DVD // Brian Tudor // King of Cards // Showoff 3 // Review

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: BRIAN TUDOR – KING OF CARDS:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: SHOWOFF VOLUME 3 Review::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Contents:
• Rev 4
• Tudor Production
• Castro 360º
• Double Direction Spring
• “Asher, Diving Board Shouldn't be a Double!"
• YTBN 2
• Rev 5
• A Bit Louder
• What The Hell Happened to Syble 3
• The Tudor Tower
• The Tudor Cut 2

You can purchase this DVD at Brian Tudor Productions for $26.25.

For those interested in a trailer, you can see one here.

Prethoughts:
Since the time when I started flourishing around 3 years ago, I have always enjoyed Brian’s extensive list of material. Whilst I didn’t really seem to enjoy his card magic, his flourishing was some of the most creative I’ve seen. Having thoroughly enjoyed his previous Showoff Volumes, I was eager to get my hands on the third instalment. Here’s what I thought…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DVD - The Foreword:
Wow, has Brian just got out of bed – or is the make-up artist blind? His hair is all over the place; I would have thought for a DVD he is selling he may have bothered to perhaps look half-decent. Either way, I do agree with everything mentioned in the foreword – he sheds light to the fact that people have complained his flourishing isn’t smooth because of his speed, but retaliates and explains he enjoys it being that way. I knew from the first few minutes of watching that this DVD volume it would be extremely different to any other; it is much more personal and is straight to the point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rev 4:
This one-handed cut is the fourth instalment of Tudor's Revolution series. It looks very cool and- uh, there’s no verbal explanation?! It’s just performed slow?! What the f- oh, that was just a quick two-angle run-through…Nice. I’m glad to see there’s verbal explanation here; it seems to be the sort of thing that’s missing in most videos. Eh? Hold on! Rewind – I’ve missed most of it; he’s already pinching packets before I can pick up mine! It turns out this verbal explanation is 21 seconds long. What I thoroughly enjoyed most about his explanations is in his phrase at the end: “That’s the explanation for the one handed Revolution 4, g’luck.” I shall bloo’y need it! You speak as fast as you flourish, damnit!

My Score: 3/5

Tudor Production:
Very cool, another slow run-through before the verbal explanation. Whilst I don’t see much point of it for a production, I guess it is quite helpful – if his explanation is like his previous, I shall definitely need this if I want to learn it! Ah, on to the verbal explanation... what the hell is this guy on? “One thing is, you can go for the angle I shot it at. And you can also off-beat them too, so it’s not – this is a legitimate f---ing production, it’s no f---ing… You know, yeah, I wanted to choose the Goddamn best angle, who the f--- wouldn’t, y’know?

LOL. The thing I disliked about this is in its setup; I cannot see anyone getting into this production from a real-life performance as it is far too drawn-out. I also loved the fact that Brian didn’t even take the time to remove a four of a kind in order to explain it; he simply used four indifferent cards. To beat that, he also taught it wrong as only two of the cards ended face-up in the display! Oh, and again, “So.. g’luck”. :)

My Score: 1/5

Castro 360º:
I bet you can guess what I will say now. Yeppers, another nice slow run-through followed by a verbal explanation. I have certainly always loved the Castro Cut since purchasing his “Generation Extreme” DVD; I thought it did an excellent job teaching in there. I am sure he’ll do an even better one here… right?.... right?

He beat his record! 15 seconds of explanation, beautifully done, Mr Tudor. I can safely say that those who have no understanding of his techniques from past videos should certainly not buy this - “Okay so, that is – y’know, you gotta learn the Castro Cut, man… Create your own s---, get off my balls.” Thanks for the moral support, I feel much better now. :)

Double Direction Spring
It’s that time again, can you guess what I’ll say? I thought so… but you’re wrong – there’s no slowed-down footage here, gotcha!! Ahem, well. In hindsight this is probably a good thing, because his explanation here was actually fairly decent. Whilst he was brief, he went over the movements twice – I suppose that makes up for the lack of footage there. As for the move itself, I’m not sure I completely enjoy it. It’s a very interesting idea but it seems to me a poor attempt at creating something, he’s almost clutching at straws. Either way, I am sure a couple of people will find use for it somewhere.

My Score: 2/5

Part 2:

“Asher, Diving Board Shouldn't be a Double!":
Back to the usual again, we are shown slowed-down footage following a verbal explanation. This is another one-handed cut which mixes Brian’s One-Handed Revolution II and Lee Asher’s Diving Board Double-technique. It’s a very interesting combo and I quite like it. As Brian states himself, shooting a packet is certainly much harder than a double. (Well, he says words to that effect, but it comes out more like, “Shooting a Goddamn packet is f---ing hard to do, take it from me.”)

Now this seems like a f---ing knock on this guy, and it’s not. And I like the guy, I always did. He snubbed me one time in Oregon, and he doesn’t wanna f---ing book me for Lectures or some’in, and I have to wait a year or some bulls--- like that. So I kinda have some beef about that. And then I also kinda found out he’s talking **** about me online – but then again, who doesn’t, right?” I have no clue, Brian!

YTBN 2:
YTBN – an acronym for “Yet To Be Named”. This is perhaps one of my favourite cuts of Brian’s arsenal. Cards flip and flop practically everywhere in such a small space of time – not to mention in just one hand! I absolutely love the look of this, it’s beautiful – some could say ‘eyegasmic’. Again, there’s a rather poor explanation but it is certainly a beautiful cut in my opinion.

My Score: 5/5

Rev 5:
Interestingly enough, again there’s no slow-motion replay before the verbal explanation. Either way, for those who are familiar with Dan and Dave Buck’s “Erdnase Go Round” flourish, (published in The Trilogy DVD set) they will realize the similarities here. However, I personally dislike Brian’s handling, though I am sure some may enjoy it and find it useful.

A Bit Louder:
This another Castro Cut variation, which is a little more complex than both the original and the Castro 360º shown prior to this. There is no verbal explanation, but merely a slow-motion replay. All together, I prefer the original Castro Cut than either of these variations.

What The Hell Happened To Syble 3:
I have always loved the What The Hell Happened to Syble instalments and this variation is an interesting approach to the opener. Brian suggests using this if you want to be different, and he explains that he wanted to create something for the opener. Much in his own words, “What’s neat about is that the cut actually happens as you get into the grips. So I wanted to start something at the beginning with this piece.” I’m sure you’ll all be shocked, but his verbal explanation here is certainly not up to scratch. You may now lift your jaws from the floor – if you want.

My Score: 4/5

The Tudor Tower:
Armed with just a performance and one slow-motion replay, you are surely not going to learn this easily. There is absolutely no verbal messages shown during this cut and it is an impossible task for any beginner to learn. Even after 3 years of flourishing, I also had difficulties understanding and following what was taking place. Despite that, the display itself is very interesting in its approach and I’m sure that some people will take the time to learn it and do it justice. The only thing I can suggest is to watch out for that final packet – it’s a bugger; I wouldn’t be surprised if you pop your eye out with it, damn thing!

My Score: 4/5

The Tudor Cut 2:
Probably the most original flourish on this DVD. It shows a unique sense of magic and flourishing combined together. It reminds me of the old Cardini performances, where packets would keep appearing and the magician would be confused by it, but he would continue what he was doing anyway – it’s a beautiful premise and I wish that more of these were out nowadays.

As for learning this, it is not an easy task! Brian does another fairly rough job in explaining the flourish and he even admits that it is not a fully polished routine. He explains that the cuts that happen are not always the same, “The one thing about this is it’s always different. It never – there’s not a solid – these cuts and these cuts are always different. To match the timing where this hand and this hand finish, I try to get – I do so - maybe I take out a cut out of the left hand to match that speeding, because it’s always different.

After 21 seconds of immensely in-depth explanation, Brian ends with a new catchphrase: “That’s the explanation of the Tudor Cut 2, adiós!” (Since when did he learn Spanish?)

My Score: 5/5

DVD - The Afterword:
Throughout his speech, Brian goes from talking fairly calmly to almost blatant shouting due to his anger-eruptions. I even recall him speaking about his critics, “It’s an artform you dumb motherf---ers!” Despite that, much like the Foreword to his DVD, Brian does say some true things. He explains that it is much more satisfying to create your own material; and that’s where the true magic lies. He also says something that I think is worth remembering:

No matter how much you create, you’ll never scratch the possibilities of things you can create. You’ll never scratch the surface of possibilities – it doesn’t end.

Aftertoughts
Well… that was, different? Some may even call it daylight robbery, but I shall stick with different. The most obvious thing about this DVD is Brian’s attitude and anger – it’s blatant that he has no enjoyment doing this production at all. To me, it seems more of an excuse to get his views across rather than to teach his material. Either way, the fact is, if you’re a beginner – don’t get it, unless you want to waste 30 bob. And if you’re advanced and want a challenge, then get it.

Overall, the production quality is fantastic, but the content quality is shameful and disgusting – but if you want a good laugh, then I would not recommend it enough. Brian’s constant lack of vocabulary is shown only through constructive words; but there is plenty when it comes to profanity… Me like. :)

I am sure many people will be mumbling the backing track played during the introduction. It seems to make a lot of sense here:

“I wish, I wish,
I wish it was… all that easy”

Jordan J. D. Lapping - 22.04.2008

Sep 1, 2007
Good review Jordan, about the "Double-Direction Spring", you should have mentioned that this is a blatant (and badly done) rip-off of the "Half-and-half Spring" which has been in Jerry's Encyclopedia for YEARS! and LOL at Brian's teaching of this move... are you ready... it's:

"Spring up, then spring down"

YES that is ALL THE TEACHING he gives on that terrible performance. what a joke! I have to say I laughed hard throughout this entire DVD and for that, it was worth the price.

hyo

Sep 1, 2007
Hell, great review Jordan and very entertaining writting style!

But what are you saying 'bout the tudor tower? It isn't really hard at all and easy to learn, since all you have to do is pivot some cards and do a thumb-cut once in a while. And the last card won't hurt your eye if you're careful xD.

Anyways 5/5 Jordan.

Hell, great review Jordan and very entertaining writting style!

But what are you saying 'bout the tudor tower? It isn't really hard at all and easy to learn, since all you have to do is pivot some cards and do a thumb-cut once in a while. And the last card won't hurt your eye if you're careful xD.

Anyways 5/5 Jordan.

Thats what i was thinking, you just have to watch the slowed down part a few(million) times to realize whats happening. Anyways great review Jordan.

haha nice review, tho the title annoys me, i like using //'s, but theres a few too many, just a few :p

LOL, sorry about that, Joe. I actually did that as a bit of a joke; I figured if I were to go all out with this review, I may as well have some fun with it. Thanks for the comments everyone - I'm glad it could be of any help or entertainment value, lol. :)

Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Great review, dude.

Is it just me or does Brain Tudor look like a cross between Heath Ledger and Stephen Segal?

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
LOL, sorry about that, Joe. I actually did that as a bit of a joke; I figured if I were to go all out with this review, I may as well have some fun with it. Thanks for the comments everyone - I'm glad it could be of any help or entertainment value, lol. :)

Jordan

dont get me wrong though, the review was great, i kinda forgot to mention it so good job! :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results