Close Up Mats?

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hey guys,
I need some help with close-up mats. I don't know whether or not I should get one - and if I do, I don't know which to choose.

What do you use your close-up mats for? Do you take them with you when you perform at parties etc?

Thanks for your time,

~The Emogician~

You should definatly get a close-up mat. If you're serious about card magic, it's a necessity. They come in a bunch of different sizes and colors. I bought a purple one off of ebay. They have some pretty good prices on them. You can also use them for other magic tricks, such as coin and stuff.

Hope I helped :),

The Magician Cool

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
That is what I have been hoping to do.

there are some great mats out there.. actually Justin Miller has a KILLER closeup table/mat he's selling. It's quite a shock when you see the price but I guess for the serious card worker, it'd be worth it.

Mats will help you a great deal. Table shuffling is SO MUCH EASIER because of the sponge material allows your fingers to sink lower than the surface of the pad and pick up the cards. Also table spreads are much easier because of the felt grip.

I definitely recommend getting one.

Oct 6, 2007
I dont agree that a close-up mat is a neccessity. Its not going to make you any better of a magician, although it will make your image look better.

And yes, it'll make things easier. But if you're short on cash, spend yout money on something that will make things imporve, like a book or soemthing.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hey,
Thanks for all of your advice guys - I've decided that I'll get a close-up pad. Only trouble is, I don't know which to get. Can you recommend any? (and if so, can you say where you got it from).
Again, thanks very much.

=]

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
stay away from "over there"'s pads.. way too overpriced.. starting off, you'd better go with one from ebay.. equal quality, fraction o' the price, just get the right size.. I like the big ones

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
What do you think of this mat?

Cheers again =]
That one looks large.
In general, bigger the better. It gives you more room to spread cards, for example. But, large one is harder to carry. Also, some pads have to be folded specific way. Some materials are better for coins than cards, ad vice versa. I would recommend first seeing one live, if possible. If there is a local magic shop, or someone you know has one etc.
I have personally four pads, three of them bought from local stores, and fourth I got as a gift. One large green, that needs to be folded carefully, one quite large black, that is easier to fold, and to very smalls, so I can carry them everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
My card mat makes my hands taste all rubbery :(

Why am I tasting my hands you ask...

You don't need to know that.

Sep 15, 2007
I prefer the Apollo brand pads and Zeus pads. The zeus pads seem to last longer.
I have several Gibson pads and they work well and come in good colors.

Try not to totally rely on a pad though as it is good for formal close-up but when you do walk around you will encounter problems such as where to set it down.
A close-up pad is like a stage in that it allows you to block areas for effects and it is good for things like Cups and Balls work or the three shells game and of course cards and coins.
enjoy the search...the best thing to do though is to
1: Try out a pad in your local shop
2: cheaper pads are by far not better...they fall apart and seperate. I had one brand of pad totally disintegrate after two years. I am still picking out the pieces of rubber from my case.

Justin makes a nice pad/table
Dean makes a nice pad
Ronjo makes the Apollo Pads
and most dealers have gibson brand pads. I believe the Ellusionist pads are gibbson Pads.
Thewre are even pads and tables with Suede ...those are nice ones.

Theory 11 ....do you have any Close-up pads yet?? Would be cool to see a new design or pattern for it.
Later

Aug 31, 2007
After reading this thread, I ended up picking up a small rug at Wal-Mart for $5 that works very well for what I need it for. Kind of lame, I know, but it works.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results