Controlling Myself

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I got bored and decided to watch some of the videos that were posted in the media section, and soon ran back into the intro clip in the homepage and the clip in the "Just Beginning" section.

I'm wanting to embrace the advice that Lee Asher gave to us explaining the difference between a pro magician and an amatuer magician is a pro does 3 great peices of magic, and an amatuer does zillions, but none of which are done well.

I admit, when I first started off learning magic I went and did what most newbies do...they go online and buy up every single DVD that your bank account can handle.

In wanting to discipline myself better I need all of your help in aiding me to narrow down what I have, and what are the best to actually learn. I realize that some of the effects I bought, I probably will never use. However, I want to start off strong, and end stronger.

- Stigmata (This is the only one I'm sure of using)
- Indecent
- KAOS
- Silver Dream
- Box Monster
- 3 set LOOPS DVD
- CC1 & 2
- Mercury (I very much regret this purchase, no offense)
- Mind Bender
- Kard Klub
- Infusion
- Saw
- Criss Angel Self Leviation (I regret this one too)
- Inside Magic
- Revolution

As you can see...I simply overwhelmed myself...

I'm not sure what to specialize in or if I even should decide to specialize on anything. If I did, however, I would most likely choose cards due to my experience with them.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Shane K.

Sep 3, 2007
Ok well if your into cards then dont buy single tricks...wouldnt you feel so much more powerful perfroming with just one piece of equpiment that costs $3?

Sure stigmata is a great trick but to come to respect and understand magic you should read. If you consider yourself an experienced card handler then try The paper engine..i strongly recommend this book its amazing stuff in here that will broaden your mind and make you see there hundreds of pre opened doors in magic that people just dont look for any more. Pick up The card magic of le paul and you'll be practising for months even years but the satifaction for youself and for your spectators is undeniable. Take the time and respect to learn and practise some of the greatest moves in card magic. Then you can perform 3 card miracles like a profession performer...not just 3 gaffed or gimmicked props that any kid could buy. Look further and deeper into magic to truly respect the art. Thats what theory 11 is all about.

Peace, The Dude

Sep 1, 2007
I would pick the tricks your self, just find the tricks you like to perform, and makes sure they flow together some sort of way, and start crossing tricks off until your left with 3.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
This is sounding good so far. I'll check out those books, and I suppose it's time to really get down to the nitty gritty. I'm going to have to build a better sense of flow.

Thanks,

Shane K.

krash its normal, all magicians buy stuff they don;t use. personally i do this on purpose somtimes. 75% of the stuff i buy is for my own amusment, just for me to play around with, maybe learn a thing or two, this becomes appartent with my joe porper prop spending spree iv had recently ...lol i just enjoy toying with the apperatus

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Heh, Don't feel bad. I literally purchased a Rocky Raccoon spring animal like the one David Williamson uses. I doubt I'll actually perform with it, though I would like to incorperate it somehow. I'm also looking forward to learn some things with Flash paper.

Shane K.

For all of you don't know about Rocky Raccoon. Check this out...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gCzTYrnOg-8

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
You're off to a good start. Most magicians never learn to be selective or even how to select tricks.

The best place to with a filter for selecting material is to figure out what impression you want your spectators to get from your performance.
For example, if you want to give the impression of extreme skill, you might look at gambling routines, ace productions, maybe copper/silver transpositions, some flourishes.

Once you have a list of material that fits that criteria, ask yourself what you enjoy performing. I've met so many magicians who perform tricks they hate, just because, they claim "the trick gets a good reaction." If you don't like a trick, there's so many great tricks out there that will get equally stellar reactions that there's no reason to ever just "settle" for doing something.

Once you've narrowed the list down this far, ask if you think you could pull it off. For example, it may not be believable for most teenagers to pull off gambling demonstrations seriously. Take advantage of your own naturally abilities as a performer.

The final, and most important filter (which I call the framework statement) is this, and literally could take the place of every other filter if you completely understand it is:

"I want to perform _________ so that the audience __________ ."

The first blank is what specific (the more specific the better) impression you want to convey is and the second is what effect you want that to have on the audience. Now every trick you do and everything you say should fit this criteria.
If even one line takes away from this framework, you should ditch it.

Tricks are only a vehicle to convey a larger impression. Everything in the performance either adds to or takes away from that impression.

Most magicians, even well-known professionals, fail to convey any sense of an overarching idea in their performances; and I think the reason is simple: they don't have one. If you do, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of 99% of other magicians.

The final, and most important filter (which I call the framework statement) is this, and literally could take the place of every other filter if you completely understand it is:

"I want to perform _________ so that the audience __________ ."

After reading that I think that's some of the best advice someone could give you. It's all about what YOUR good at and what you want to do. If your good at cards and sleights and want to get more skilled than obviously something that involves cards. But, if I were you just look through the stuff you have (The Performances) and if something catches your eye which YOU think is amazing, and you may even have been fooled ;), then take the time to learn it. Just take your time and make sure you can perform something to your liking. It's all about what you want to do.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Aaron,

Thank you so much for your insight. This has definatly helped me in thinking of what type of path I intend to walk. I don't think that I could ever buy a trick that I didn't like soley for the reactions. You lose a certain connection with the audience if you are only half heartedly executing the routine.

If I've learned anything over the past year, it's that our art isn't just a hobby, it's not just a way to amaze and do the impossible. But, it's a way to communicate and connect with other people. Stripping your spectators of every layer of rationality leaving them in awe.

Thanks again,

Shane K.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results