1, 2007
Jeez lots of hating, anyways, guess your right, I had some bad first impressions. I'll keep working on it.

Oh, one more thing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a magician screw up on the invisible deck.

I didn't really mean years, but you have to admit, there are some things in those notes that are pretty difficult.

Sep 2, 2007
wow. i give 82 a great review. if you think memorizing it is bad, then stay away from material by tamariz. :p

i plan on memorizing a deck order. prolly mnemonica. just because there is powerful stuff you can do.

it is supposed to be a demonstration of memorization. ergo i imagined there would be some memorization, but not nearly the same as doing the demonstration "naturally".

Hopefully everyone here performs their magic judiciously, so a reset for this isnt necessary. plus i couldnt imagine doing this table hopping.

the only thing im wondering is trying to add toothpicks into the effect. maybe drop them on the ground.

Oct 18, 2007

A similar sounding effect to this actually was included in the handbook, it was named "Half Memory". =]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results