Should my friend get a tattoo?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
hey guys, wanted to ask for feedback for a friend.
he wants to get a tatoo, actually some tatoos.
he wants an ace of spades, a "vult mundus decipi", and a 4 spades on the lip for warning.... he has begun magic before me, but i still think.. well actually i dont know if he should, he is very much into magic.... he is 15...
he started like 4 months ago... what do you think.... i dont yet if he is going to get them, so i wanted to hear your opinions to tell him...
thanks

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
No offense to other people who already have tattoos; but once you get it, you'll probably have it for the rest of your life.

(Alright fine, removal of tattoos with laser surgery exists...)

But him being 15... I would say, No.

Sep 4, 2007
but once you get it, you'll probably have it for the rest of your life.

That's the point, and an argument from those who don't have, or are against tattoos I hear frequently and I will never understand.

if you think about the tattoo, and have a real reason for wanting it; and if it has a true meaning behind it - then it will be something that you will always look upon with positive reflection. Even when your older, chances are you will value it based on the reason why you got it.

I do have to say however, Tattoos are not an impulse purchase. Think about what you are getting before you get it. Really have a purpose and meaning behind it. That is what ensures the longevity of it.

I would tell your friend to really educate himself on them before getting the tattoos. Tell him to Really think about what he wants, to get to know different artists and their styles. Think about every aspect involved. That's how you get a proper tattoo.

urban

I don't know anywhere where you can even get a tattoo at 15, unless its some dude that just got out of prison and has his own machine.

I have one and plan on getting my left arm sleeved in the near future. If the only reason he is doing it is because of magic, I would tell him to strongly re think his choice.

Tattoos should have meaning and a lot of thought behind them, not just an Ace of Spades because you can do a some what alright card revelation. And BTW, what an uncreative card to tattoo on yourself. Everyone has an ace of spades with a skull which is so taboo.

Anyways, just some things to think about.

Sep 1, 2007
hey guys, wanted to ask for feedback for a friend.
he wants to get a tatoo, actually some tatoos.
he wants an ace of spades, a "vult mundus decipi", and a 4 spades on the lip for warning.... he has begun magic before me, but i still think.. well actually i dont know if he should, he is very much into magic.... he is 15...
he started like 4 months ago... what do you think.... i dont yet if he is going to get them, so i wanted to hear your opinions to tell him...
thanks

Ok well 4 months is not nearly enough time for the hype of trying to be a magician to wear off, it's actually about the peak of buying like crazy and trying to learn everything you possibly can.

So until that wears off, no. I have a magic-related tattoo that relates to more than just magic in my life that I've decided to get when I'm 18, but then again, I've been doing magic for two years now and can say that it's something I've put much thought into.

~Beans

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
That's the point, and an argument from those who don't have, or are against tattoos I hear frequently and I will never understand.

if you think about the tattoo, and have a real reason for wanting it; and if it has a true meaning behind it - then it will be something that you will always look upon with positive reflection. Even when your older, chances are you will value it based on the reason why you got it.

I do have to say however, Tattoos are not an impulse purchase. Think about what you are getting before you get it. Really have a purpose and meaning behind it. That is what ensures the longevity of it.

I would tell your friend to really educate himself on them before getting the tattoos. Tell him to Really think about what he wants, to get to know different artists and their styles. Think about every aspect involved. That's how you get a proper tattoo.

urban

You may understand if you are raised in a culture with rather conservative values.

But yes, I get your point about "purpose and meaning". I have nothing against those.

Oct 18, 2007
If you have to ask whether or not to get a tattoo, don't.

A tattoo should have significant personal meaning to you, and unless you're 100% sure beyond the shadow of a doubt, don't get the ink.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
It is illegal to get tattooed under the age of 18. No professional shop/artist would ever tattoo a 15 year old.
He definitely has some time to think about this.

I really dont see the point in tattoos. They look awful. You can get them removed, that costs money for a stupid mistake PLUS once removed by laser, you have scars big time. Only the weak and primative get tattoos and/or pearcings.

-Justin

Sep 1, 2007
I really dont see the point in tattoos. They look awful. You can get them removed, that costs money for a stupid mistake PLUS once removed by laser, you have scars big time. Only the weak and primative get tattoos and/or pearcings.

-Justin

1) if you're going to say weak and primitive at least spell primitive right, spelling it wrong is a bad way to prove your point.

2) If you're going to make a claim like that to begin with, please support your opinion rather than just saying their stupid and acting like you're always right and everyone should just take your word for it.

~Beans

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Actually, if you are under eighteen, you can get a tattoo, as long as you have a guardian with you. *I believe* But still, I would vote no...

Actually it is illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of eighteen even with parental consent. Any shop that would tattoo someone under the age of 18 is definitely not a shop you want to be at in the first place.

Your buddy has 3 years to decide if he still wants this tattoo. As someone who has multiple tattoos and is very happy with the artwork I have gotten I would strongly advise anyone considering this to think long and hard about it before they get one. I know quite a few guys who have gotten tattoos on a whim or with very little thought put into it and were looking at getting it removed less than a year later.

--Jim

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Only the weak and primative get tattoos and/or pearcings.

-Justin

Even though I don't have a tattoo, I find this statement offensive. That is the equivalent of someone saying "Only the single, geeky, still live in their parents basement kind of people do magic."

Tattoos, if acquired for a good meaning, have much value to the wearer, and are a form of personal expression.

What an ignorant statement to make without furnishing valid proof.

-ThrallMind

Sep 2, 2007
A tattoo is a serious and personal thing which should not be taken lightly. I would say that a fifteen-year-old who has been into magic for four months is making an error in judgment to get tattoos related to magic. His interest in magic may possibly decline, but the tattoo will be there for life. I've been considering getting a tattoo for a few years now, but I'd never get one that related to a hobby or pastime unless I knew for certain that it will be part of my life till I die. At fifteen, it's difficult to know that about any activity you're involved in.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
A tattoo is a serious and personal thing which should not be taken lightly. I would say that a fifteen-year-old who has been into magic for four months is making an error in judgment to get tattoos related to magic. His interest in magic may possibly decline, but the tattoo will be there for life. I've been considering getting a tattoo for a few years now, but I'd never get one that related to a hobby or pastime unless I knew for certain that it will be part of my life till I die. At fifteen, it's difficult to know that about any activity you're involved in.

Good advice.

Lets turn our attention to... Me for a sec.

I hope you all read my short story i put up a while back.
Magic is in my blood, My father was a magician, His father was a magician and his fathers father was a magician.

A simple spade (Even the size of a freckle) Would be so important to me.
It would just show how Dedicated and How much maic means to me.

As for your friend..
If he realy really really want's a tatoo, Tell him to get something small. Like a diamond or a club.

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
No I do not think he should. What if his house burns down and all his magic goes down the drain? wouldn't he regret it? But, If he is really into it and destined to become a magician and continue on his whole life doing magic, he should.
I am thinking of getting a tatoo of a picture of my mom, because when she passes away, there is no way shape or form to regret it.

Hope this helps narrow his decision,
Brian

Sep 4, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I really think this is a personal decision for your friend. Sure it would be cool, but what if down the road he decides to give up magic for whatever reason. Then there is no reason for it. Plus, about the one on the lip, did I read it wrong? Because I have no idea how much that would hurt, having a needle constantly stabbing ink into your lip. He would also have to consider the location of the tatoo, because some companies might not hire him due to the appearance when he goes to get a job.

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

-Justin

I, like others, find this very offensive.....People see those things as art and you disrespect that? Its just like how we see magic as an art, you wouldn't want people putting magic down like that , would you?

I personally like tattoos and piercings, they make people unique and not just another face then the crowd. It has nothing to do with being "weak and primitive". I think some tattoos are very beautiful, and those are the ones that people had to put alot of time into thinking about them....
Anyway, your being ignorant, end of story.

To the original poster, I do believe getting a tattoo while under 18 is illegal, so you may want to check that. He should also put alot more time into thinking about it. He could not even be into magic in a year from now, and also he should look into temp tattoos if he wants to use them for reveals, people wont be able to tell the difference, assuming you don't do the reveal two weeks after applying the tattoo, causing it to rub off some.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results