Ever offended anyone by just magic?

Jan 13, 2008
Cyrus, my apologies...i didnt mean to make it seem as if i was trying to twist your words. Sorry if you thought that.

It appears i was ignorant how this man was speaking. I thought he was mad.

I guess my point of view on how my magic affects my life is different from others. Ive never considered it to be anything like a drug. But i guess i can see from the other side of the glass how seeing a man who can do these magical things, A TON of magical things could make it look "consuming". I guess after so many years of DL's, passes, counts, and other secret moves one starts to forget just how amazing and impossible it really is. Thanks for this thread, it may have brought back some of that real magic. It has reminded me that--------

Its a whole different world when you become the one holding the cards. -Prince Hidalgo

p.s- this thread has also brought about my new signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at the end of the day a lot of it boils down to how you're expressing your magic, and what magic you're performing. Take Wayne Houchin's "Control" as an example; the effect is to stop your pulse. I am sure that the majority of anyone you show this to, will believe it is real. Whether it be "supernatural" or just very freaky, they will be quite shaken by the experience (especially in the manner which Wayne has chosen to perform it). However, if the performance was changed slightly and was worded very differently, a completely new outcome would arise.

Take for instance, him saying this at the beginning: "Here's something that's pretty weird.. I don't often do this since it tends to freak people out, but if you feel comfortable with it, I would be happy to give it a go? It's nothing "supernatural" or "satanic", it's just an interesting method of calming yourself down -- almost like yoga. Are you sure it's okay for me to do?" With this, he's simply set up the mindset that this has nothing to do with something potentially 'harmful'. In fact, he's strictly portrayed that it is something like yoga, and that is a very comforting thought - almost like it's a 'method' he uses to calm himself down. Thus, you have eliminated the thought that this is connected to (a) Devil Worship, and (b) Ghostly or Supernatural Experiences. This also comes closer to removing the possibility of conflicting with many Religious beliefs; plus other potential explanations people argue with.

Although it cannot be said for everyone, there will still be objections. But by just changing the dynamic and setting up the effect in a different way, you are no longer running as much risk of mentally corrupting your audience' mind and putting them through such a dangerous rollercoaster ride. I think the magicians' performances play a huge role in how your audience will react to what is going on.

Just something to think about. :)

Take care,
Jordan

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Cyrus, my apologies...i didnt mean to make it seem as if i was trying to twist your words. Sorry if you thought that.

It appears i was ignorant how this man was speaking. I thought he was mad.

I guess my point of view on how my magic affects my life is different from others. Ive never considered it to be anything like a drug. But i guess i can see from the other side of the glass how seeing a man who can do these magical things, A TON of magical things could make it look "consuming". I guess after so many years of DL's, passes, counts, and other secret moves one starts to forget just how amazing and impossible it really is. Thanks for this thread, it may have brought back some of that real magic. It has reminded me that--------

Its a whole different world when you become the one holding the deck. -Prince Hidalgo

p.s- this thread has also brought about my new signature.

Its all good man, I just wanted to help you understand where I was coming from. From what you said, I was unsure if you did or not. There are a few movies and books out there that can show what I'm talking about more.

A good example of this is The Covenant, horrible movie, but its a good example. In the movie, magical powers are an addiction to the people who possess them and every time they use their powers they age. So they age faster and can get addicted to the thing that causes them to age faster. Its not the same stuff we perform, but some laymen may not be able to tell the two apart in a way.

I love the quote, its very true. Its extremely different from our point of view, sometimes its hard to see from the other person's eyes. But sometimes we need to be able to, so we can become better at what we do.

-Cyrus

Sep 1, 2007
Beirut Lebanon
Btw im a muslim, and there is nothing wrong about magic in our religion. Its stupid people like that guy that make us muslims seem like idiots. I have studied the islamic religion voluntary to see its basis, and basically its not the strict tight ass religion it seems. The person that made that lecture is basically an ignorant fool that is offending muslims all over the globe.

Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for your input HeTaL....nice to hear it from your point of view. Is there anything you tend to stay away from performing personally?

Feb 25, 2008
In a house.
I don't think I offended him, but I was table hopping at a Outback Steakhouse and I offered to do a trick for this guy. He then said that his kid was "allergic" (idk) to magic. IDK what the heck he meant. He was totally serious. Is this part of some culture, religion, etc?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results