Visual Aspect // Prophet and Extreme Burn

I'm gonna go ahead and hop on the bandwagon of people who are saying that had Prophet come first, it would have done better than it will probably do. But c'mon; Richard Sanders is a well reputed magician who has released several extremely good products. If you're afraid of quality, you're not doing Sanders any justice. I can't see him as half-assing the production value of any of his products; he's just doesn't come across as that kind of guy. He's got phenomenal sleight of hand and a terrific sense of humor; what's not to like?

My conjecture: you're "sticking with what you know" because you're on the younger side and like the gritty, new-age grunge style of Theory11. You like how hip the website is and enjoy hearing the cool, slightly creepy music playing in the background as these magicians you have come to know through this site talk about cool effects. As a result, you become an absolute fanboy of this site, which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing; the issue is when you overlook other magicians simply because they're not on this site.

Extreme Burn comes with several variations and honestly looks spectacular. If I were to use "real magic" to change the denominations of currency, I think this is the way I would want to do it. We're so used to covering things, making sure not to flash and that angles are completely safe, because there's always some dirty work to cover up. But to simply flick the bills, or to just throw them from one hand into the other, and have them change? It really doesn't get much more visual.

Theory11 is a great site. But to say that other products, other sites, other magicians simply don't live up? Make sure you know who and what you're talking about. In all honesty, T11 is a young site. While I'm sure everybody here is working extra hard to make everything work seamlessly, I would be much more shocked if Sanders screwed up on quality than if T11 did; Richard Sanders has been releasing products for quite some time.

On a side note, commas and periods don't hurt to use. In fact, a lot of the time they tend to help. If English is not your first language and I'm simply being a pretentious ass, I apologize. But if that's not the case, you should know better.

We'll now Samuel I do have to agree with one thing here. You are being a pretentious A@!. But that's alright cause your allowed your opinion but in all fainess maybe I should help you out here with some of your reasoning to my thread. First, (comma) I am 31 not some young fanboy. Second, (comma) I have been purchasing magic from different wholesaler's for seventeen years and I don't hold myself to just Theory11 because of quality. (period) If you would have read my response on clearing this up you would have noticed I said I would like to read some reviews on both effects and make my decision there. Third, (comma) I also mentioned I am aware of Sander's and that he's a great magician backing the fact that I knew pretty much everything you just tried to spell out to me. So for all your wit I respectfully apoligize means nada.
I appreciate the the schooling on my periods and commas but it was pretty late at night last night so I was a little tired. But sorry if anyone has mis-interpreted my thread but once agian this will clear things up.

Shane

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
DO they teach you how to present the effect? (Either one) Because the simplest way is borrowing $1 then turning it into a hundred, but there's the dillema they ask for thei money back and you either give them the hundred, or ruin the effect by giving them their dollar back? I think the one that teaches you good ways to use this effect, is the one I'll go with.

BTW I just read about EB, it does seem hard to beat: 90-minute DVD, 9 versions, plus bonus. But we'll see, t11 might be onto something completely different, and maybe better.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
That was INSANE!

I second that, just watched the demo, I was jumping on my seat and laughing. I like the one where he just keeps turning the bills over and they change, you guys got me really interested in this, too bad I bought an effect just recently, this is on top of my list though, I came up with so many good presentation ideas for this.

Update: The one at 1:08 just got an OMG from me, no cover at all, he is right, they JUST change.

Sep 2, 2007
I felt the urge to echo that EB is also at the top of my list. I seriously hope prophet has something to offer also. :D

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It seems like this is going to take a miracle to make this live up to the hype. I think this may turn out even worse than the Centurions. The Centurions IMO definitely did not live up to the 100 page hype and mysteries. The main reason that they turned out bad, the Guardians. With cards those great and which such a great demand, the expectations were extremely high, especially with that hype. They are great cards, but the Guardians were what made them bad. Theory 11 messed up on this one.

I think Prophet is the same. Prophet seems like a good trick (even though we don't technically know what it is), but with Extreme Burn, it's pointless. It's going to flop, and many won't care about it. If it honestly is just the same Hundy 500 kind of plot, I have to say that Theory 11 is already advertising themselves to failure.

If it turns out to be this plot, they messed up on the trailer. They leaked to much, they already gave us too much of the effect. It would be a lot more effective if they just showed reactions and him spreading the ones, then after some blurriness and spec reactions, he reveals the hundreds. Later, they can show a trailer showing how visual the trick is, kind of like they did with TnR.

Also, the description killed it:

The most insanely visual bill change yet released.

BILL CHANGE?!?! Oh no! So many people got turned off right there. Why would they think of writing that, whenever people are discussing what the effect could be, and they're all hoping that it "isn't just another bill change" because it would be a huge disappointment. Really, it would have been better to say:

A visual, hard hitting bill effect created by Tom Isaacson.

I don't know how they can turn it around if the trick is infact what we all think it is. I think there could be a few things to help it look a lot better. But, for the most part, it looked as if they trucked up here. The little things can make a big difference. Although Theory 11 had amazing hype for a while, ever since the Centurions, it looks as if the usual hype T11 does is making their effects flop. The crazy treasure hunts may be fun, but they extremely raise the expectations. Even the original whatistheory11 hype didn't turn out as well. They were many disappointments with it. Only a few things were really "goodly hyped". Here's a little list that rates how successful Theory 11 hyped their products, which just contains my opinions:

1. Theory 11 opening, What Is Theory 11 (Includes tricks like Distortion and Panic) Okay
2. Guardians Good
3. Witness Good
4. TnR Okay
5. Control Good
6. Centurions Bad

See The decline?

Really, I believe that Prophet will be a flop, unless it actually turns out to be something different. But if it isn't different, it will be hard for T11 to fix their mistakes.

Thats your opinion, I don't think you can really justify by saying centurions were bad or control was good.

Sep 3, 2007
We'll now Samuel I do have to agree with one thing here. You are being a pretentious A@!. But that's alright cause your allowed your opinion but in all fainess maybe I should help you out here with some of your reasoning to my thread. First, (comma) I am 31 not some young fanboy. Second, (comma) I have been purchasing magic from different wholesaler's for seventeen years and I don't hold myself to just Theory11 because of quality. (period) If you would have read my response on clearing this up you would have noticed I said I would like to read some reviews on both effects and make my decision there. Third, (comma) I also mentioned I am aware of Sander's and that he's a great magician backing the fact that I knew pretty much everything you just tried to spell out to me. So for all your wit I respectfully apoligize means nada.
I appreciate the the schooling on my periods and commas but it was pretty late at night last night so I was a little tired. But sorry if anyone has mis-interpreted my thread but once agian this will clear things up.

Shane
Calm down Shane. Obviously the comma remark was aimed at ninja and what Deryn aptly referred to as a wall o' text. So before you get all bent out of shape about my statements, make sure you realize who I'm aiming them at.

On a side note, I'm glad you're able to shamelessly misspell apologize and place unnecessary hyphens in misinterpreted. It's nice that you'd take offence at a statement not aimed at you, and then undermine your argument by failing to use proper grammar and spelling.

Also, if you're nitpicking about how I didn't read your posts or don't understand what you're trying to say, why don't you take a step back and see if you can't find a trace of hypocrisy in your argument? If you took a moment to calm yourself down and actually read some of what I wrote, maybe you'd realize that I was saying that T11 has a higher probability, being a new site, to have issues with quality than a Sanders product (his name is Sanders, by the way, not Sander; "Sander's" is not correct by any means) would, because Sanders has been releasing products for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

Now I can see this thread is getting a little bit on edge about everything. Just wanted to remind everyone to keep a cool head and stick to the topic at hand. If your going to have a huge argument about companies, or originality, or quality etc. Do that in private.

So, with that said keep up the debating but, make sure it is relevant to what the topic originally started out as,
Cheers :).

-RA69

Calm down Shane. Obviously the comma remark was aimed at ninja and what Deryn aptly referred to as a wall o' text. So before you get all bent out of shape about my statements, make sure you realize who I'm aiming them at.

On a side note, I'm glad you're able to shamelessly misspell apologize and place unnecessary hyphens in misinterpreted. It's nice that you'd take offence at a statement not aimed at you, and then undermine your argument by failing to use proper grammar and spelling.

Also, if you're nitpicking about how I didn't read your posts or don't understand what you're trying to say, why don't you take a step back and see if you can't find a trace of hypocrisy in your argument? If you took a moment to calm yourself down and actually read some of what I wrote, maybe you'd realize that I was saying that T11 has a higher probability, being a new site, to have issues with quality than a Sanders product (his name is Sanders, by the way, not Sander; "Sander's" is not correct by any means) would, because Sanders has been releasing products for quite some time.

We'll I can't argue the fact that I'm not a English Lit expert but I try. In response to your thread your remarks sounded as if they where pointed at me. I apoligize if I mis-interpreted your post that's a my bad. However it's easy to find a hint of hypocrisy in anyone's opinion. That's what start's debates and long discussions in the wee hours of the night. Anyway's it's cool I get what your saying now.

Shane

Jan 27, 2008

You know, this amazes me: You know, how people like to attack each other for stupid reasons on such things as spelling and grammar.... But why do people nitpick each other like that? To affirm their egos? Dominate the other person? You guys aren't achieving neither of those. If anything, your making yourselves look like a bunch of arrogant Richard Craniums...

Seriously, you guys are disappointing.... If you don't want to talk to nice and have a civil debate, then leave please. I don't want you here.

Wait, there's a chip on your shoulders. Please, let me take them off you before they scratch you....

I'm changing my signature.

WSTE-Ms

..:Z:..

You know, this amazes me: You know, how people like to attack each other for stupid reasons on such things as spelling and grammar.... But why do people nitpick each other like that? To affirm their egos? Dominate the other person? You guys aren't achieving neither of those. If anything, your making yourselves look like a bunch of arrogant Richard Craniums...

Seriously, you guys are disappointing.... If you don't want to talk to nice and have a civil debate, then leave please. I don't want you here.

Wait, there's a chip on your shoulders. Please, let me take them off you before they scratch you....

I'm changing my signature.

WSTE-Ms

..:Z:..

That was my sentiments exactly. I hope you are not speaking to me cause if you bite at me I show my teeth if you want to get along then peace be with you, if you want to yell at me or condesend me then I will take the upper ground. Let's move forward with this thread without the name calling it doesn't help anyone's case.

Shane

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results