Science or Reality?

Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin
So Today was my first day of school. And I get into Physics thinking its going to be boring. Boy was I wrong. He brought up a few questions for us that completely related to magic. You guys could find a use for this in routines or just your outlook on magic. Here are the questions he presented to us.

1.What is Reality?

2.What is Science?

3.Is science reality?

These are some awesome questions.

My thoughts are this. And would work perfectly for some routines. Reality is what we don't pay attention to. We pass by reality each day because it already exist. We don't think about reality because its happening in the moment. Reality is something that we grow a custom to. We just have to believe its true because it works and we don't question why it works. Reality are the things we accept to be true, we never question anything about it or why its there, we just except it.

Science is the complete opposite. Science is what we can grasp our hands onto. Theres no one set answer on something. Science is what we don't except to be true because we cant fine and answer. We are taught that in order for something to be real, it needs an answer, with science there is never an exact answer, there are trials and errors that try to arrive at an answer but never do land foot on a single specific answer. We believe everything has an answer and everything has to be explained, its just the way our mind works, so science exist because we are constantly looking to find the answers even though we know it will never happen.

I don't believe Science is a Reality, I believe it is only theories, to an extent. We can believe what we want to believe, How do we know things exist if we cant see them? We want the answers, but I believe that you don't have to see something in order to believe its there. At the same time science is made up of theories where there could be several ways to accomplish something but to the human eye all the accomplishments look the same. Take your theory and believe of it what you will. We only believe because we are told.

I thought this completely relates to the magic community and why we are performing. what it is that fools our audience about our craft. This is why people cant wrap their heads around what we do. They are so use to experiencing reality and everything is excepted, but as soon as they witness a magic trick, they completely transfer to the science category. And they end up asking themselves question number 3.

What do you guys think?

-Tim Olsen

Sep 1, 2007
great post tim. yea this thread is pretty interesting.

reality vs. science

science - the study of the natural world
reality - everything that exist

but what could exist? if you can't see something does it exist?

idk. this is making my head hurt

Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin

reality vs. science

yea my head was hurting too at the end of class. but it completely relates to magic. so I had to share it.

Sep 1, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
So Today was my first day of school. And I get into Physics thinking its going to be boring. Boy was I wrong. He brought up a few questions for us that completely related to magic. You guys could find a use for this in routines or just your outlook on magic. Here are the questions he presented to us.

1.What is Reality?

2.What is Science?

3.Is science reality?

These are some awesome questions.

My thoughts are this. And would work perfectly for some routines. Reality is what we don't pay attention to. We pass by reality each day because it already exist. We don't think about reality because its happening in the moment. Reality is something that we grow a custom to. We just have to believe its true because it works and we don't question why it works. Reality are the things we accept to be true, we never question anything about it or why its there, we just except it.

Science is the complete opposite. Science is what we can grasp our hands onto. Theres no one set answer on something. Science is what we don't except to be true because we cant fine and answer. We are taught that in order for something to be real, it needs an answer, with science there is never an exact answer, there are trials and errors that try to arrive at an answer but never do land foot on a single specific answer. We believe everything has an answer and everything has to be explained, its just the way our mind works, so science exist because we are constantly looking to find the answers even though we know it will never happen.

I don't believe Science is a Reality, I believe it is only theories, to an extent. We can believe what we want to believe, How do we know things exist if we cant see them? We want the answers, but I believe that you don't have to see something in order to believe its there. At the same time science is made up of theories where there could be several ways to accomplish something but to the human eye all the accomplishments look the same. Take your theory and believe of it what you will. We only believe because we are told.

I thought this completely relates to the magic community and why we are performing. what it is that fools our audience about our craft. This is why people cant wrap their heads around what we do. They are so use to experiencing reality and everything is excepted, but as soon as they witness a magic trick, they completely transfer to the science category. And they end up asking themselves question number 3.

What do you guys think?

-Tim Olsen

I love Science, Physics, Astronomy, and Mathematics. I study it as much as I can.

I can tell you your teacher is setting you up for a world of headaches. This is such a broad topic. It mixes into the scientific world, philosophical world, so much. There is always so much debate over questions such as these. I can tell you that people along with scientists question reality all the time. If you have not discussed this deeply in class yet, you will have some fun.
Think about Aristotle and Ptolemy. And Darwin, there is alot there you would probably find interesting with these guys.
You should look into Dark Matter :)

reality vs. science

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I'm going to be getting into in school, which sucks but, great post there. There's so many things you can say and do in this topic. But your right magic does fit right in. Bceause what your doing is "bending" reality into something which science defines as impossible. Yet it has actually happened. Ughh Its making my head hurt as well.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin
So today we continued the discussion and the whole time in class I kept thinking (in terms of the art of magic) in my head. It was really interesting to hear peoples opinions in my class. people were saying stuff like reality is what you see. There is only one way of making something happen.

I was thinking as a magician would. the teacher not knowing I'm a magician. I was thinking about doing like an impromptu trick that would fit the situation to completely though everyone off guard which would of been cool. BUT i did end up stumping the teacher with some of my thoughts. he had no idea how to answer. it was kind of cool to turn the tables for a minute everyone loved it.

Everyones head including mine by the end of class was hurting. Imagine if I was to perform something. I still wonder in the back of my head what he would of done if I were to perform something.

-Tim Olsen

Sep 1, 2007
I actually use science for some routines, like a coin routine

when the coin vanishes forever at the end, I use ultrasmoke, so what I end up saying is " you know solid is the state of molecules not moving at all, meaning it's in a cool temperature. But if you heat it up, the molecules start moving, get it to the right heat, and it'll change to liquid... get it even hotter and it changes to gas. (where I use ultrasmoke to vanish the coin)

~Beans

I have been in school for about 3 weeks and everyday my Philosophy class leaves me completely and utterly brain-dead.

There a lot of opinions on reality and truth. I get into philosophical arguements with my friend all the time, because we're both magicians and we both have different opinions on routines and philosophies. And I believe they tie together directly. An arguement about philosophy is when both sides contribute information that is wrestled around until a truth is found, or at least another question that needs debating that will bring you closer to truth. It's kind of a never ending cycle because people spend their whole lives searching for the truth, so, as Sartre would say, don't bother searching for it. Haha.

In magic though, it really depends on the performer how well a routine works. What works for me might not work well with my friend because of his personality, handlings etc...

Those are the kind of things we fight about, even though we shouldn't and know there's no point.

The idea of finding a reality though is confusing, because what is reality to us isn't reality to another. We do magic, and know the art and how it works with the misdirection and the beautiful psychology... Whereas some laymen truely find a reality in believing we have special powers. Who's reality is more true?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results