Have you ever . . .

Have you ever . . .

• Downloaded a magic video, or file, "illegaly?"

Votes: 65 59.6%
  • Accepted, or made, a copy of a magic video?

Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Exchanged one secret for another?

Votes: 43 39.4%
  • Told a fellow magician how an effect was done?

Votes: 84 77.1%
  • Learnt a marketed (on video, or in print) effect from a fellow magician?

Votes: 65 59.6%
  • Discussed an effect, method, or move, with a fellow magician?

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Downloaded a movie?

Votes: 61 56.0%
  • Accepted, or made, a copy of a movie?

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • Downloaded a song?

Votes: 89 81.7%
  • Made a copy of a song, or cd, for someone else?

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
UK
"Discussed an effect, method, or move, with a fellow magician?"

I don't see any problems with this one, as long as it's friends and not some random people over the internet.

Huruey

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
I downloaded at least 100GB of magic over the past 2 years.
I stopped ever since Angel went down,(thanks CRIA!) and got rid of most of the the material.
From my experience, I've learned that I tend to perform only the tricks I purchase legally. And the ones which I get illegally didn't mean much to me no matter how bad they fooled me.

Mar 29, 2008
Hey 2nd Deal -

It's not that we have NOTHING BUT the method or our secrets - just as a piano player JUST has a piano - but without the secrets, or without keys on a piano, what do we have? Our art relies on fooling people - it is our foundation - what you build on top of that is your choice. However, if you do not fool first, then you are not doing magic.

What we add to that is presentation, timing, personality, etc - thanks for allowing me to clarify.

Dec 5, 2007
What people dont really understand is that people who are downloading or learning magic from youtube are hurting themselfs.

Most magicians that are selling material today have already made a name for themselfs among young magicians and they can release whatever they want and people will still buy it becaus of the creators name on it. So why would they release some of their best work? I dont think they will in the future.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I agree with most of the post's, but i just cant stand when someone says "dont download effects illegal, think about the creators of those effects"...

I mean, did you see Chris Kenner's house? Did you see those suit's in every W:H video? Did you read about Aaron Fisher's trip around the world? What do you think, how much money does D&D has?

They are all pretty rich people, and they won't die of hunger if some teenage kid download their effect's for free. And if only income of those proffesional magicians are from selling effect's over the internet, they will still live a long and happy life, cause there will allways be alot of people who will buy their effect's for various reasons...

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Ok, so the real motivation behind this thread was to hopefully get people to start to wonder, 'Hey, what is the difference between downloading an effect, and learning it from my pal at the local meeting jam session?'

In no way meant to try to justify the downloading, but rather, to re-think some of the wonderful sliding scales we seem to use with regards to ethics ;)

Sep 5, 2007
Cyprus
it would be interesting to see some of the theory11 artists comment the results of this poll and the several views posted

Mar 29, 2008
VERY few magicians are making a very good living off the magic they sell - they have to hussle for every dollar. In close-up, I challenge you to name more than 5 guys that are making a good living off their stuff.

Most guys go in the hole to publish a book, put out DVD's, or take a less expensive route...that still gets scanned or turned into a PDF and given away for free. This isn't the music industry pal - less customers, less money.

How many magicians in the world - a million? How many people listen to music? Get the point? Smaller market - ripping DVD's and not giving back hurts.

If 1% of both markets download for free and don't pay it back somehow, the loss may be less in dollars, but has a larger impact.

Think about it.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I don't remember if it was brought up already, but I just noticed that I did not have an "I have never downloaded anything" and/or an "I have never given, or recieved, or traded a magic secret with another magician who (that i) did not invent said secret."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results