Don't Push It!

Oct 6, 2007
"Q. What advice would you give to those that are just starting in magic?
A. Aside from practicing the techniques and performances until they become instinctive- command respect from your audiences. Don’t jump and perform every time they ask; performance is an art. I think it was PT Barnum that said that “the first rule of show business is to always leave them wanting more.” An age old principle that is still universally applicable.

You will earn more of a reputation by doing a great effect once, and letting other people buzz about it than you could if you did the same thing 10 times for everyone. Don’t bend to the pressure. Wait for the right opportunity and make your performances a rare treat that they always remember and look forward to again and again. "

WOW! I never realised the truth of this until today. I have been currently eager to perform after I decided that it was time that I became known in my year as the cool magician.

I was in Chem class, and my friend wanted me to show him tricks. I always found it harder to perform when it was in a confined space, or sitting at a table. Also, with the pressure of the teacher, it made it that much harder. ANyway, the teacher wasn't too much of a hassle. THe main part is that I tried to show him TOO many tricks. I must've show him abut 5 effects, 2/3 of which actually succeded.

My point is that you shouldn't force magic on someone, or perform TOO much at one time. LEAVE them asking you and begging for me. The thrill of the great reaction wasa so damn good, and I just kept looking for more. But that was the mistake, I didn't stop and ending up screwing up some effects which had HUGE potential.

He still asks to see more, but some of the magic-esqe mystery when I perform is gone. Its all good tho.:D

I couldn't agree with you more. I work as a security guard at a residential complex. A couple of years ago, I had a big fan base. They were mostly teenagers who lived in or around the area. When I look back now, I wish I had performed less. Many times I gave into pressure, and performed whenit was not practical. I showed to many tricks, that I would always run out. I was so desperate to learn more tricks that I would find any old dumb thing and perform it. Or I would show a really goog trick poorly. I did it maonly because of things I read on some magic forums. There were magicians insisting that a real magician does not need gimmicks, and that he should always be ready to perform at a moments notice. While I believe there is some truth to that, I took it as an obligation to perform wherever and whenever I was asked to perform. I became obsessed with avoiding any kind of gimmick or set-up just to prove to myself how good I was. I'm glad grew out of that. I caution the more experienced magicians out there to be more careful about what you say on these forums. The beginner magicians look up to you and you sholdn't say anything that might discourage them. And remember that some things are a matter of personal preference and should not be imposed on others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results