Magic Pet Peeves

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Magicians who instantly make up solutions for tricks whenever people ask even if they do not know the real method. The false claim just takes away the necessary props the performer should be given.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
pet peeves I dont have the nerve to tell them to stop doing.

1) when friends or family call me to quickly turn my T.V on....David blaine street magic re-run.
2) when I go to see a magic shows or street show with friends and they all look at me after all the tricks like "can you do that one?"
this same thing happens to me a lot, I hate them =(

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I hate spectators who constantly say:
"Do that trick that [insert TV magician name here] does... you know... the one where he throws the cards on the window and my one's stuck on the other side... Oh yeah, can you do that one where he pulls the burger out of the picture and takes a bite and puts it back in the picture and the bitten bit is missing? What? You can't do it right now? You suck man."

I also hate "magicians" who post EXTREMELY POORLY TAUGHT tutorials of tricks that aren't even theirs (and they can't even perform it to deserve a one-star) on video hosting sites. "Hey, I can do a card colour changing trick! I'll teach you how and I will take full credit! Visit my site where I reveal more!"

I hate hecklers too. Everyone does. But they do help us try and improve our magic.

Anyway, that's enough for today...

Oct 8, 2007
1) when friends or family call me to quickly turn my T.V on....David blaine street magic re-run.
2) when I go to see a magic shows or street show with friends and they all look at me after all the tricks like "can you do that one?"

I was about to type in your #2, then I read the thread again and saw you already had it down. But yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine too. They are amazed by something on TV, ask me if I knew how to do it, then I say yes, but I don't tell them of course. Afterwards, they look at me as if I'm bluffing and I really didn't know the secret.

I agree with the other posters' pet peeves.

Some of mine are:

-Having to watch how the spectator unknowingly tampers and crimps and "ruins" my cards during performances.

-Seeing how many effects, gimmicks, decks, and other magic paraphernalia out there that I can't have.

-People who persuade me to tell them the secret.

-People who comment on magic videos saying "nice trick! can you do it without that gimmick?" or "nice! I can see long and short cards and I only saw 26 cards!" and any other wisecrack comments.

-The guys that call on me to entertain and show them them some magic all the time as if I'm like a TV or something.

-People who tell others how I do the magic, hassle me during a trick. AKA hecklers.

I have many more pet peeves, these will do for now. (or i'm just lazy) :D

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
1. "Professional magicians" who invent magic tricks only to release them.
2. Wannabe "professional magicians"
3. Cool street magicians
4. Big magic companies as an idea
5. "I'm a visual learner"
I do agree that DVDs have sometimes some good material, but I don't think that anyone can dismiss books and want to be a good magician. Or at least it will be a very hard way.

I have 2 huge pet peeves and they are as follows:

1: Random kids who can't even do the trick in the first place, revealing how to do them on youtube!

and 2: The fact that half the kids who reveal the tricks can't speak english or have such a heavy accent that you have to go to freetranslations.com to figure it out!

I hate that!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results