Performance Trouble

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I was performing yesterday at school, and was doing a couple of double lifts while doing ACR and 2CM and my friend was just trying to figure out how to do it. He said, "Oh is that one or 2 cards", or "No, that's not my card that you put in the middle i know that." When you all perform, what do you do to prevent that from happening or a way to deal with the problem.

Anthony

Sep 8, 2007
www.youtube.com
Heres 3 things you can do about that:

1. Dont perform for that person. if they show up, ignore them. Do NOT involve them at all

2. PRACTICE!!!!!! Your moves arent as smooth or natural looking. Practice them more and your patter.

3. If he starts to do this crap, single him out in the middle of the routine. Say something like, "Dude, if you are so smart, then (hand the cards to him) then you try to do this

Hope this helped! Dont worry! Just keep performing and gaining performing expierence. Soon, youll be able to handle these kind of people with ease.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Heres 3 things you can do about that:

1. Dont perform for that person. if they show up, ignore them. Do NOT involve them at all

2. PRACTICE!!!!!! Your moves arent as smooth or natural looking. Practice them more and your patter.

3. If he starts to do this crap, single him out in the middle of the routine. Say something like, "Dude, if you are so smart, then (hand the cards to him) then you try to do this

Hope this helped! Dont worry! Just keep performing and gaining performing expierence. Soon, youll be able to handle these kind of people with ease.

I like the third one a lot, and i'm working on the #2, I probably will not ignore him cause that is pretty rude to me if they want to see a trick and I don't talk with them and stuff. But helped a lot thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
I like the third one a lot, and i'm working on the #2, I probably will not ignore him cause that is pretty rude to me if they want to see a trick and I don't talk with them and stuff. But helped a lot thanks.

Well bro he is being rude to you by giving you crap. I usually do not perform for people like that. I had one bad experience and that taught me a lesson. If he says: "do a trick for me" you say "no, I know you don't want to enjoy it, you want to TRY to figure it out and ruin the entertainment for everyone else."
If another person approaches you and tells you they want to see a trick and the one dude is there tell them straight up: "sorry guys, I want to perform some magic for you but our friend here likes to try to give away the secrets. If you catch me when he is not around I will be glad to perform some things for you."

Is that rude? Perhaps, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Juan

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
1. ask to borrow a dollar bill from him and vanish with a thumb tip and drop the tip into ur pocket he will probably know how it is done but you have just made a buck from him.

2. do a trick thats almost impossible to mess up (strange travelers) and leave him dumb founded

3. use ur magic skills to steal his girlfriend (but be prepared to pay the price if you cant beat him in a fight.)

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
1. ask to borrow a dollar bill from him and vanish with a thumb tip and drop the tip into ur pocket he will probably know how it is done but you have just made a buck from him.

2. do a trick thats almost impossible to mess up (strange travelers) and leave him dumb founded

3. use ur magic skills to steal his girlfriend (but be prepared to pay the price if you cant beat him in a fight.)

Third one is PERFECT! The second one would work nicely.

Feb 21, 2008
I would like to point out that if you expose the method to your spectators due to some crappy handling and technique, it's not their fault. It's a natural (not rude) reaction for a layperson to react when they see how a trick is accomplished and you can't blame anyone else than you. I state that it's idiotic, arrogant and childish to punish your spectator for your faults.

To solve your problem I would say you need more practice and maybe if you have practiced enought and this happens by accident, make a joke and then use another methods for making the card to rise to the top.

Oct 18, 2007
Don't perform if it isn't fun. =]

To deal with the problem of hecklers just don't perform for them. Or if you're a masochist you can throw in a billion convincers that will fry their minds, but even then the best reaction you're going to get isn't going to make you feel any better because it will not be a good reaction.

When performing becomes the person trying to figure out a puzzle and you struggling to stop them, it's something that sucks the life out of the art.

First things first being a performer you must understand that you can never avoid hecklers there will always be many out there and you really don't know which are going to be hecklers until you perform for them. I know it sucks but take all the advice other people gave you because its all pretty good. The main thing i do is act confused say "what are you talking about" and trick em that way. But otherwise if you want to be kind of funny (if you get a small crowd around you) i know this may sound rude but i guarentee they will be quite lol..... You say "Hey do i come to your job and tell you how to flip burgers?" lol or you can say this one is risky so i dont recommend it unless you kind of friendly with the other people but the one guy is being rude you can say "hey sir do you have a hemroid" he hopefully will say no with a confused face so then you say "hey look everyone a perfect a**hole" laugh then continue on with your trick...........hope i helped man i know those people can really bring down your confidence but dont ever get discouraged just keep practicing <- key thing:D

Oct 6, 2007
Wow. A 'magic-realted thread' turned into one which gave advice on how to insult people. Just shows the maturity and experience of people around here.

I'd agree with the one and only out of maybe 15 responses on this thread.

Why are you blaming your spectator for being a heckler? Sure, he's maybe more alert or 'harsh' on you than other people, but as a magician shouldn't you be abler to perform under any circumstance?

I'm not saying that hecklers are easy to get by, because they're not. But don't blame a spectator for being a heckler.

THe only person you can blame, is yourself. Its your fault for not practising enough. IF you had done your homework, (practise), then you would've never gotten caught during a double. PRACTISE, and then, PRACTISE and oh yeah, PRACTISE.

Dec 5, 2007
Seriously? Do you people really think you should be rude to people? If he did see how you did the trick he have all the right in the world to say so.

You should NEVER be rude to your spectators even if they are.

Work more on your moves, and its great to have an "out" in an ACR, you can either learn the pass, or do a move where you can do it face up, like shifty, another cheaper alternative is to do the marlo tilt faced up and just do a color change.

Feb 21, 2008
Now this topic is going where it should be. Read my previous comment, and read carefully what darosa.justin and fridoliina said above me.

many of you should read to how i put what i suggested before speaking i said when you feel confortable with your crowd and everyone is on your side by saying he is being an ass, not like just treat your spectators rude cuz you are only dishing people back for how they are treating you....because there are people that dont want to enjoy magic they only want to figure it out and even if they are not sure about it they will say anything that could be logical

Jan 11, 2008
New york
many of you should read to how i put what i suggested before speaking i said when you feel confortable with your crowd and everyone is on your side by saying he is being an ass, not like just treat your spectators rude cuz you are only dishing people back for how they are treating you....because there are people that dont want to enjoy magic they only want to figure it out and even if they are not sure about it they will say anything that could be logical

Dissing is the slang term for disrespect not dish... and I say that with love.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results