Email I got from Justin Miller...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
I have a favor to ask all of you.
It was recently brought to my attention that a certain Canadian magic shop site has done something very harmful and hurtful to me and the closeupartist image.
Here is what I found...
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=1&hl=en&rls=GFRD,GFRD:2007-34,GFRD:en&sa=N
And this..
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=1&hl=en&rls=GFRD,GFRD:2007-34,GFRD:en&sa=N Ten lines down middle one.
This is uncalled for and totally unpro.
I am not going to stand for this anymore. Morgan Bondett has gone to far now...
Lets get this to stop...
Below is the e-mail I sent to the owner...

My name is Justin Miller.
But you already know that now don't you?
I see you have a very offensive picture of me up on your web-site. Please take it down and show some respect to my faith..if not me.
I am a Christian and I have a VERY strong faith in Christ. What you have done is not only unprofessional but down right rude and disgusting.
I see you do not have a phone number on your site..mmm well if you care to be a man and talk to me you would do well to give me your number.
If not I can find you no problem.
Also, you do realize that what you are doing called defamation of character right and if you do not take it down within 48 hours I will take legal action against you.
And that might not mean anything to you, I understand, but this will, I will post this e--mail with your address to EVERY SINGLE MAGIC FORUM IN THE WORLD and I will make sure the community of hard working magicians buy their materials elsewhere.
Do you honestly think that I do not have fans and friends in Canada?
48 hours and an apology or I will take action.
Justin N. Miller

Nov 22, 2007
Justin miller wants to blackmail and stuff because somebody made some small image? This is the internet. People discriminate against others all the time. It's nothing to cry about.

Is it that hard to ignore an image?

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I won't be buying from that shop - it's a bit harsh on Justin. But maybe an overreaction? I dunno. It's hard to look at this fairly when we've only seen Justin Miller's side of it, to be honest.

Sep 5, 2007
Cyprus
if you click to his name on the site, it says:

Justin Miller
We disagree with people that use religion to sell DVD's. Last year Justin decided to anounce that he was leaving Magic for Religion and you better hurry and buy his last DVD. - he never did leave magic and continued to put out DVD's. We believe using religion as a ruse to sell DVD's is unethical. We disagree with this practice, and once the DVD's are gone in this catagory, we will no longer be selling Justin Miller Products.

anyway, i havent bought anything from that site and i will probably not buy in the future...
Justin Miller is one of my favorite magicians

Jan 5, 2008
It isnt just that one picture, it also reads this on the site: We disagree with people that use religion to sell DVD's. Last year Justin decided to anounce that he was leaving Magic for Religion and you better hurry and buy his last DVD. - he never did leave magic and continued to put out DVD's. We believe using religion as a ruse to sell DVD's is unethical. We disagree with this practice, and once the DVD's are gone in this catagory, we will no longer be selling Justin Miller Products.

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
Alright, Justin DID leave magic for a little while. I remember (it was only last year...) and he definitely was not forcing anyone to buy his stuff. Well he was....but my putting up massive sales. I love Justin's magic, and although I am not a Christian, in no way does that change my opinion of him as a person or as a magician. Justin, I am sorry there are such inconsiderate people out there. I have faced problems due to my religion even though I am not very religious. It is just the world we live in. Keep your head up and keep making magic. If they don't sell them, their loss.
Adam

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Get over it guys. Stop making comments if you don't even know Justin Miller personally. Also, have any of your guys been to the magic shop at all?

Jan 27, 2008
Lol. This is funny. They don't condone Justin's business practices but they're still selling his products? That's like Penguin screwing over Sankey and still keep on selling his products. Well, sort of. That's what it reminds me of.

Well, If just Miller DID do this, which I don't think he did, I would be a little dissapointed because if he was acting like he was leaving just to sell his products, that doesn't seem very fair.

But regardless, I still respect him as a magician seeing how he hasn't screwed any of his magic peers like Penguin does.

..:Z:..

I won't be buying from that shop - it's a bit harsh on Justin. But maybe an overreaction? I dunno. It's hard to look at this fairly when we've only seen Justin Miller's side of it, to be honest.

There is no other side. I would love to hear a legitimate explanation about how a magic shop would discriminate like that simply because of religion.

Yeah, i think it's been taken down now.

-Zodiac-

Feb 17, 2008
K-W, ON, Canada
I could have sworn I had an account here, but I guess not. :S

Anyway, people, listen:

First off, I really doubt Justin wrote that - and if he did, it sounds completely unprofessional. Passing out his private contact information and asking thousands of people to call and e-mail him? Are you kidding me? Justin can get his own lawyer and deal with this professionally if that's what he chooses to do. But truly, it sounds more like some Justin Miller fanboy wrote it, what with it's incredibly unprofessional tone and horrible spelling and grammar.

"I see you do not have a phone number on your site..mmm well if you care to be a man and talk to me you would do well to give me your number.
If not I can find you no problem."

You guys are against what Kind of Magic is doing, but you think threatening to "come find them" and "deal with it like men" is ok??? Does this not sound threatening to you and lacking professionalism? :|

Surely some of you have posted your opinions of others on the internet? Some of which others don't agree with? Would you like to be threatened to be hunted down because of that? :|

Second, he posted the picture alone. At least some people had the sense to actually LOOK INTO THIS before BUYING into it. Take the picture in context.

"Justin Miller
We disagree with people that use religion to sell DVD's. Last year Justin decided to anounce that he was leaving Magic for Religion and you better hurry and buy his last DVD. - he never did leave magic and continued to put out DVD's. We believe using religion as a ruse to sell DVD's is unethical. We disagree with this practice, and once the DVD's are gone in this catagory, we will no longer be selling Justin Miller Products."

Now consider this: this is their site, their company where they get to choose what they sell for whatever reason. Is the picture really harmful to him? How many of you have even seen it before this? I have been shopping with them for some time now (they're my local shop) and they are WONDERFUL people, BEYOND nice. Honestly, give them a try and you would be beyond pleased with how great they are to deal with.

Edit:
There is no other side. I would love to hear a legitimate explanation about how a magic shop would discriminate like that simply because of religion.
[/edit]

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with them being against religion/Christianity. For all you know, the owner/employees are religious or perhaps Christian themselves. They did not say they refuse to sell his products because he's religious. They feel he deceived the magic community into thinking he was leaving magic to focus on his faith only to boost his sales. That's their right to believe that. Do you know the personal beliefs of everyone else you buy products from? Do you even care? It shouldn't matter.

The best part is, is Justin Miller not part of Ellusionist? HMM. Has anyone read their blog recently? Look how they talk of Criss Angel: http://blog.ellusionist.com/category/criss-angel/ No one is against buying E products because of this, though, are they? I doubt it.

Conclusion: don't jump the gun; don't harass these people when it doesn't even involve you, you don't know the whole story, you don't even know if Justin wrote the e-mail, etc.; don't shout that you will never buy from them based on this one this, because that's completely ridiculous. This Thread shouldn't even be here. If "Justin" wants to "deal with it like a man," then he doesn't need to rally all his fans to do the dirty work, I'm sure he has a lawyer.

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
That shouldn't be up there in the first place. Yea so? People Discriminate on the internet. But on the scale of it being on a website for a large scale of people to see is wrong. That should be taken down right away.

Well regardless of what the issue is Justin Miller doesn't impress me personally. He has repeatively ignored my E-mails asking for his opinions and help with my projects. He has said over and over I'm here to help the little guys here with furthering their magic and he does the exact opposite. Two faced is what that says to me. As far as his magic abilities I give him his due respect that he deserves but if he's not interested in responding back to his E-mails within months later I don't feel for the guy. My opinion of him and it sticks!

Shane.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
www.newyorkmagicproject.com
I received the same e-mail from Justin, so I can vouch for the fact that he did indeed write it.

I think both parites are in the wrong here.

For the shop, if you disagree with someone's business practices, you should simply stop carrying their products. There's no excuse for posting a photo like that, especially on a business site.

Justin is also wrong for bringing this into the open. His correspondence and threats of legal action against the shop should have remained between them, and not sent out to his e-mail subscribers or posted on forums.

I think Justin is basically a good guy, and probably acted hastily in a moment of passion when he saw that image.

Ultimately, this is an issue between Justin and that shop, and it should have never even been brought to our attention. The site has taken down the photo.

Feb 17, 2008
K-W, ON, Canada
For the shop, if you disagree with someone's business practices, you should simply stop carrying their products. There's no excuse for posting a photo like that, especially on a business site.

Agreed.

But I do think the threatening from Justin to basically "hunt them down and deal with it himself" is just a wee bit much. :|

I can't believe he actually wrote that... :|

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Honestly, I think he's being a bit of a drama queen about it. That kind of stuff happens... it's life. If someone put something like that of me, I wouldn't care. It's their right to do that. It may insult Justin, but when you're so-called "famous", that stuff's going to happen, and you'll just have to deal with it... it's just life.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Guys,
Let's slow down on passing judgment here. The reality of it all, is that none of us are in his specific situation, so it's pretty stupid to start categorizing and labeling Justin. We don't know all the details of the situation. Also, be careful not to take what Justin says out of context of his email. You make it sound like he's some vigilantly hunting his prey. Honestly, it's obvious that he has a legal right to follow through on this situation. All in all, keep the rash judging to a minimum. Maybe none of you have ever had something so meaningful as Justin's faith, so you would respond differently. You aren't in his shoes.

Anyways, just some thoughts, have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results