Performing Magic in School Part I

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Performing Magic in School

Prologue

Hey guys, this essay all started from a tiny little idea I had one day, and it developed into what you see here. It's basically an essay for all you teenagers out there that need help with performing magic in school. I hope you enjoy!

Hecklers

A problem many people encounter in school is the heckler. The “bully” of magicians, if you will. A heckler is basically someone who disrupts your performance. Whether it is screaming out the method, not shutting up, or just being rude to you and your spectators… they’re a pain in the butt. Hopefully some of these tips will help you out with hecklers.

There are numerous methods of getting rid of a heckler, but these 5 steps I picked up from Tyas Frantz tend to work really, really well.

Step 1: Acknowledge the heckler.
This means when the heckler spots a method and points it out, just say something along the lines of, "Good eye." But do it in a nonchalant kind of way, and just keep moving along. Odds are they will keep their mouth shut for the rest or your performances.

Step 2: Ignore the heckler.
This step is, I feel, very self-explanatory. Just ignore them, and either the crowd will hush them up, or they will decide that it's not worth it and either be quiet or leave.

Step 3: Out-heckle.
If there was one step here that I would recommend skipping for a school-age magician, this would be it. Trust me, I've tried it, odds are it won't end pretty.

Step 4: Educate the audience.
If at this point Mr. Heckler is still bothering you, just stop wherever you're at and tell the audience that you cannot perform with Mr. Heckler in the audience. Like Step 2, either the audience will shoo the heckler away, or the heckler will leave on his own.
Step 5: Have heckler removed.

If it really comes to the point where you have to have the spectator leave, you're in trouble. Because in school, people don't pay to "get in" to your show, they just stop and watch... therefore, without the audience's help, odds are you will never get the heckler to leave.

Now, for some magicians these 5 steps may work very well, for others, they may not work so well. For those of you who don't like these steps, simply don't use them. There is another method for dealing with a heckler that I have yet to use, because I haven't yet encountered a heckler since reading about this method.

If and when you encounter a heckler, simply say, "Sir/ma'am, it is apparent that you do not want me to perform for you, so I will leave you alone and perform elsewhere... thanks for your time." I bet 9/10 if you do this, the heckler's friends will have you come back, and you won't hear another peep out of that heckler.

Like mentioned earlier, one thing you probably shouldn’t do is try to out-heckle a heckler. Most of the time, you’ll just end up getting in a big fight, and your audience will leave. So, I suggest skipping that step, and moving right along to Educating the Audience.

Presentation

This, in our opinion, is the single most important aspect of performing magic... especially in school. The simplest of tricks can really hit hard in school if you present them right. One of my most used effects is the Invisible Deck. It is a very simple effect to learn, but without a proper presentation, you will not get the reactions you deserve.

If you are having trouble with your presentation, there are some things you can do to help improve.

First and foremost… perform for other magicians. Most magicians that are willing to watch want to see you become better and progress in magic, not see you fail. They will not only critique you on you performance, but your technical skill, as well. Heck, they might even teach you a thing or two.

The next thing I recommend is a video camera. Try and tape all your performances, that way you can go back and watch them, see what you did wrong, and correct that part of your performance. You can also post videos on Forums, such as Penguin Magic, and have other magicians/members help you along there.

And last but certainly not least, get some good books, such as Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz, Maximum Entertainment by Weber, or even Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey.

Random Tips:

-Try to be enthusiastic about performing.

-Be yourself and have fun.

-Practice until you don’t have to think about doing the moves, so you can focus solely on the presentation.

-Stick to material you’re comfortable with.

Crowd Control

One thing that we hear over and over again is, “Some stupid kid took my gimmicked prop!” And then a flood of responses saying, “So don’t use gimmicks, only do sleight of hand from now on.” While it’s great to only use sleight of hand, we think very magician should have a healthy balance of sleights and gimmicks.

The advantage of using only sleights is that your props can be handed out anytime during your show… the disadvantage of using gimmicks obviously being you cannot hand out your props at any time during your show. However, with the proper crowd control, you could ask them if they wanted to see a gimmicked object, and have them say no… yes, it’s happened before.

Random Tips:

-Remember, you are always in control… “They did not choose for you to do magic, you chose to let them see magic!”

“People Think I’m Gay Because of Magic!”

To be brutally honest with you… I have no idea what I would do in this situation. I have never experienced it, and I hope I never will have to go through it.

If they keep picking on you, I would suggest tell a teacher… I know you will be looked upon as the “tattle tale” or whatever, but it’s better than being called gay because you do magic, isn’t it?

A couple reasons they might be picking on you are: they are jealous of the attention you are getting because of your magic, they want to know how it’s done, or they could just be looking for someone to pick on, and you’re the closest person to them.
Some ways to get rid of these people are: telling a teacher/counselor, not performing around these people, or just not performing in school at all.

If you don’t ever encounter this problem… great! If you do, I’m sorry, and I hope you work your way through it!

Approaching Upper Classmen

I think this can be a very touchy subject, but I’ll cover it to the best of my abilities.

Some people are nervous about approaching students older than themselves, and I totally see why. Older students often get the idea that they are “better” than the other students in the school, and therefore can pick on the younger students. Please, if you are one of these people, grow up. Because of this, younger students prefer to stay away from other students, and are therefore apprehensive about approaching them with magic. My suggestions are to first perform for a couple upper classmen that you know, and wait until word spreads about your magic. Then, you won’t have to worry about being turned down or made fun of, because you will actually have older students calling you over to show them some magic.

If, at this point, you are still nervous about approaching older students… just don’t perform for them until word gets out of your awesome skills, and they’re calling you over.

Random Tips:

-Do not approach older students that are busy… as Akirafist once said: “Learn to know the difference between bored and busy!”

-Don’t be nervous… everything will be fine.

-No offensive jokes… they are not only older than you, but they also don’t know you very well. Plus, you’re in school, you need to keep your mouth clean. 

-Only perform material that you are very comfortable with, that way there is an almost zero percent chance of messing up.

-Build up your reputation first, that way the older students won’t think you’re just some loser who knows some cute tricks… don’t be a loser who just knows some cute tricks.

-Be yourself… more than likely, they will like you for who you are, so be yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to read this at another time just for the hell of it but from the little I read you are giving some great advice.

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
Performing Magic in School
“People Think I’m Gay Because of Magic!”
To be brutally honest with you… I have no idea what I would do in this situation. I have never experienced it, and I hope I never will have to go through it.
If they keep picking on you, I would suggest tell a teacher… I know you will be looked upon as the “tattle tale” or whatever, but it’s better than being called gay because you do magic, isn’t it?
A couple reasons they might be picking on you are: they are jealous of the attention you are getting because of your magic, they want to know how it’s done, or they could just be looking for someone to pick on, and you’re the closest person to them.
Some ways to get rid of these people are: telling a teacher/counselor, not performing around these people, or just not performing in school at all.
If you don’t ever encounter this problem… great! If you do, I’m sorry, and I hope you work your way through it!

All I can say about this part that what I learned by watching a clip in class about sexual harrassment, it may seem dumb, but calling someone gay is sexual harrassment.

Another thing I can say is, just about everyone is a heckler. Doesn't matter who they are. There are some who are there just to enjoy it, the rest do as much as they can to destroy you. Be lucky that there might be many there who enjoy it. I have read that someone was performing, a heckler shouted out "I know how he does that!" about to go on to how he does it, the other people there tell him to shut up.

Very good tips.

Sep 1, 2007
All I can say about this part that what I learned by watching a clip in class about sexual harrassment, it may seem dumb, but calling someone gay is sexual harrassment.
I think the word gay is a widely overused word, it can be used as a general insult, or to actually define someone who's homosexual, thinking someone is homosexual isn't sexual harrassment, but thinking someone is gay in an insult form, is more of an offense.

Nice Essay Drew, a lot of good info for you guys who perform at school ;)

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
I think the word gay is a widely overused word, it can be used as a general insult, or to actually define someone who's homosexual, thinking someone is homosexual isn't sexual harrassment, but thinking someone is gay in an insult form, is more of an offense.

Nice Essay Drew, a lot of good info for you guys who perform at school ;)

Then that movie clip was lying to me.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it... I definitely had fun writing it. About the word "gay"... it is used way too much in my school. I will even admit it, I use it a lot. I only had one person that I talked to in the writing of this essay that said people actually thought he was gay, so I think it is a very rare circumstance. People may call you gay, but I think in most scenarios they are using it as an insult because a) they're mad they can't figure it out or b) they're jealous of the attention you get with your magic. Once again, thanks for the feedback guys!

Man, if someone said I was gay I'd pop 'em in the mouth. At least I did the first step, acknoledge them ;). Anyways, great advice bro. I perform all the time at my school and don't encounter as many hecklers as I would just strolling around...but I still happens. I just ignore them and they shut their gums. Again, good thread dude...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yeah, it gets annoying... everybody calling everybody else gay every five seconds. Most of the time it's in a joking manner, but it still doesn't make ya feel very good.

Aris: Thanks!

Sep 3, 2007
Very good post, magic in school is pretty rough, but if you can handle it, your good to go on adults and younger kids! School is one of the harder crowds!

Sep 1, 2007
Hey thanks for this awesome post! It helps a TON.

Thanks a million adjones!!!

Sincerly,
Spencer.

P.S. At least i'm a sophmore so I have sophmores and freshman to please with my "awesome skills" haha. Thanks again.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just so everybody knows, there are 3 parts to this essay.

Sep 1, 2007
Great Essay Drew. If you haven't posted this at penguin yet, you should, they will love it over there.

Sin

Sep 2, 2007
Although this was a good read, even with your advice and tips, magic in school is still murder. I'm not sure if im alone in this situation, but for me, school is probably the worst place in the world to perform magic at.

I mean, of course random things once in awhile like "Hey, check this out. I can stab a pen through this bill...etc, etc" would probably be perfect, but a full routine would just be impossible.

Again, I dont know what the situation is like for others, but that's my situation. All I can say to those wanting to perform in school is good luck and have fun with it.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yes, I agree with you, school is a horrible place to perform magic. But, the argument to this is that it will prepare you for real performance situations. School is the toughest place to perform. Even if you mess up/get hecklers on your first effect, the only place to go is up, right?

Creeper: I have posted the shorter version of it on Penguin... I haven't gotten around to posting the whole version yet. I expect to be putting it up later tonight, though.

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
where do you guys perform. because i normally perform at recess or lunch. but sumtimes in class people ask me and it is kind of annoying coz i am sitting sideon to them!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I perform mainly before classes. We only have four minutes to get between classes, but I don't jack around in the hallways and waste my time. That way I have at least 3 minutes to perform... well, at best. I usually only do one effect before class, and I make sure that I have permission from the teacher, that way if the effect accidentaly runs into class, I'm in the clear. I also perform at lunch, but not as much, because I have to hurry to eat to make sure I'm done in time. It's tough fiinding time to perform, and there are really only two classes I perform in, but the teachers in those classes are really nice, and like to watch the magic themselves.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
i view school as a proving ground for magicians...if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere...a combination of the toughest hecklers around, and sometimes the most crowded and cramped spaces...ppl will just love you if you do it right

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results