Left Handers

Feb 28, 2008
Hey... I'm kind of new to the forums and to magic and have been wondering if anyone else is left handed and has any problems with that?

I'm not saying a lot of problems arise, but I find when I learn things off tutorials I have to adjust quite a bit to certain tricks and flourishes.

Jan 7, 2008
Start practising with like you were right-handed, and everything will become much easier in the future.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I am left handed but I hold the deck with my left hand and as I understand left handers hold the deck with the right?

Anyway it's really awkward for me to do certain moves.

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You can only usually find teachings for right handed people, so it would probably be best in the long run to learn how to do things right handed. Or you can just keep translating over to left handed.

Completely off topic, but I love your signature NlightN. Its so true and it made me laugh.

-Cyrus

Hey... I'm kind of new to the forums and to magic and have been wondering if anyone else is left handed and has any problems with that?

I'm not saying a lot of problems arise, but I find when I learn things off tutorials I have to adjust quite a bit to certain tricks and flourishes.

Before getting really good doing left handed magic, just swap and do right handed magic.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I'm pretty sure there's a video player somewhere that allows you to flip the video horizontally, essentially allowing for a left handed view. I think! Don't quote me on that.

And to all of you who are saying "learn right-handed" the guy is naturally left handed!!! How would you like it (and I'm assuming here) if magic was suddenly being taught only in left-handed terms. I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't really want to learn left-handed! :p

Lee Asher is a lefty I think. I know that he holds the deck in his right hand at least.

- Sean

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
And to all of you who are saying "learn right-handed" the guy is naturally left handed!!! How would you like it (and I'm assuming here) if magic was suddenly being taught only in left-handed terms. I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't really want to learn left-handed! :p

It sure would suck, but I would probably do it.

-Cyrus

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
IMO i dont mind either hand, im trying to do both hands (for flourishing) i started with right hand, so i know the techniques for my left hand. (left hand being holding the deck normally, in your right hand, and vice versa)

cheers,
eugene

gared_Crawford

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm a lefty as well. I would strongly urge against re-learning as a righty. Once you have gone through a few trick tutorials or magic books as a lefty then the translation aspect will become second nature to you. Besides...I have found numerous perks as a lefty that can't be accomplished as a righty. Staying a lefty is another small detail that will help make your magic unique.

I can only think of a few tricks that can only be done right handed and they are the types of tricks that a left handed person could train themselves to do as a righty.

Oct 18, 2007
I never understood what the problem was with reversing instructions. It's logical and just happened for me. A little thing that annoys me though is when a left handed person is teaching something and they have to explain that they're a lefty, hahah, but oh well.

The only time I have trouble being left handed is when learning flourishes, and I find it easier to reverse instructions rather than learn right handed. + I'm not a fan of blank fans and upside down pips. =[

Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for all the responses guys.. I just started doing magic awhile ago. I don't find it very difficult to learn things as a lefty now it's just that when I started, I didn't even realize that I was a lefty because I'm kind of screwed up and do some things right handed (write and eat) but most everything else left handed. It wasn't until I started to learn fanning that I realized I was left handed because the right handed way, if you do it left handed, makes it impossible to see the pips...

I just purchased distortion and I find it a little different looking when you do it... It's kind of nice though.

Jonathan Bayme is left handed, so am I. I think that just staying left handed is the best way, i've never had problems transposing tutorials, although some moves do need to be done right handed, and so do some tricks(I have problems doing 'Queens' from the trilogy

Feb 28, 2008
Yea, I never thought of changing hands... But I've noticed that some flourishes quite a bit of altering to look right left handed.

It's nice to see other magicians are leftys as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results