Magic trick names are weird

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
In my opinion, the name of a creation should be left ENTIRELY down to it's creator.

We have as much right to suggest alternative titles for magic effects as we do songs... Would we tell Robert Smith (of the cure, not the magician) to rename 'Lullaby', 'That spiderman song' just because it more closely relates to the matter? Nope, afraid not.

By the way, just as an aside, 'Over Easy Scrambled' is named so because the effect it was based on was called 'Over Easy' (which relates to the ease of handling, I believe, but also to, erm, eggs) and Josh 'Scrambled' it a little... hence... Y'know!

Haha.

VL

Jul 21, 2008
Finland
Some names might sound stupid but is anyother name better? It maybe doesn't give any information about the trick but thats fine. Should "Angle zero" be "Corner vanishes and reappears somewhere" :p

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
By the way, just as an aside, 'Over Easy Scrambled' is named so because the effect it was based on was called 'Over Easy' (which relates to the ease of handling, I believe, but also to, erm, eggs) and Josh 'Scrambled' it a little... hence... Y'know!

Haha.

VL

Ho-hoh! Bad puns ahoy. :p Love 'em.

I'd compare naming tricks to the same way the new Batman film was called epicly "THE DARK KNIGHT" and not just "Batman: Another one".

It also separates it from any other variations already out there, so like... Shifty, would be easily differentiated from Shigeo Futagawa's Elevator. Y'dig?

- Sean

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't see anything wrong with those names, but personally I think they fit pretty well. However, here's a few names of effects that I still cannot get my head around:

Kolossal Killer - Kenton Knepper
Sleughtsayers - Peter Duffie
Over Easy Scrambled - Joshua Jay
Mik Mak Mok - Jerry Sadowitz and Peter Duffie
Dirty Stinkin' Ape in the Middle - Tyler Wilson
Bushwacker - Paul Harris
Slap Me Again - Larry Jennings

I am at a loss as to how these were named, LOL.

Jordan

Jordan, regarding Dirty Stinkin' Ape in the Middle - a favourite routine of mine. From the book Dominatricks in which this sandwich effect is found:

"The name comes from the fact that this routine bears aesthetic resemblance to Bill Goldman’s excellent marketed routine Monkey In The Middle. It’s gaffed but ooooooooh so clean! Other attempts at ungaffed variations of Goldman’s routine include David Regal’s Primate from Up Close and Personal (1999), Jack Avis’ No Rough Monkey from Ahead of the Pack (2002) and James Swain’s Gorilla in the Middle from Miracles With Cards (1996). They’re tasty."

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Some people don't seem to understand. It's not that the names are just "kewl", it's the fact that they do not make sense. A good name should at least reference the subject in some form, not make some obscure peek into the creator's thoughts. Like "Sinful"... nobody in their right mind would automatically make the correct assumption as to where that name came from.

Think about it guys. If tricks were named for what they are then well everything would be boring and inartistic. Like Panic could be name "deck vanish" or King and Deck Transpo, or Witness could be like "Joker inside bag turns to your card". How boring is that. Just think of that. Oh well. There's my two cents.

Forane

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Homebean on the Scene!

When it comes to names like Sinful, Witness, Deviance :p These names don't necessarily reference the effect it's self, but hold relevance to the trick in it's entirety - the method, etc.

Sinful is so devious it's almost a sin to deceive people like that :p
Witness references the new patter Lee uses, "you are all witnesses" - it's a nice hook.
Deviance deviates from what people think when they think card thru window.

I imagine that there are names out there that have nothing to do with the trick, however, I can see a correlation!:)

D.

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
What's in a Name?

In my opinion, the name of a creation should be left ENTIRELY down to it's creator.

We have as much right to suggest alternative titles for magic effects as we do songs... Would we tell Robert Smith (of the cure, not the magician) to rename 'Lullaby', 'That spiderman song' just because it more closely relates to the matter? Nope, afraid not.

[snip]

VL

We have every right to suggest, cajole, demand, or refuse name changes of anything; just as those who create, market, or distribute said items have the right to disregard our suggestions.

Peter Gabriel released several albums with no titles at all. That was his prerogative. Fans adopted a naming convention of their own (by referencing the image on the album covers). That was their prerogative. I'm sure Mr. Gabriel didn't intend for one of his album's to be known as "Melting Face", but there you go.

(Likewise, the Beatles' White Album, etc., etc.)

And the Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince, well, he sorta asked for what happened with his stage name, didn't he?

It happens all of the time; a title established by the creator of a particular work gets replaced, in common usage, by the consumers of that work. Robert Frost's "Stopping by a Wood on a Snowy Evening" is often referred to as "Miles to Go Before I Sleep" or "Whose Woods These Are", even though the original title makes more sense. Nilsson's "You're Breaking My Heart" becomes "The Eff You Song". The Beatles' "Revolution 9" becomes "Number 9". Etc. I'm sure you can think of other, better examples of pop songs that are known by colloquial names in place of their original titles.

I must confess, I like the name "Deuce Bag" better than "Witness", but for marketing purposes, I can understand why Lee Asher changed the name. Likewise, George Lucas renaming "Star Wars" to "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" and Steven Spielberg renaming "Raiders of the Lost Ark" to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" were marketing decisions. Alas, these last two examples feel less-than-clever to me, and I'm not so sure that the creator's intentions have persuaded the movie-going public to change how they refer to these particular movies. (Although, to be fair, I have noticed that some people now refer to "Star Wars" as "A New Hope". FWIW.)

I like how the creators of the TV show Friends anticipated how people refer to their favorite episodes, and gave them names like "The One Where Rachel Does Something Dumb" or "The One Where Ross Eats His Own Head."

Theodore Roosevelt's parents named him, well, Theodore, but he was known to his intimates as TR and to the rest of the world as "Teddy" (even though he hated that nickname).

My point being that it's ok for Tom and Katie to name their first child "Suri", but it's also okay for us common folk to say, "That's not the name I would have chosen."

What's in a name? It's just a reference point. A handle by which we can discuss things and ideas and be clear on that to which we are referring. On those occasions when a name fails in that capacity, new reference points will be adopted that are better suited to the job. If I say, "The White Album", and you know I'm referencing the self-titled release by the Beatles, then the name I used has served its purpose, even if it's not the name originally assigned to that product by its creators.

Likewise, if I say "Card through Window", you know what I mean. If I say, "KAOS", and you know what I mean, then "KAOS" serves its purpose as a name. If not, then... not.

My name is Allan Rousselle. And I approve this message.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results