Image by SplitImageMagic

Well the way I see the disrespect is: Lets say you create a new Car for instance. You plan on releasing your car within the next year or so. Then someone else comes and creates a car that looks just like yours but they built it by using a different method maybe and call it something different. Honestly how would you feel? Here is another thing. If its so similar why even do it? Why not create something different? On the youtube page in the about the video section it states "It looks exactly like his" so again why try to create(re-create) this effect is my question.

Dec 3, 2007
Denmark
To have a trick promoted as a VISUAL color change, I think it is pretty necessary to show what it looks like.
For all we know the spectators in the teaser could be reacting to you showing something else.... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 19, 2008
Well the way I see the disrespect is: Lets say you create a new Car for instance. You plan on releasing your car within the next year or so. Then someone else comes and creates a car that looks just like yours but they built it by using a different method maybe and call it something different. Honestly how would you feel? Here is another thing. If its so similar why even do it? Why not create something different? On the youtube page in the about the video section it states "It looks exactly like his" so again why try to create(re-create) this effect is my question.
I understand what you are saying completely but your examples are exactly what the world does. Just as your example states think of it this way a van is a van and a pickup truck is a pickup truck there are different models but many look alike. And perform in simliar ways, If you would like check around and see how many effect where either taken by one and re-created. There actually isn't many that aren't original; D+M came out with a great effect and I respect him for that. How our method came to be wasn't from his trick at all it was only the idea. So the question shouldn't be why do we do it? But why does the world do it? And to answer that question I have no idea. But the reason we have done it is because we want people to enjoy this. I hope you enjoy this but of course your not forced to purchase it when it comes out

Mar 19, 2008
To have a trick promoted as a VISUAL color change, I think it is pretty necessary to show what it looks like.
For all we know the spectators in the teaser could be reacting to you showing something else.... :p
This is why we are making another teaser that will for sure be out this weekend so you can see the change and there reactions all in one shot sorry that it came out this way but all reactions were from this trick

Oct 24, 2007
Exactly what the world does? We are the magic community, not the world. Duplicating or replicating tricks is frowned upon. Many people put out color changes, but most of them look different, and the ones that aren't different don't sell. It just seems like you're trying to jump in and steal Daniel Madison's action. Releasing an effect that "looks like his" before he releases his is cheap. There hasn't been a change that looks like Daniel Madison's, so you can't say there are other similar tricks. It's Daniel Madison's, you're trying to steal his action, that's all there is to it. I think all the respectful magicians out there will not buy your effect. And that's all I have to say on the subject.

As to the teaser, you're wrong that teasers don't show the effect. Take Prophet for instance, the teaser showed a short flash of the effect, but it didn't show everything. In order to advertise something, you must show it or frankly no one will care. Especially in the magic community, because we have no idea what you're planning to release, so we are losing interest, along with the fact that you're stealing Daniel Madison's action. Also, not trying to be disrespectful, but I have no idea who Jon Ramirez and Kellogg are. You can only make a teaser that doesn't show the effect if the magicians producing it have proven that they put out good material. Peace!

Tyler

P.S. It reminds me of when AVP (Alien vs. Predator) was coming out on DVD. All of a sudden, in the movie store, a DVD appeared titled Extra-Terrestrial vs Hunter. It was clearly a rip-off of AVP, and was trying to get some action before AVP came out. That's what it seems like you're doing, it's not called Change, it's a slightly different change because it was "inspired", but it is still riding Change's wave and is trying to take away from it.

I just CAN NOT believe you did this. You always hear people today saying
that magic is "dead". While I highly disagree, I will say it's things like this that
"kill" it.
This is truly HORRIBLE. And if you have any kind of regards for Mr. Madison.. at all, you would take this video down, and forget this whole project, then maybe make a new screen name. I don't know anyone who would buy a project from someone called "suicideboy".
Also, on the youtube comments, Daniel said "Madness." You seem to be unaware of
the fact that was NOT a complement.
He's saying it's madness you put such a sad excuse for "original magic" on youtube.
Honestly guys, you want to be REAL magicians, take this down, and use some originality.
This is in no way "new". It is a complete rip-off of dm's CHANGE.
I hate to rant so much, but this is one of the worst things I've seen on theory11.
Please, act like mature adults, and decide what would be best.
Thanks,

Calvin Lauber

Jan 4, 2008
Not DM's

Exactly. The video says INSPIRED by DM's CHANGE. This could be and probably is totally different than CHANGE. Don't attack him because you read the video wrong and misunderstood it. Waiting for this one. Good Job

Exactly. The video says INSPIRED by DM's CHANGE. This could be and probably is totally different than CHANGE. Don't attack him because you read the video wrong and misunderstood it. Waiting for this one. Good Job

Right, but the point is, that he stole the UNIQUE look to change, NO other change looked like his. It was almost like a trademark to him.
Also, I read they will be selling this for $100...
I'm sorry but no one will pay that much.
Im not attacking him, I'm telling him. He needs to take the video down, or he will
have no respect from anybody, especially me. I'm quite the fan of DMs originality, and it sucks to see someone steal that from him.

Calvin Lauber

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia

How can you honestly say you're waiting for this? You haven't even SEEN it!

It may have been inspired, but if it looks "just like it" it crosses the line from inspired to complete rip-off.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys this is SplitIMAGE Magic and we would really like to inform you all with some information that was missed. First of all, this change that we had created was inspired by Daniel Madison, we did not steal or use his change as a way to sell ourselves. Yes the change is extremely similar but just like all of you we have no idea what the real method to his trick, thus how would we be disrespecting him in any way shape or form if we are still giving him credit for our method of this trick. As many of you are saying that we used his change for ourselves, what trick have you seen out in the world that already hasn't been created and remade. Also something that we did was not showing the change which many of you have noticed and do not like but this video was only a short teaser. Many teasers dont show the trick they only show portions. So we hope you all enjoy this trick because thats all we are here to do is make effects that you all can enjoy performing. Sorry for all the inconvience but more video footage about this trick WILL be out this weekend.

Lets cut the bs here ok bud? You saw DM's Change, you reverse engineered a way to do it, and now you are planning on selling it. What you did is completely unethical, inappropriate, and disrespectful. If you want to show DM an ounce of respect you will drop this and move along.

You can work this out to suit your own fancy here whichever way you want. You can slice it up 100 ways. In the end you are ripping him off plain and simple. Ethics 101 man....seriously this isn't that difficult to understand.

--Jim

Mar 19, 2008
Letter to all- by SplitImageMagic

Hey everybody listen up, we have considered everybody's opinion and we took down our video, because it looked similar to D+m's Change.

we are making a new video (same trick) the only thing is were performing the whole trick LIVE this week-end so you can see its not like his change because you couldn't see what was going on in the last video.

I just want to say to everyone please dont assume when you dont know.
So sorry for the inconvience i guess we just presented it wrong.

P.S.
please re-consider the trick, when the vid comes out this week-end please let us know what you think. We are sorry for not being as clear as possible.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Even if it's not like his, you CLEARLY tried to sell your product with Madison's name and effect.

You say right in the video that it is based of his work, and by the way, mentioning someone's name in no way, "crediting" them means dick all if you are ripping them off and don't have their blessing, and even claim it looks just like his move.

You are, or were, based on the "first" video, trying to make money off of his effect by "beating him to the punch."

You Right Glenn and spikormikor13.

We didnt assume anything. I think you guys assumed you could post up this vid and you guys were gonna be the next Daniel Madison's lol.

I dont have to wait for the new vid of your change. I know you guys are gonna wave a card and its gonna change just like you did in this vid which is just like DMs change. I wouldnt post the new vid and I would find another effect of your own originality. That would be the best thing I could advise you or your probably just gonna keep hearing stand up people being upset about what you are doing here.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hey everybody listen up, we have considered everybody's opinion and we took down our video, because it looked similar to D+m's Change.

we are making a new video (same trick) the only thing is were performing the whole trick LIVE this week-end so you can see its not like his change because you couldn't see what was going on in the last video.

I just want to say to everyone please dont assume when you dont know.
So sorry for the inconvience i guess we just presented it wrong.

P.S.
please re-consider the trick, when the vid comes out this week-end please let us know what you think. We are sorry for not being as clear as possible.

Couple of things here:

1. Your change didn't look like anything because you never showed it to the camera.
2. No one assumed anything you stated it looked exactly like his change
3. You are making a new video of the same trick that looks exactly like his change? Or were you just lying to get people interested in your 'trick' by plugging DM's name?

Do yourself a favor, take a page out of Jon's book. If you have figured out a method for accomplishing the same exact effect as DM's change, plug DM's website into your video and direct them to the person who actually came up with the idea in the first place. Then I will re-consider you as something more than a second rate hack who passes off other magicians creations as their own.

--Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys,

There is a lot of unnecessary bashing/arguing going on in the thread. Let's keep all criticism constructive and respectful, alright? If you have a problem with the user who posted the video, or feel that it is in any way unethical you should PM that user and/or a moderator.

Thanks everyone,
TDA

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA

Too bad. Jon told me hes not going to do the project anymore.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results