Fanning Powder?

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm Sweden
Hello all!
I have been doing Card magic for about 8-9 months now and i have just resently bought Trilogy and The System.
I have even bought faning powder. And here is where my questions comes in.
Do all of you use faning powder or is this just a bogus thing?
Please keep in mind that i just started in XCM.

Thank you for your replies :D

Hey dude when i started using fanning powder i really liked it.
But later on i started to hate it, becaus eof your sweaty hands blac kdots will come on the cards etc.

Just use a new deck, if it had it's best time open a new deck.

That's the reason deck are made :D !!

I use it, I like it. I wouldn't say it will impede your flourishing skills tremendously, it does cause the packets to stay together slightly longer when you are doing cuts, which is a plus point.

Otherwise, never mix powder and card magic, they will ruin your sleights.

=)

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i agree with the prvious posts: fanning powder is a good thing, because it lets you do great fans and makes the packets stay more together when doing cuts.
on the other hand it's a bad thing because the cards are ruined faster if they have reached a certain level, where they have absorbed moisture and dirt there's hardly anything you can do to get them smooth again, except powdering them again, but that will only last for a couple of days at most.
i have to say when i started flourishing (which was not even 6 months ago) i also thought fanning powder was the real deal, but as been said before, new decks are much better! anyway, the best deck i currently have is a black tiger, and here's what i did: i powdered it, made sure to remove all the excess powder, put it in a drawer and forgot about it. when i found it about 3 months later, i found out that it was the best deck i ever used!
anyway, i guess it's up to you to decide wheather to use fanning powder or not, but i wouldn't recommend it.
finally i have to say NEVER use fanning powder when you want to do magic!

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
as mentioned it doesnt mix well with water or sweat for that matter, try use powdered deck only for performance while practise with a clean one.

Sep 3, 2007
New Jersey
I personally have also never used fanning powder. I think that it can give you advantages but in my opinion it isn't worth it. I would rather rely on my skills than to put my trust and become dependant on fanning powder.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't like to use fanning powder, I don't like that it makes the moves easier (I like being able to do moves both with AND without powder), and it bothers my nose. :)

-Vince

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
doesn't one container of fanning powder last a lifetime?

i use it and like it since it doesn't make your cards more slippery to fan, but make them spread evenly, so it's not as though it takes no skill to do proper fans.

to each his own i guess. :D

doesn't one container of fanning powder last a lifetime?

i use it and like it since it doesn't make your cards more slippery to fan, but make them spread evenly, so it's not as though it takes no skill to do proper fans.

to each his own i guess. :D

Last time I checked... spreading evenly was the hard bit about fanning :p

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I love the feel, the smell, the smoothness and the crispness of a new deck. Fanning powder takes time to get used to, and you could spend that time working on fanning with a fresh deck. When you powder the cards they lose their smoothness and stick, which is how it works, but i don't like that. I don't wanna have to switch decks if i wanna do magic or flourishes i just like to mess around with the cards.
there's my views and opinions

J4

Sep 1, 2007
Overall, fanning powder helps but I just don't like the feel of the cards after I've applied it.

-Brundo

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results