Card Care Guide; by: Travis

Aug 31, 2007
Maine, USA
Some of you have seen the guide from KildrinMagician over at thecuso.info, or at dananddave that I reposted. I figured I'd take the time to post some of my tips / my own guide here.

How to break in a new deck of cards;
Some of you may know, that when you open up a new pack of cards, whether it be bicycles, tally-hos, bees, etc. They feel great but they are so stiff and the edges are rough. I'll share my way of breaking in a deck of cards, and still having the NEW feel.

1. I was browsing through the forum on dnd, and found a post by somebody who happened to attend one of dan and dave's lectures. DnD taught how to sand the edges of the cards of a brand new deck to smooth the edges. How you do this ( or how I do ): grip the deck in biddle grip, turn your hand so the right long edge of the cards are parallel to the floor. Instead of having your index curls on back, put it on the left long edge. Get some jeans on, and press the deck down onto your jeans, begin to rub back and fourth. Do this untill you can tell a huge difference from the NEW side and from the SANDED side. Do this on all sides, and you can even do the edges.

2. Riffle shuffle the deck 20 times in total, 10 times face up, 10 times face down, every other time. Meaning; facedown, faceup, facedown, faceup, facedown, etc.

3. Spring the cards the with your fingers on the short side ( a normal spring ) 10 times faceup, and 10 times facedown, again following the pattern in step 1.

4. Spring your cards again, only holding the deck on the long edges, instead of the normal spring ( short edges ). Do this as told in step 3 only using the grip explained here.

(optional)5. This step doesn't have to be done, I personally skip this because sideways springs work just as well. Take your cards and do a one handed shuffle 20 times in total 10 faceup 10 facedown with the pattern again explained in step 1.

Repeat these steps untill the cards reach your desired flexibility and smoothness.

After breaking them in, place them in a porper ( highly recommended ) or under 40-50 pounds of books for about 2 hours.

What cards to use?

Good question. Personally I use standard bicycles for magic, because I don't see a need to buy higher quality cards when they last pretty long, and I get them really cheap.

For flourishers, I would suggest Tally-Ho's, they aren't too expensive and there really nice quality.

Here you can get 12 decks for 1.50 a deck:
http://www.filmart.com/cgi-bin/filmart/TALHPC.html

The decks are circle back, 6 blue 6 red.

General Care:

Most of you already know these general things, but for beginners or those who don't, here you go.

WASH YOUR HANDS! If you wash your hands with cold soapy water, and dry your hands completely afterwards, your cards will last much longer. If you don't was your hands before you practice, flourish, perform, etc.; your cards will absorb moisture and get dirty which will make your cards sticky fast.

When your practicing and you feel your hands getting sweaty again, wash them again.

When practicing Cut the deck many times, never leave the bottom card or top the same for very long, or it will get warped due to the warmth of your hands.

Joe Porper Card Clip

Okay, im not going to write a review for this. As I have said before, I would highly recommend investing in a Joe Porper Card Clip. The price is high as hell for a card clip but WELL worth it. When I got mine I was like " that's it?" but I left a crappy old deck in it for a night and in the morning the fanned and handled like new. I always have a deck in mine. Your cards will last AND feel better longer if you use one.

If anyone has any other tips or general things to add in, please post. I'd also like to hear from the theory11 staff of how they care for there cards / break them in, :p. Let me know if I missed anything.

Other Tips from members:

KennanG: Don't touch your hair or face before or during you are handling the deck. Your hair and face contain grease which will start to wear your cards very quickly.

After working with coins, wash your hands or use hand sanatizer before you touch your deck. Coins are very dirty.

Travis

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
hey do you know what would be better for the guardians
porper regular or tiger/ghost/viper size?

Sep 3, 2007
nice guide... i just wanted to point that that if you live in the humid tropics... well, after u exit from an air-conditioned place, fanning or ribbon spreading out the cards to let the moisture to dry might a good idea to lengthen the lifespan of the cards... otherwise the dampness on the cards may cause them to expand become "eeekyy" over time.

I never really saw the need for THAT much breaking in. A lepaul spread or two back and front, a spring or two and it's pretty much set, I like my cards rather stiff though so maybe it's just personal preferance.

Aug 31, 2007
Maine, USA
Kenner said the deck almost has the same feel as David Blaine's Split Spades deck. The SS deck fits in my normal sized porper, and the guardian deck says riderback, air cushioned finished just like regular riderbacks, so I'm assuming that they will fit in a normal sized porper.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Great tips, Here are some of mine...

Don't touch your hair or face before or during you are handling the deck. Your hair and face contain grease which will start to wear your cards very quickly.

After working with coins, wash your hands or use hand sanatizer before you touch your deck. Coins are very dirty.

Those are my two tips ;)

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
I bought a card "Clip" Its just metal, I use it on my invincible deck when i'm not using it, but I should just put any deck in overnight.

Aug 31, 2007
Maine, USA
A deck clip and a Joe Porper deck clipare different. A regular clip just protects them. A Joe Porper puts even amounts of pressure on everywhere of the deck thus "flattening" it. The Joe Porper also makes the deck FEEL brand new.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results