Trick names getting out of hand?

Is it just me, or are names of tricks getting way too bold and in some cases, gory? I mean, Kaos, Stigmata? At least Theory11 keeps it subtle. Next we'll have Vengeance, and Painful. Anyone with me?

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Is it just me, or are names of tricks getting way too bold and in some cases, gory? I mean, Kaos, Stigmata? At least Theory11 keeps it subtle. Next we'll have Vengeance, and Painful. Anyone with me?

There was a thread about this not too long ago.

I totally agree with you, that Kaos and Stigmata are ridiculous names, but I disagree on that Theory11 keeps it subtle. Prophet? Panic? Marketing...

EDIT: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=5816&highlight=magic+trick+names+are+weird

I agree 110%, next thing you know we'll be seeing tricks named after songs and books... who knows, the list of shameful name-ripoffs is endless...

*Edit* I don't mind stigmata as a name because it's bold and stands out, but if I ever see a trick named oh I dunno... "Bohemian Rhapsody" for example, then I wouldn't be happy. You agree Tumbleweed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
There's nothing wrong with using powerful or interesting names for effects, You want your effect to be on everyones lips so you put time and effort into coming up with a powerful, solid, catchy title which has at least SOME relevance to the effect it describes.

Stigmata for instance - when I heard about stigmata I sought it out straight away as it sounded very cool, and then the effect, which the name represents perfectly, seemed awesome also.

Stigmata is the appearance of the wounds of christ on the subjects body, often relevant to the persons religious belief. The trick stigmata is the appearance of essentially wounds on the body relevant to the spectator's thought of card/word/etc.

I'm aware that there are lots of effect names out there which don't really represent the effect in essence, but are powerful titles all the same, which I feel having a background in corporate l marketing, can be just as valid as those that are representative of the product.

Just my 2c on a subject that has been brought up over and over!

In the end a title is something designed to create a hook to the product and to make you pick up and have a look at the back of the DVD or check out the site - When you see awesome cover graphics and a cool name it makes you want to check out the trick, or the movie, or whatever else.

In the end it's the content that counts, but having a good identity is a sure fire way to get people looking it up and talking about your product.

Cheers, D.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
In the end a title is something designed to create a hook to the product and to make you pick up and have a look at the back of the DVD or check out the site - When you see awesome cover graphics and a cool name it makes you want to check out the trick, or the movie, or whatever else.

That's what upsets me. That works with movies, as movies are marketed to everyone. Why are magic effects marketed the same way? Magicians are a small group. Also, an effect that needs marketing isn't probably that good.

Think about it. Movies are marketed like that because they compete with each other. Are magic effects competing with each other? At the moment, Magic Companies are competing against each other, and they are competing about customers, and those customers are beginners.

I believe this is one of the biggest problems in magic nowdays.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Having worked in a few magic shops, I have seen the oddest names for magic effects. Problem is, some of these things need names because it's hard to call something "That one card trick where the thing moves around with the stuff".

Problem is some guys think they are being cute.. and they're not. However, it's entirely up to the creator. Nothing much you can do about it... except make yer own effect and see if you can make the next memorable moniker.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I disagree with earlier comments about the name "Prophet". It's got everything to do with the trick! It's simply a different way of spelling "Profit" - which is very money related.
And I also agree with the name Stigmata, that has everything to do with the trick.

However, tricks like Indecent, Kaos, Witness and Panic have nothing to do with the tricks, no, but I quite like the big, dramatic names, even if they are completely irrelevant.

Sep 1, 2007
an effect that needs marketing isn't probably that good.

Well said.

It would be cool if someone would explain some of these names and how they are related to the actual effect. For example, was Deuce Bag's name changed to Witness because it would've looked funny in an image with Lee Asher's dramatic pose and the title next to him stating "Deuce Bag".

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

I don't see why it matters. I think that if these tricks are pretty good, or at least powerful for the spectator; I think that the "powerful" effect needs a more or less powerful name.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Aside from us, the consumers, what does it really matter what a trick is called? Unless you are going up to your spectators and naming the effects you are performing it really doesn't make a bit of difference if they call it Panic or Cheesecake Deluxe. Half the time the name has no relevance whatsoever to the actual effect being performed.

--Jim

Also, an effect that needs marketing isn't probably that good.

I don't mean to sound harsh...but this statement was a joke...right?

If an effect isn't marketed...then you wouldn't know about it, and therefore you wouldn't be able to buy it. Because you wouldn't know it existed. Because it wasn't marketed. Period

Think about it. Movies are marketed like that because they compete with each other. Are magic effects competing with each other?

Yes...magic effects are competing with each other.
How could they not be??

At the moment, Magic Companies are competing against each other, and they are competing about customers, and those customers are beginners.

So the only customers worth competing over...are beginners?
What an odd thing to say.
I'd have suspected that magic companies are competing over anyone who would be willing to buy their products...the same as any other business that sells a product to make profit. That the businesses in question are Magic related is irrelevant. They're still businesses.

I believe this is one of the biggest problems in magic nowdays.

Huh?

One of the biggest problems in magic today is that the creators / publishers give their effects a marketable name and sell them?

Like I said at the outset...I don't mean to be harsh, but that entire post was just another example of jumping on a bandwagon. What has the name of a trick got to do with anything?

At all??

And if it wasn't marketed for sale...how would you get hold of it??

Rabid

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I don't mean to sound harsh...but this statement was a joke...right?

It wasn't a joke, although I exaggerated. I mean that magic effects shouldn't need flashy names to sell, or a huge hype behind it.

So the only customers worth competing over...are beginners?
What an odd thing to say.
There was a poll recently here that showed that most of the community here at Theory11 have been into magic for a couple of years only. Majority of those who buy products from T11 or E are beginners. Professionals don't buy every new effect that comes out from Theory11. Those who buy, are almost always beginners
I'd have suspected that magic companies are competing over anyone who would be willing to buy their products...the same as any other business that sells a product to make profit. That the businesses in question are Magic related is irrelevant. They're still businesses.

That's the problem from my point of view. They are businesses trying to make profit.

One of the biggest problems in magic today is that the creators / publishers give their effects a marketable name and sell them?
Or course I didn't mean names. I meant the whole business aspect of releasing effects.

What has the name of a trick got to do with anything?
It's a perfect example of magic businesses methods of selling. Cool effects, with cool names, you get huge reactions with these effects, you are cool if you do these.

And if it wasn't marketed for sale...how would you get hold of it??
Of course there has to be some information around about the effect, I agree. My point wasn't that there shouldn't be marketing at all, but that there shouldn't be this kind of marketing we see at the moment.

Of course I exaggerate and I hope I didn't insult anybody.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results