Raise Rise vs. Shifty vs. Elevator Card

Sep 15, 2007
I would say Shifty.
Elevator Card is a Gaff thing ...not impromptu.
Raise Rise is not that good at least in my opinion. I tried it on a few people to get unbiased non magician opinions and they liked Shifty better.
Shifty has served me and many other magicians well over the last 13 or so years. The method is time tested and audeinces seem to like it when I perform it.
Snorri

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well, if you are talking about Shigeo Futagawa's Elevator Card, then I have to go with that. Shifty is next in line.

I don't know the method to Raise Rise, but from what I can tell it is very difficult.

David

Feb 28, 2008
Is Fallen not good enough to get a mention on here? I've been torn between Shifty and Fallen for a little while now.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
but if i showed a video of each to a laymen, raise rise looks the best hands down... but for practicality and real life situations, shifty...

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Difficulty shouldn't be a factor when trying to find a best possible techinque.

Fallen isn't worth the cost of a deck of playing cards used to perform it. It's an insult to Ambitious Card plot.

Oct 19, 2007
Well, in Shifty and Elevator you can sign the card, show it face-up etc.
And both are fairly easy. It may have sound-issues though. Raise Rise is a little hard, you can't show the card, but it's far more visual, AND it's one-handed.

I'll let you decide, but I would pick Ray's Rise...

I would say Shifty.
Elevator Card is a Gaff thing ...not impromptu.
Raise Rise is not that good at least in my opinion. I tried it on a few people to get unbiased non magician opinions and they liked Shifty better.
Shifty has served me and many other magicians well over the last 13 or so years. The method is time tested and audeinces seem to like it when I perform it.
Snorri

Well, in Shifty and Elevator you can sign the card, show it face-up etc.
And both are fairly easy. It may have sound-issues though. Raise Rise is a little hard, you can't show the card, but it's far more visual, AND it's one-handed.

I'll let you decide, but I would pick Ray's Rise...

I'm talking about Shiego Futagawa's Elevator Card.

I don't really care about how hard it is to perform. Laymen don't see that aspect of it. Anyway, I can already do the A.R.M for the usage of this trick.

Mar 31, 2008
Missouri.
I'll make this my 2nd post here on T11 :)

I'll say that Elevator is probably the easiest impromptu rising card. Ever. It's quite hard to find the actual notes to learn it, but if you watch a good performance of it, and actually try to work out a handling, you'll find it's not that hard to accomplish. It does NOT use a gaff of any kind.

Raise Rise is considered to be one of the most difficult effects in card magic. But don't let that scare you away from it! There's a really good sleight used in raise rise, called the Ambitious Riser Move which can be applied to alot of things, such as color changes, card controls, ACR phases.. the list goes on.

Hope this helped. :)

Oct 31, 2007
Difficulty shouldn't be a factor when trying to find a best possible techinque.

Fallen isn't worth the cost of a deck of playing cards used to perform it. It's an insult to Ambitious Card plot.

I agree with ya on both of those.

Fallen... enough said.

If you pick your tricks based on "they are too hard" you might want to rethink the whole card magic thing. That's what practice is all about. No one would get anywhere if they didn't do anything that challenged them. Magic would suck if that were the case.

In my opinion, shifty is the best. That is MY opinion though. Study the ones that interest you the most and see which one is most pleasing to you. The more pleased you are with the way an effect looks from the spectators view, the more pleased you will be performing it for them!

Hoped that helped, sorry for any negativity. Just go with what you like and it will work out for the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2007
Finland
If you pick your tricks based on "they are too hard" you might want to rethink the whole card magic thing. That's what practice is all about. No one would get anywhere if they didn't do anything that challenged them. Magic would suck if that were the case.

As Dai Vernon said

"If people cannot derive pleasure and satisfaction from practise and are not prepared to expend the time and thought and enery required because they find it irksome, then magic is not for them-they should turn to a different hobby."

I'll make this my 2nd post here on T11 :)

I'll say that Elevator is probably the easiest impromptu rising card. Ever. It's quite hard to find the actual notes to learn it, but if you watch a good performance of it, and actually try to work out a handling, you'll find it's not that hard to accomplish. It does NOT use a gaff of any kind.

Raise Rise is considered to be one of the most difficult effects in card magic. But don't let that scare you away from it! There's a really good sleight used in raise rise, called the Ambitious Riser Move which can be applied to alot of things, such as color changes, card controls, ACR phases.. the list goes on.

Hope this helped. :)

Read my other post on page 1.

:D

May 24, 2008
I really hate fallen, the angles suck, and the clean up is so effing bad as well as the method. W/e u do, dont get fallen

Sep 1, 2007
I feel like the fact that Raise Rise being one handed doesn't make too much of a difference to a spectator. Their cards is put into the center and it rises slowly to the top a few cards at a time, that's all they're going to remember. I don't think the "cool factor" of it being one handed, and the extra difficulty involved make it more impressive or worthy of your attention than Shifty or Elevator.

I'm not familiar with the method of Elevator, so I can't comment on the difficulty of it, but Shifty is extremely easy to do (and can be done with the deck in standard position, just like Elevator, with slight modifications). As for the difference between Shifty and Raise Rise, I think the fact that the card is face-up when you do Shifty makes it all the more impressive and impossible. The card can't be shown during the Raise Rise routine.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
Raise Rise along with a few other effects on Ray Kosby's DVD uses the Ambitious riser move which is extremely difficult and in my opinion not worth the practice. Believe it or not, witnessing a card slowly go up through a deck isn't as amazing to laymen as magicians might think.

Sep 1, 2007
I'd rather make the card rise face UP with two hands than rise face DOWN with one hand. The fact that is it 100% their card is far more impressive to laymen, in my opinion, than the fact that you are really skilled at sleight of hand and can do it with only one hand. Frankly, I don't think they care, or would even notice

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results