Prophet - Differences that set it apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
I'm not a magician per se, I'm a cardist and I can safely say that I'm more of a lay person when it comes to magic than 99% of people on here.

Reading over all these posts, I come to conclude that Prophet is the most visual. However....I realize that the EB teaches more material and has 3X the runtime which is great. It IS in fact more bang for your buck...or is it?

I couldn't tell you, but I can tell you this...I personally prefer QUALITY over QUANTITY. If I had a choice between 5 things that looked GOOD and 1 that looked mindblowing...I would choose the one that blew people away. It's quite obvious to me...coming from a lay person's perspective... that PROPHET is the way to go.

I dont have the Extreme burn DVD nor do i have the Prophet DVD. But from what i have heard, Extremem burn teaches prophet (underground change) correct me if i am wrong. Therefore, in extreme burn you would get 1 mindblowing and 4 good tricks if you might, while in the prophet DVD u get only one mindblowing trick.
Please take note this is purely effectwise and not other factors such as production quality and teaching.

However in the end its all just a bill switch :)

Mar 17, 2008
Floridelphia
But, if you have the Prophet gimmick can you not just figure out the Extreme Burn stuff?

There is nothing special about EB pack (other than the gimmick). You should be able to replicate all the changes in EB with Prophet anyways. This is something I thought people would guess naturally, but nobody has brought it up.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
There is nothing special about EB pack (other than the gimmick). You should be able to replicate all the changes in EB with Prophet anyways. This is something I thought people would guess naturally, but nobody has brought it up.

Well then Prophet is obviously the way to go in my eyes. Even though I can't even do a bill switch with it.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
It's basically impossible for a laymen to figure out a bill switch. Extreme Burn is everything but obvious. I think this debade is pretty stupid. Instead of attempting to compare two switches that look basically identical to laymen, why don't we appreciate the advancements in this trick. Compare the classic thumb tip method to these new super visual handlings. Now thats a differerence.

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
DO NOT SAY PROPHET CAN REPLICATE EXTREME BURN. It can't. It's not possible. You keep on saying that Prophet is a FULL FACE CHANGE. That's nothing special. Hundy500, Heiny500, Handy500, Slow Burn, and Extreme Burn can be a full face change.

I am seeing John Lovick(Handsome Jack) on Monday. I will ask him his proffessional opinion, as he had been doing magic for longer than you and me combined. He is, also a master of the bill switch. For all you people who don't know him, he wrote a bok called SWITCH, which contains hundreds of bill switches and applications.

Sometimes QUANTITY is better than QUALITY. I am a table-hopper. I do that proffessionally. Lets say I am doing Prophet. I do the same change to get the bills from 1s to 100s as I do to get the bills 100s to 1s. If other tables watch me, and then I go and perform the SAME THING to them, they won't be as impressed. Why would I do the same change twice? BECAUSE PROPHET ONLY GIVES YOU ONE CHANGE.

You said an advantage to Prophet was that it is better for stand-up. Extreme Burn also has a stand-up version.

You've found a lot of things funny in this thread but the one thing that has made me laugh most reading all your replies is this fictitious superiority of Prophet.

I've got Extreme Burn and I've just finished watching Prophet.

I found Prophet to be very entertaining and the only reason I bought it was to see if there was anything extra i could use as Extreme Burn and Slow Burn have pretty much sorted me for changing one set of bills into another. Tom Isaacson has given me a good few tips to take away and I'll be working on his effect as an addition to Extreme Burn.

However...your statement that "There is nothing special about Extreme Burn," and that "you should be able to replicate all the changes in Extreme Burn with Prophet anyways," either highlights that you have some ulterior reason to put down Extreme Burn or that you don't even own it.

For if you did then you would know that Prophet could NOT replicate the changes unless it used the Extreme Burn gimmick.

But Extreme Burn can replicate the Prophet change.

I'm hating myself now, as i sound like I'm raining on Prophet's parade...which I'm not. It's a damn good effect, just get your facts straight before you go around telling people what's right and wrong.

I'm with JJJP on this.

Rabid

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
Hey Rabid, thanks for agreeing with me. Can you compare Extreme Burn and Prophet? I think it would help people pick the better choice, which obviously is Extreme Burn. What did Prophet offer that Extreme Burn did not and vise versa.

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
I asked my friend to upload a video of him performing Extreme Burn. Here, you can see that the Underground Change can look almost identical to Prophet. The second change he does is the Underground Change.

The video quality is not the greatest, but you still can see what's going on. He has great patter that justifies all of the moves he does. He changes 1s into 2s. I would make a video myself, but I have no camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulRPs59-0-Q

Sep 2, 2007
Guys,

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread, as it has become a back-and-forth argumentative discussion that is not conducive for helping anyone.

Some will like Prophet and some will like Extreme Burn -- to each his own. However, the factual differences between the two effects are explicitly mentioned on the Prophet FAQ page. Beyond that, everyone must respect each other's opinion, and, moreover, we must all respect the creators of both effects -- both of whom are brilliant and extremely innovative.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results