Last Night

Aug 31, 2007
Amman, Jordan
Yeah so my friends and I decide to roll out to a swanky part of town to chill at an ice cream parlor because my two house mates want to use the free wi-fi there. As we're sitting outside I take out my cards and do what I always do when I'm bored, practice flourishes. So the proprietor of the establishment compliments me saying that I'm pretty damn good with cards. I say thanks and wanted to be done with it, but my house mates are like hey he can show you some tricks if you want. So I'm in a pickle, I don't really practice magic that much anymore so the number of tricks I can do well, is........2, and I haven't really performed that much, but I don't wanna wuss out so I agree. So the proprietor goes and fetches his friend who takes out his hand phone and begins to record me as I do some carnahan fans, LePaul spreads, Under pressure, vertigo, madonna, Eko, molecule and what not. After flourishing I did a molecule 2 reveal followed by the biddle trick. During all this I'm shaking like hell to the point where the guy is like, "why are you shaking man? You don't have to be nervous." During all this I'm speaking my broken Arabic and he's speaking broken English.

So my question is two-fold, first how do I control my shakes and two, how do I overcome the language barrier without doing the obvious, which is learning the language which is why I'm in Jordan in the first place. Sorry if this sounds utterly confusing and jumbled up, but any advice would be really nice, thanks guys.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Your shakes will go after you perform more and more. They aren't necessarily there because you're nervous, they're also there because of the adrenelin rush which you most likely had. Don't worry about 'em. I know it sucks, but yeah - they'll go with time.

To overcome the language barrier, try to learn some stuff that doesn't really need a whole lot of patter and is more on the visual side of things.

Sep 1, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
ymost of the trick on trilogie can be perform without so much patter. the only thing that you have to say is like HEY PICK A CARDS or REMEMBER ONE PLZ. COMMERCIAL in the 10n1 is my favorite trick to do when I don't want to patter much. If you have the trilogy you can perform it.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hm, I can't really think of any off the top of my head at the moment, but I think anything that involves vanishes or changes are your best bet.

For example, I performed the vanishing silk to my 3 year old cousin.. he can't even talk and he still understood what went on. I then changed the red silk into a yellow and he loved it.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that, but it was an example, you know?

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Distortion would work well. Oh and Jakeh, I love your signature.

Yep, Distortion is another one. And thanks. :p

Oh, I just thought - perhaps you could do some loop work.. or any IT work would be good, I suppose. Maybe even the Hovercard thing, over at E.

Some of Sankey's stuff is pretty visual, too.

Nov 30, 2007
I assume you have the Trilogy if you do flourishing. I would learn the tricks on there, they are great! Great!

you simply should perform more. The more you do this the more comfortable you'll feel when performing.

For example, I used to shake all teh time but now that I am a restaurant magician I can walk up to a guy in a terrible neighborhood whos is armed with a gun robbing a CVS and do a trick with all that going on. just kidding but I can now work under pressure.

WARNING: None of the above stories have ever really happened.we urge you never to try this as there is a 99.9% chance of death.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results